3 comments

Mystery Thriller

The crack of thunder grab Joey from a deep slumber. She would normally be annoyed but the storm brewing outside saved her from a reoccurring nightmare. Joey slowly reached her arm up to the top of her head and patted to make sure her scarf she had placed there before she went to bed was still on. She would hate for her curls to be a mess in the morning. Assuring that her scarf was still Joey then leaned over to her left to turn on my neon night light that sat on her nightstand. She hit the switch, nothing. It was normal for sometimes the sign to decided it didn't want to work. Joey now fumbled around trying to find her phone. She knew it had to be in her bed somewhere. Joey had spent most of the night sweet talking with Vince, her boyfriend of the week. She could feel the fuzzy phone case that she kept on her phone. Not really protecting it from anything, just a cute fuzzy case. Joey pulled her phone from the charger it was attached to and brought it up to her face. Nothing. That was weird. Normally her phone would be fully charged by now. She reached down to make sure her plug was still in the socket. It was. " I must have a short in my charger", Joey thought to herself. Joey climbed out of her queen sized bed to try and find another charger. Maybe her younger brother Myles might have one. She carefully navigated her body across her bedroom, making sure to not bump into anything. She reached what appeared to be her bedroom door. The darkness in her room surrounded her eyes. Even with the occasional flash of lightening, Joey still found it hard to see. Joey ran her hand across the wall landing on the light switch. She flicked the switch up and down several times, no light. "Dammit". She whispered under her breath. She would now have to walk blindly to her brothers room. She slowly made her way down the dark hallway, stopping only at Myles door. She knocked, no answer. Myles must have been in a comatose sleep. Probably one of the side effects of his new medication. As of lately Myles had been going off the deep end more and more often. Joey had heard her parents talking about maybe putting him in a hospital for help. She hated the idea of him having to spend his days locked up like a criminal. He was sick but Joey didn't think that would help. She knocked again and still no answer. Joey cautiously opened Myles door, making sure to move slow so she wouldn't frighten him. She scanned her brothers room for his body. All she found was her reflection in the mirror placed on top of his dresser. Joey could her tanned skin and fuller figure bouncing back off the glass. As she approached the mirror to look at herself more closely something caught her attention from the corner of her eye. Someone was in the back yard! She crept closure to the window. The silhouette looked to be her brother. She couldn't be one-hundred percent sure. Besides what was he doing at this time of night? Joey hastily made her way down the stairs hoping to get to the mystery man before her parents might notice. If it was her brother she didn't want her parents to find out. This would be another strike for sending Myles away. As she got closer to the backyard she could see through the screen door a tall slender figure that it was in fact Myles. You could tell that he was soaking wet. Even with all that added water, Myles looked as if he was only eighty pounds. He had stopped really eating. He claimed that the voices in his head told him we were trying to poison him. As Joey marched towards the door confusion slowly spread across her face. "What is he doing?", she questioned herself. It looked like Myles was in the process of digging a hole. As Joey stepped into the backyard her eyesight on Myles was broken. Sparks of electricity ran from the fuse box that was placed on the side of the house. There was an axe sticking out the box. This caused Joey to jump. She thought the storm had knocked the power out. Again not understanding what was going on, Joey turned her attention back to her brother. "Why had he stuck an axe though their power box?" She asked herself. It made no sense. She could now see through the drops of rain that Myles had two large sacks placed behind him and he was talking to himself. Joey creped up to her brother. "Myles!" she yelled out. He glanced towards her for only a brief second. He then proceeded to continue digging. Joey could hear Myles chanting to himself, " no lights... I can't see them and they can't see me." " They want them gone". " I can finally be left alone." Myles sounded like a record player as he continued to say those chilling words over and over again. Joey wasn't even sure if she was even looking at her brother anymore. She inched forward nearly falling over the two sacks on the ground. These sacks looked like two bodies stuffed in a bag. Joey knew this couldn't be the case. She reached to open one sack and out rolled a head. The head had long black now matted hair running from it. Even in such a state she could recognize the head of her mother. Joey let out a terrified scream as the head came to a stop. Her mothers horrified face looked up at her. Just then Myles turned his attention to his sister. He face now filled with glee. "Don't worry sister, the voices said you get to join them. Joey could now hear laughter coming from the hole. The laughter turned into chanting. How could she now hear the voices? Was she going crazy like her brother? The words started to surround her. Joey dropped to her knees as she let out a blood curling scream.  Myles approached her. "They want you gone and I can be left alone." he screamed as he lifted the shovel up to strike his sister.

September 05, 2020 10:25

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Philip Ebuluofor
17:57 Sep 17, 2020

Soon, it will be in big screen. Your first submission. Keep writing, good work.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Philip Ebuluofor
17:57 Sep 17, 2020

Soon, it will be in big screen. Your first submission. Keep writing, good work.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ariadne .
19:03 Sep 16, 2020

This is such a dark story. Psychological disorders are so so so scary - you captured it perfectly. It was terrifying and enthralling at the same time. Excellent story! Keep writing! Please check out my story and leave a like/comment!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.