0 comments

Fantasy

In the year 2098, seventy-five years after the 2023 conflict between USA, Russia, and South Asia, which resulted in the devastating WW III, the Earth still try to recover from a twenty-year nuclear winter who claimed the lives of millions of people.

With natural resources depleted, the few survivors live in the rubble of collapsed buildings, feeding mainly on wildlife, and some have even turned to cannibalism.

Nonetheless, there are signs of civilization in the safe zones. The safe zones are mainly the high-tech areas, such Silicon Valley, San Francisco, Washington DC, and other technologically advanced areas. Electric barbwire provides a protective barrier from cannibals, thieves, and vandals.

Behind the protective burrier, surviving scientists, engineers, and techies have successfully rebuilt solar generators and restored power.

 Travis White, thirty-five-year-old, self-proclaimed astrophysicist, known as dumb Travis the gofer, or the clown, and for any Dumb Travis out there, there’s the persecutor, the tyrant, the tormentor, thus, James Olsen.

James, a forty years old, three-hundred pounds biker-type gorilla, owns the only watering hole, he simply called James Tavern, in downtown San Francisco.

March twelve, 2098, was a somber and foggy day. Travis walked into the tavern and sat at the counter.

“Gentleman, I have an announcement. Are we alone? That is the question we have been asking for many years, and today I have the answer. We are not alone!”

“Is that so, Travis? Your Martian friends told you that?” James asked, and everyone laughed.

“You guys laugh all you want, but just a few hours ago I talked to Plato. That’s how he calls himself. He’s the captain of a spaceship and they are on the way to Earth. They are supposed to be arriving tomorrow and the rendezvous point is the old ferry building. There are here to help.”

“Travis, I don’t know what kind of drugs you’re in, but I want double. I want to ask Aphrodite to meri me,” James said to every once amusement.

 “No-guys, seriously. That’s how he calls himself. Plato. I know you guys don’t believe me, but be at the Ferry building tomorrow at Ten in the morning.” Travis insisted.

“So, you talked to Plato, that’s nice. Now, Travis, get out of my tavern before you infect my customers with your idiocy.”

“Just be at the ferry building…” - “Yeah Travis, I’ll be at the ferry building and a few minutes after Ten you’re gone get it-and it’s gone be good. I’m gone get medieval with your dumb ass. Now get out, I mean it.”

Disappointed, Travis walked out and gently closed the door behind him.

The next day at ten, James, with four of his regular customers, arrived at the ferry building just as a shuttle creeped through the overcast sky and softly landed on Levi’s Plaza.

“What the…, — he was telling the truth.” Said James.

They watched in awe as the door opened, not knowing what to expect. They were friendly, or hostile.

The man exited the shuttle did not look alien; he was tall and slender with sandy blond hair, dressed in a black overall suit.

“People of Earth,” spoke with a loud voice. “My name is Plato. I come from the planet Elpida. I am the leader of my people. My grandparents were born on this planet. They left Earth on an expedition to find life on other planets, and they settled on planet Elpida in the Andromeda constellation. Since we visited Earth many times.

An armada of starships with technology, manpower and material to help you restart your civilization arriving in two days.

We might be aliens on this planet, but this is the planet of our ancestors. Now that I’ve introduced myself, I would like to talk to your leader.”

“So! What you are telling us is that, out of the goodness of your alien little heart, you want to help. Alright, let’s just say I believe that. How did you know about the war -and you came prepared with men and material to help your ancestors? A little pigeon flew to your planet and talked to you?” James asked.

“No -James.” Plato said with a smile.

“How the hell do you know my name? Are you a mind reader?”

“No, I am not a mind reader. Some of my colleagues are your customers. We’ve been on this planet for many years. I’ve graduated from Oxford University; I’ve also taught philosophy at Harvard for a few years. The journey from Elpida to Earth…” — “What means Elpida?” James asked.

“Elpida is the Greek word for Hope. My ancestors were from Greece. That’s why they named me Plato. The trip to Earth is a five-year journey, but we had to wait for the nuclear winter to end. The radiation interfered with our satellites, and we couldn’t read life signs. We did not know if there were survivors. We left as soon as we confirm life on the planet.”

“So, you’ve been spying on us?” 

“No James, we do not spy. We are learning. Elpida is a new planet with no history, no past. Earth is our history, a history we must learn.”

Since, March thirteenth, became a historic date and declared a national holiday. In a few short years, the Elpidians helped to rebuild our civilization. They provide new technology, new architecture, and a better way of life. The old Wardenclyffe tower, otherwise known as Tesla’s tower, became operational for the first time since was built in 1902, two hundred years ago. Free wireless electricity for everyone. The technology replicated worldwide and resolve the pollution issue.

 A few days before the departure of the Elpidian armada, the son of Plato, Aristotele, walked into his father’s quarters. He looked puzzled, confused.

“What trouble you, Aristo?” Plato asked.

“Father, I want to remain on Earth.”

“Would you like to talk to me?”

“I met the most beautiful woman in the universe, and I want to marry her. She loves me, but she doesn’t want to leave Earth.”

“Are you sure you want to do this?”

“Yes, father, I love her too much and I know she loves me too.”

“Very well, my son. You are an adult. It’s your life. You do not need my approval. When do I get to meet the young lady who stole my son’s heart?”

Two weeks later, the wedding ceremony was broadcast worldwide. After the ceremony, the armada left Earth’s orbit, and the couple departed for their honeymoon to an Elpidian colony on planet Venus. Upon the return from Venus, Aristotele, unanimously elected President of the United States.

November twenty-second, 2113, Aristotele attended the one hundred and fiftieth memorial of JFK assassination in Dealey Plaza in downtown Texas where he was assassinated.

August 10, 2023 14:25

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.