0 comments

Fantasy Creative Nonfiction Happy

William stood at the base of the shimmering portal, heart racing in a rhythm only nervous excitement could compose. He adjusted his tie—an old habit, even though the interstellar travel suit he wore had no tie at all. This was it: his first trip to Andromeda, the galaxy of dreams, of vibrant hues, and of course, where his blind date awaited. He chuckled to himself, the pun unintended—she was literally blind, after all. A mutual friend had set this up, claiming they were a perfect match. “She’ll show you the unseen wonders of Andromeda,” the friend had said with a twinkle in his eye. William wondered if this was another one of those “special” setups that usually ended in awkward silence and long-distance excuses.

“Prepare for departure,” a melodious voice chimed from the portal’s entrance. The attendant, a being with translucent skin that shimmered with a kaleidoscope of colors, smiled warmly at him. “You’re going to love it there, sir. Andromeda is… beyond imagination.”

William took a deep breath and stepped through the portal, his body tingling as reality bent around him. For a split second, he felt like a drop of paint splashing into a cosmic canvas, colors and sensations exploding in his mind. And then, just as quickly, it was over. He blinked, and the world came into focus—a world unlike any he had ever seen.

Andromeda was alive with color. The sky was a deep indigo, but it shimmered with streaks of emerald, ruby, and gold, like an endless aurora borealis. The air itself seemed to hum with energy, and the ground beneath his feet felt like soft, velvet grass that pulsated gently as if breathing. Flowers the size of his head bobbed cheerfully along the roadside, their petals glowing softly in shades of turquoise and magenta. And there, standing just a few paces away, was his date.

She was strikingly beautiful, with hair that cascaded like liquid silver and skin the color of sun-kissed caramel. Her eyes, though unseeing, were a mesmerizing shade of lavender. She wore a dress that seemed woven from the very stars themselves, twinkling with every movement. She smiled as he approached, her head tilting slightly to one side as if listening to a tune only she could hear.

“William?” she asked, her voice soft yet filled with a playful curiosity.

“Yes, that’s me,” he replied, suddenly feeling a little more at ease. “And you must be Aria?”

“That’s right,” she said, extending a hand. Her touch was warm and grounding, a stark contrast to the surreal world around them. “Welcome to Andromeda. I’m so glad you decided to come.”

“Well, I’ve always been up for an adventure,” William grinned. “And this place certainly seems… adventurous.”

Aria laughed, a sound like tinkling glass. “You have no idea. But don’t worry, I’ll be your guide. Shall we?”

They started walking down the cobblestone path that seemed to twist and turn with a life of its own, leading them deeper into a bustling market. Stalls lined the streets, each one more bizarre and wonderful than the last. One vendor was selling clouds in glass jars, each cloud a different flavor. Another offered pocket-sized galaxies in ornate crystal orbs. A little further down, a group of musicians played instruments made from what looked like beams of light, the notes hanging in the air like glowing fireflies.

“Want to try some cloud candy?” Aria asked, pointing to the vendor with a playful smile.

William hesitated for a moment. “Why not?” he said, embracing the spirit of the day.

The vendor handed him a jar with a smile. “This one’s marshmallow rain,” he said. William unscrewed the lid, and, to his surprise, a tiny puff of cloud floated out, gently bumping into his face. He opened his mouth to laugh, and the cloud melted on his tongue, tasting like the sweetest, fluffiest marshmallow he’d ever eaten.

“Wow, that’s incredible!” he exclaimed, and Aria giggled.

“Just wait until you try the lemon thunder,” she teased.

They continued exploring, with Aria leading the way. She seemed to know everyone, greeting each creature and person with warmth and familiarity. William watched her with fascination. Though she was blind, she moved with a confidence and grace that suggested she saw more than he ever could.

“So, what do you do, William?” Aria asked as they passed by a fountain that spouted shimmering, color-changing water.

“I’m a poet,” he replied, watching as a group of children—three-eyed and covered in scales—splashed joyfully in the water. “I write stories and poems, mostly.”

“Ah, a man of words,” Aria said, smiling. “You must see the world in a very unique way.”

“I try to,” he said. “But I think you’ve got me beat. You seem to know everyone here, and you move like you’re dancing.”

“It’s all about listening,” Aria replied. “Everything here has its own music, its own rhythm. Once you learn to hear it, it’s easy to find your way.”

William found himself captivated by her words. There was something almost magical about her perspective—a way of seeing the world without sight, of hearing stories in the silence. As they walked, Aria began telling him tales of Andromeda. She spoke of the Sea of Dreams, where the water was made of liquid imagination and swimmers could dive into their own fantasies. She described the Forest of Whispers, where the trees spoke in hushed tones, sharing secrets with those who listened.

As she spoke, they wandered further, arriving at a large, open field. The ground was covered with giant, soft dandelions that glowed in the twilight. “This is my favorite place,” Aria said, her voice dropping to a whisper. “It’s called the Field of Wishes. Each dandelion here is a wish that’s waiting to come true.”

“Really?” William asked, looking around in wonder. “How do they work?”

“You just pluck one, think of your wish, and blow,” she said, demonstrating with a graceful motion. The dandelion fluff scattered into the air, twinkling like tiny stars before vanishing.

William plucked a dandelion and closed his eyes, thinking hard. I wish for a great story to tell, he thought, and blew. The fluff danced in the air around him, sparkling as it disappeared.

Suddenly, the ground beneath them rumbled. “Oh, looks like you’ve awakened the Wish Wyrms,” Aria said with a grin.

“The what now?” William barely had time to ask before the ground split open, and a swarm of small, dragon-like creatures, each no bigger than a cat, erupted from the earth. They were covered in scales that glittered in all the colors of the rainbow, and their tiny wings flapped furiously as they soared around, chasing the dandelion fluff.

“Don’t worry,” Aria said, laughing at William’s wide-eyed expression. “They’re harmless. They just love the dandelions. It’s like catnip to them.”

William couldn’t help but laugh as well, the absurdity of the situation hitting him all at once. Here he was, on a blind date with a blind woman in a galaxy far, far away, being chased by rainbow-colored dragonets. “I’ve got to admit,” he said, dodging a particularly enthusiastic wyrm, “this is the most interesting date I’ve ever been on.”

They spent the next few minutes playing with the wyrms, who seemed to enjoy the game as much as they did. William even managed to catch one and hold it for a moment. It was warm in his hands, its scales smooth and cool, and it chirped happily before wriggling free and flying off again.

After the wyrms had finally tired themselves out and disappeared back into the ground, William and Aria lay down in the field, catching their breath. The sky above was a riot of colors now, the sun setting in a spectacular display of violet, orange, and pink.

“This place is incredible,” William said softly, staring up at the sky.

“It is,” Aria agreed. “And there’s so much more to see. So many stories waiting to be told.”

“Maybe I could write some of them down,” William mused. “If you don’t mind.”

“I’d like that,” Aria said, turning her head to him with a smile. “I’d like that a lot.”

They lay there in companionable silence for a while, just watching the sky and listening to the gentle hum of the world around them. William felt a warmth in his chest, a sense of contentment and wonder that he hadn’t felt in a long time. He realized he was genuinely happy—something he hadn’t expected from a blind date in a galaxy millions of light-years away.

As the stars began to twinkle into view, Aria sat up and stretched. “Come on,” she said, offering him a hand. “There’s one more place I want to show you.”

They walked back toward the city, the lights twinkling in the distance like a thousand tiny jewels. Aria led him down a narrow alley, and William wondered what new surprise awaited them. They emerged into a small courtyard, and William gasped.

Before them was a tree—an enormous, ancient tree with a trunk as wide as a house. Its leaves glowed softly, casting a warm, golden light that filled the courtyard. Hanging from its branches were hundreds of tiny lanterns, each one containing a different-colored flame. The flames flickered and danced as if alive, casting playful shadows on the ground.

“This is the Tree of Stories,” Aria said softly. “Each lantern represents a different tale. If you listen closely, you can hear them.”

William closed his eyes and listened. At first, he heard only the soft rustling of the leaves. But then, slowly, he began to hear it—a soft murmur of voices, like a distant whisper. Stories of love and loss, of adventure and discovery, of joy and sorrow. Each one unique, yet all connected by the branches of the great tree.

“It’s beautiful,” he whispered, opening his eyes to look at Aria. “Thank you for showing me this.”

Aria smiled, her eyes twinkling with the light of a thousand stories. “Thank you for coming,” she said. “And for listening. Not everyone does.”

They stood there for a while, just listening to the stories and watching the lanterns flicker in the night. William felt a sense of peace wash over him, a feeling of being exactly where he was meant to be.

As they finally turned to leave, William knew that this was a story he would cherish forever—a story of colors and music, of laughter and wonder, and of a blind date that had opened his eyes to a whole new world.

August 28, 2024 20:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.