2 comments

Romance Teens & Young Adult Drama

"Don't try Blake. What's done is done." I argue, wiping tears away from my face.

"Alex. You're not li-"

"It's clear as day! You cheated on me. At least own up to that." I shout, flicking some stray ginger hair away from my face.

"Alex. I didn't cheat." He deadpans, running a frustrating hand through his brown hair.

I hate myself for thinking he looks amazing.

"I caught you redhanded Blake."

He rolls his eyes. "Maybe if you listened to what I had to say."

"You want me to listen so I can get my heart broken? Is that it? For you to tell me it's nothing, or maybe that I got it all wrong?" I screech.

"You do have it wrong."

"Yeah, I do," I mumble, "I had you wrong all this time. You're not who I thought you are."

He groans. "Alex, I love you."

"Yeah, it looks like it."

I grab the heels the girl left on the floor and shove them at Blake's chest.

"I hope you had a swell time." I snarl.

He scoffs. "I didn't want her to walk around the house with shoes on. I know you hate it when I do that."

"How nice of you to think about me when screwing someone else!" I accuse, my voice dripping with sarcasm.

"I didn't screw around with her."

"Yes, you did!" I accuse, dropping the heels to the floor.

The heels are Louboutin's. She must be rich. Why am I even jealous? Anger flares in me.

"You can pack your stuff up and get out."

"And where am I supposed to go? This is OUR house and I haven't done anything wrong!" He defends, his green eyes darting between me and the door.

Is he expecting her to come back?

"I don't care where you stay. I think the streets are calling your name anyway."

He chuckles. "You're always jumping to conclusions. I can't believe that you immediately thought I was cheating on you."

"Are you trying to gaslight me?!" I accuse, jabbing at his chest.

He catches my hands swiftly and drops it back to my side.

"I'm not doing anything. I'm trying to get you to notice how insecure you are."

"How insecure I am? Gee, how am I supposed to feel when a stunning blonde babe walks out of OUR apartment?"

"I get where you're coming from but-"

"But what Blake? What are you going to say?"

"But... I didn't cheat. I'm telling you I love you."

"And I love you. But, you've broken my heart."

He groans. "You are beautiful. I only have eyes for you which is why-"

"Which is why you cheated on me?" I bawl, tears crawling down my face.

My nose instantly becomes blocked and I breath through my mouth. He holds me in his strong, muscular arms. The scent of mints drifts through my stuffed nose, mixed with the smell of expensive cologne. I sob into his chest, annoyed with myself for letting him comfort me like this. Annoyed that he's seeing my cry over his stupid mistake.

"I didn't cheat on you. She was here because-"

His phone blares on the coffee table. We stand still and silent, the sound of his heart beat in my ears. I pull away and glare at him. Anger curses through me when I glance over and see 'Amber' on the screen.

"She's calling you? I bet she's trying to ask if you got rid of me."

"Alex, calm down. God, you're so beautiful."

I blush at the compliment before realising what's happening. "Don't. Why the hell did I fall for that?! Don't you dare try and distract me. Calling me beautiful isn't going to cut it."

"Alex. We've been dating since we were 15. This is 10 years of a relationship. Do you really think I'd throw it away?"

No.

"Alex?"

"No." I finally answer.

He wipes at my face. "Will you finally listen to me baby?"

I nod and follow him as he leads us over to our cream couch. The fake fireplace cackles menacingly in the background. I turn towards him and let him take hold of my small hands. He holds them up to his mouth, kissing my ring finger before putting our hands down in between us.

"Explain yourself."

"O-"

"But before you do, just know that if I feel like you're making me look like an idiot, I'll slap you and leave."

"Such a feisty redhead." He muses.

I glare at him even though a small smile slips out.

"Blake, stop wasting time and explain."

"Amber is a jeweller."

"Seriously? Is that your excuse? What was she jeweling? Your arm. Maybe in between your le-"

He cuts me off by pressing a finger to my mouth.

"Shush. She's someone I called to make an engagement ring and she just happened to deliver it today."

I gape at him, my eyes widened in horror. I shouted at her and practically chased her out of our apartment. It's almost laughable. He pulls a box out of his back pocket and I still.

"Will you do me the honour of marrying me?"

He drops onto his knee and holds my hand out. I burst out laughing. This will be a story for everyone to hear.

'How'd you get engaged?' someone would ask.

I'd reply saying: 'I accused him of cheating with the jeweller who came to drop the ring off. I chased her out the house and almost kicked Blake out, all for him just to get down on one knee. It's romantic right?'

"Blake. I don't know what to say." I mumble.

"Yes?" He offers.

"I don't think I could possibly say yes after how I acted."

He slips the ring onto my ring finger. I hold my hand out in front of me. Diamonds are embedded around the outside of the ring with a rose gold diamond in the middle, stealing the spotlight. The ring truly is amazing.

"Do you like it?"

"I owe Amber a thank you and a huge apology. It's beautiful."

"I'll call her back here."

Before he can grab his phone, I take hold of his hands.

"I'm sorry. You're right, I instantly accused you without getting to know the full story. I guess I really am insecure."

"It's alright. It was funny watching you get possessive over me and kick her out."

I grimace. "I really did lose my cool. I love you."

"I love you."

He pecks my lips lightly and presses down on my stomach.

"Maybe you can call Amber tomorrow." I offer, unbuttoning his shirt.

"I guess Amber can wait..."

He lands a kiss on my nose.

"I love you Blake."

July 07, 2021 02:11

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Elizabeth Maxson
14:00 Jul 15, 2021

This is a very honest and real story. The emotions you created for these characters can truly be felt by your readers. The argument made the story read quickly which added extra tension to their emotions. I have two suggestions for your story. The first echoes the comment below. I was unsure why a jeweler would make a house call. It could certainly happen, but since it is not normal an explanation would make it more believable to your readers. Second, I wish there would have been other incriminating coincidences besides a pair of expensi...

Reply

Show 0 replies
23:21 Jul 14, 2021

Loved it. I feel like I'm Alex deep down. I'm sure I'd be like 'So why she have to be in the apartment,? You couldnt go to the store?'

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.