Always Check The Pockets

Submitted into Contest #197 in response to: Write a story that includes the phrase “I’m free!”... view prompt

14 comments

Sad

Nobody liked her and everyone cheered when she died. Or would have done if she had ever taken the time to get to know anyone. I only knew her by way of being related to her. I am Mary Veronica Findlay’s granddaughter and it has fallen on me to do her house clearance.

It’s not like people haven’t tried over the years. I wrote her a letter when I was 18, saying my mother wouldn’t disclose why she fell out with her, but I bore her no ill will and would she like me to come and visit. “I’m too old to be entertaining young guests” was her reply. When my mum passed away of cancer, Mary declared she was too frail to attend the funeral. Eventually everyone Mary knew grew weary of her frostiness, her excuses, the pessimism that seemed to pervade every little interaction. Even the Christmas cards which I kept up just for a hint of normalcy were filled with how she, the country and its people were all going to wrack and ruin, before she’d quickly sign off, claiming she had to ‘run’ to the post office before it closed.

There’s only a few things left to go now. The mattress (the charity van guys would not take it. One of them cited hygiene reasons as I watched him pick his nose and flick it into the tulips). A few bits of crockery, which I’m going to take to my ex Jerry for valuation as he loves his Wedgwood (more than he ever loved me, but I’ve made my peace with that now). A grandfather clock (Mary’s substitute for my grandfather? – who shuffled off in his late fifties, a myocardial infarction I always suspect was nagged into being by his wife constantly tearing into him). And a beautiful peach coloured leather jacket, that seemed a beacon of fleshy hope on the grey gloomy bones of the stripped back house.

My plan was by uploading the coat on the local listings pages under the title “I’m Free!”, the curious and discerning folk of Faversham will be lured in, then see the further four bags of clothes, most of equal beauty or above, peeping out from the bedroom whose door while carefully be left ajar. Which I’ll be charging for based on what I think the new would-be models can afford. Hell, I’ve been judged throughout this process, from the nurses that were calling four times daily to do blood tests who were obviously wondering why I hadn’t showed up sooner, to the guy I sold her lawnmower to who asked if I needed my topiary trimmed while I was there. So it’s time to turn the tablets. And turn the nest of tables that were in the living room into firewood, as there were no takers and I already called the energy company to close Mary’s accounts. I did laps of the living room while on the phone to the funeral directors just so I could get some feeling back into my frozen feet.

Back when I finally unearthed my spare key and first set (warmer) foot in Mary’s house, to the untrained eye it looked like something straight off the cover of Ideal Home. A floor you could eat off, a ceiling no spiders dangled off, and a kitchen in which you’d be proud to host a bake off. But take a closer look and you would have spotted the photo frames that lined the windowsills and mantle were just that – frames. She’d either left the pictures that they came with inside or cut pictures out of National Geographic and stuck those in. Making it appear to the casual observer that she had lived a life well-travelled, when in fact she had rarely ventured further than the bottom of the garden to put the bins out on collection day.

I had knocked on the neighbours’ doors to inform them of Mary’s passing and was met repeatedly with indifference that occasionally morphed into intrigue; not as to the circumstances of her death, but whether I was looking to give away any of her belongings. They were all in council accommodation too, they knew the rules. You had four weeks to clear the place before you had to hand the keys in. Sally from No. 65 insisted on walking me back as I looked “so pale and overwhelmed, dear”. She held my elbow (bit weird) and promptly dropped it as we turned the corner into Mary’s garden and swept up as many plant and garden ornaments as she could fill her arms with. She saved me the tedious job of listing them or the physical effort of disposing of them, I suppose. Then some woman I’d never met in my life knocked on the door at 8am the next morning to say she’d heard the news and could she have the sewing machine. I pretended not to be in after that and spent sunny days indoors, photographing and posting descriptions of items in Mary’s bedroom on my laptop with the curtains drawn.

Turns out it’s harder to give something away for free than it is to try and sell it. Here’s a selection of the many, many messages I’ve had about the coat over the last 72 hours:

“Can I see some photos of you modelling this”

“COW MURDERER!”

“Hi is it the coat shown in the picture?”

“Can you bring it to me please, I am in Glasgow”

“Hi x”

“Is this still available?”

“Hav u got this but in size 12 insted of 16?”

“How much?”

“I have a leather fetish. I hope this doesn’t offend you xx”.

Dear reader, it turns out I do take offence. Offence at having my time wasted.

I logged in to edit the listing. Vintage leather coat, £50. I had a reply within the hour from someone asking could they come to view it that afternoon, saying they’d bring cash. Everything was spelled correctly, they didn’t ask if I was on Kik, and they didn’t include a string of kisses at the end. And their username was a plain old first name/last name, instead of DickBigly69 or HornyDevil666. I nearly wept with gratitude. The first time I’d come close to tears since Mary’s passing. With blurry vision I managed to reply, suggesting a time. Gemma wrote back instantly, accepting.

The knock came at 5pm on the dot. I opened the door to a beaming, curvy, blonde-ringletted woman who I liked immediately. Something about her face being so open and kind after days of opening the door to timewasters, bargain hunters and creepers.

After exchanging pleasantries, Gemma (who I learned was a care worker who’d just got off her shift) lunged for the coat when she saw it like it was a long-lost friend.

“Oh, isn’t it just darling?”

I murmured in agreement while twiddling the silver dragon ring on my finger. Pastel pink wasn’t really my thing.

I watched her shrug it on. Combined with the yellow of her hair, she looked like a morning sunrise. She made sure the zip worked, then started patting at the pockets.

“Oh! Something in this one, sweetie.” She brought out something wrapped in tissue paper and handed it over to me. “Always check the pockets”, she said with a wink. “I used to work in a charity shop. Some people forgot to remove wallets, change, lucky charms, the kitchen sink, you name it.” She began investigation of the label while I unwrapped the mystery gift.

I instantly recognised it as I also have a copy, and, well, it was a photo of me. With mum holding me, a few days after coming home from the hospital.

“Everything okay sweetie? You look like you’ve seen a ghost.” Gemma’s eyes dimmed with sudden concern.

I swallowed. “Just an old photo.” I suddenly wanted to be alone. Bubbly though she was, I Gemma was also intuitive. She fished out the £50 from a Betty Boop purse and with a few exclamations about how delighted she was, went on her way.

Later on, in the evening, watching the nest of tables go up in flame, I took a last look at the photo. Then I tossed it on to the bonfire. Like I said, I already had a copy, and I didn’t want to add any more burden to the heavy weight of memories that I had been trying to lessen with every plate, gardening shears, mirror and cushion I’d watched people walk out the door with over the recent weeks.

I set my alarm, ready to hand the keys in the next day.

May 12, 2023 15:58

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

14 comments

Marvin Reif
11:46 May 18, 2023

Hi Karen, this was a great story. Really loved the character work you did on the narrator. You made the simple act of cleaning out an apartment (if broken down to the essential action) into a vibrant story with little subtle twists that mirror real life. It was a great read!

Reply

Karen McDermott
10:10 May 19, 2023

Thanks so much Marvin!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
14:16 May 16, 2023

Great story Karen! Loved the voice of the narrator in this one, very believable and so so true regarding the types of stupid enquiries you get when you place these ads! (are you on kik?? lolol) thanks for sharing this one!

Reply

Karen McDermott
07:02 May 17, 2023

Thanks Derrick! Haha, yeah, that list was my favourite part to write XD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
16:04 May 15, 2023

Some strong characters in your story Karen. I have met a number of people like the intuitive and vividly portrayed Gemma who fished our £50 from her Betty Boop purse. She seems to have hand on the pulse of life. It’s a hard thing to do a house clearance of a close relative. The grandmother obviously cared more for her granddaughter than she let on. There was a lot to enjoy in this story, including some humorous moments which contrasted well with a sense of loss. Well written. A lot to take away here.

Reply

Karen McDermott
04:38 May 16, 2023

Thanks so much Helen. I wish I could meet more people like Gemma myself, haha.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tommy Goround
13:57 May 14, 2023

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Molly Sickle
14:08 May 13, 2023

This is a beautifully crafted story about letting go and strange family relations. I can relate to this character on the grandmother bit, as mine is similar in a lot of ways. Your writing pulling me in, and left me wanting more. I can’t wait to see more from you.

Reply

Karen McDermott
16:01 May 14, 2023

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback 🙏 sorry to hear your grandmother is similar though. I recommend putting her in a story and see where it takes you ;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Delbert Griffith
11:31 May 13, 2023

Quite a tale, Karen. Damn, it was so immersive! I swear I felt like opening a window and letting in some light and fresh air. Masterful writing, my friend. The grandmother is an enigma. I can't figure her out, and maybe that's as it should be. The mysteries of human nature aren't always knowable, especially in some people. Theories abound in my head, but that's as far as it goes. The granddaughter, though, is easier to figure out. She has tired of trying to figure out her grandmother. In short, she felt abandoned by the woman. So, she aban...

Reply

Karen McDermott
12:05 May 13, 2023

Thanks for reading, Delbert. I spied in an email a recent win...congratulations! I'll be over to read it soon :)

Reply

Delbert Griffith
12:57 May 13, 2023

Thanks, Karen! I really appreciate the congrats. Cheers, my friend.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Wally Schmidt
01:12 May 13, 2023

Mary Veronica Findlay would seem to have been the antithesis of someone who "lived her life for others" as demonstated by the fact that no one knew her or cared about her demise. The story could be just that but the nagging little dtail of how a photo of her granddaughter got in her coat pocket might suggest that she did care, that she would have softened, but of couse all that never came to pass and instead you have a granddaughter who never met her, clearing her objects from a house that held all her secrets. A sad story, Karen, but very ...

Reply

Karen McDermott
07:11 May 13, 2023

Thank you for reading, Wally. I feel I must make up for it by doing something I can tag as 'funny' the next time I spy a prompt I want to tackle :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.