The Man Who Came From NoWhere

Submitted into Contest #102 in response to: Write about a mysterious figure in one’s neighborhood.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction

The man who came from nowhere is what we called the mysterious man who moved to the red house at the end of our neighborhood.

The red house at the end of our neighborhood has been abandoned for five years. We always thought the red house will remain abandoned, but we were wrong.

One day out of the blue myself and the entire neighborhood saw moving trucks driving up the road. We all went outside and saw the trucks driving to the red house.

Like the nosy neighbors we are we went to investigate our newest resident or residents.

Cape Jackson is a small typical Northwest town. The majority of us have lived in Cape Jackson for generations, we know each other. We are all a family, seeing somebody new is something we never expected, so going to see who is at the red house has sparked our curiosity.

Me and the neighbors have all come to the end of our neighborhood to see who is moving into the red house.

We are here standing in front of the red house and us nosy neighbors are watching. We see nothing at first, all we see are the movers moving stuff into the house. Then Mrs. Hill spots a man in the doorway of the house watching us.

The man has a cap covering his face, so we can't see what he looks like. We try to look for his wife and kids, but we can't seem tho find them.

We stand in front of the red house until the movers finishing moving everything inside, that took less than an hour. They left and the man closed his door.

We walked back to our homes talking about who that man could possibly be. Mrs. Hill said the man is a murderer. We all laughed.

I had my own ideas about who that man could possibly be. One is that he's running away from a previous life, maybe he's in the witness protection program or he just wants to move into a little town away from the big city.

I walk silently back to my home listening to my crazy neighbors come up with ridiculous ideas about our new neighbor.

When I enter my home my mother begins to pepper me with questions about our new resident. I tell her it's a man and he's living in the red house, that's all I tell her.

When all the questioning is done mom sends me to the store with a list of items.

I can't help but think about the mysterious man, even as I am walking to the store all I hear is talk about the man. I hear neighbors call him the man who came from nowhere. I just call him the mysterious man.

I enter the store, grab a cart and start walking. I spot my friend Ava. Ava comes up to me and starts talking about the man.

I listen then I tune her out. I look around the store. I see all the usual people, then the door to the store opens, low and behold the mysterious man enters.

Everybody stops what they are doing and looks at the man. Ava stops talking and looks at the man. I look at him too.

The mysterious man seems not to notice the stares he's receiving. I don't think he cares that we are watching him.

The mysterious man grabs a basket and heads into the produce aisle. Ava, myself and some of the customers follow the man. He still doesn't notice us.

I yank Ava back to me. She's straying to close to the man.

"Blake. What are you doing?"

"You are getting too close to him."

Ava steps back.

The man still not noticing us moves to the next aisle. We follow him as closely and quietly as possible.

The man stops to pick up something, he turns around and spots us following him. We try to hide, it fails. The man turns back around and walks away.

We breath a sigh of relief. We still follow the man. I try to tell Ava not to follow the him, but she doesn't listen to me.

I stand back as Ava and the others follow the man. I'm curious to know who he is, but I don't want to be rude and intrude on him. I continue to do my shopping.

I'm walking down the cereal aisle when I bump into something. I look up and the mysterious man is staring at me. I stare back.

I look into his eyes and I see pain and suffering. I don't see a murderer like everybody else is saying he is. I open my mouth to say sorry, nothing is coming out.

I go around the man and mumble "I'm sorry" and quickly walk away. I run into Ava and the others still following him.

"We saw what happen Blake."

"I don't think we should follow him anymore."

"Why not?"

"For one it's rude."

"What if he's a killer?"

"What if he's not Ava?"

"All of us still want to follow him to make sure he's not a killer."

"I'm going to go pay. See you later Ava."

I leave Ava and the others. I go to the register to pay. I see the man paying at the self check out. He turns around to me and gives me a nod.

I quietly walk home thinking about my encounter with the mysterious man.

When I looked into his eyes all I saw was a man in pain and a man suffering. I wonder how he got to this point in his life. What led him to Cape Jackson?

I'm near my home when I see my father talking to someone. I get closer and I see the person my father is talking too. It's the mysterious man.

My father calls me and introduces me to the man. His name is Charles Malloy.

'This is my daughter Blake."

"Hi Mr. Malloy."

"Call me Charles."

"Hi Charles."

I walk into my home. I go to the window. I see my father and Charles talking. After a few minutes my father comes inside.

"Who is Charles Malloy?"

My father looks at me and tells me Charles Malloy moved to Cape Jackson to get away from the media, his in-laws and his family.

"Why?"

"My father tells me "Charles had a wife and two kids. They were murder during a home invasion. They suspected Charles hired someone to kill his wife and kids. He had an air tight alibi. His phone records and bank records revealed he was innocent."

"But not the media, his in-laws or his own family."

"Sadly not. They vilified him."

"That's why he's here."

"Yes."

"And you knew all this time?"

"I did. He came here to thank me for keeping his secret."

'They never found out who killed his wife and kids?"

"No."

Wow. I have no words to say. The mysterious man name is Charles Malloy. He lost everything that meant the world to him and what's worse his own family thinks he actually commit this horrible crime. We thought he actually was a murderer.

How very wrong I was to judge a person at first glance.

My friends, neighbors and family should be ashamed of themselves for judging Charles before we even met him.

We should get to know Charles first before we make a judgement of wether he's a good person or a bad person.

NEVER RUSH TO JUDGE A PERSON BEFORE YOU MEET THEM.

July 15, 2021 21:16

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.