The Search for the Garden of Eden

Submitted into Contest #8 in response to: Write a story about an adventure in the desert. ... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure

This was about the sixtieth time I’ve licked my lips. The wind had thrown itself against me from all directions. The heat was bearable, but not for long. I know that at some point, I would stumble and fall, ending the one main purpose why I still willed myself to live: The Garden of Eden.

It was, as one would think, an impossible cause. The evidence simply lay upon the foundations of the desert itself--the harsh, howling winds, the reddening sky, and the vague visibility. There might even be a storm coming up or maybe a twister too. In short, I was bound to die. It’s just not my thing to believe it. Not yet, anyway.

Before I embarked on this journey, I was participating in a solemn meeting of a team of archaeologists who were interested with the Garden’s existence. They were willing to help me and suggested a few ideas of where it might be. They even outlined a plan on how to get there. We grouped ourselves, dividing the twelve people in the meeting by four. We appointed someone to do the grocery, someone to acquire a suitable transportation across a desert, and someone to keep in touch with emergency contacts in case anything happens. However, I have been checkmated like a king trapped by a horse, a rookie, and a queen.

My dreams were partly crushed when the rest of the team turned their backs on me the moment we reached one civilized, quiet town occupied mainly by Arabians. It wasn’t because of the storm nor was it because of the Arabs. The reason was that they thought I was being stupid, because we have been traveling around the desert for three days and our resources were almost depleted. To save them from death, I decided to stay. Their faces were immediately strewn with worry and concern. If I were to die, I'd at least help in lessening the world’s overpopulation. 

The Arabians were kind to me when I asked for their help. They didn’t judge me for my beliefs, nor did they find my mission to find the Garden of Eden absurd. Instead, they gave me useful gifts and appeased my drained appetite. They knew how to survive a desert more than my team of idiots did. Sometimes I begin to wonder whether or not I was intentionally left behind. Now, I’m the idiot. Out of my anger, I left that town without even asking the locals for help with the transportation. It took me a long time to remember my mistake. 

Twelve hours have passed by and still, nothing. I’ve waded through the desert aimlessly, keeping my eyes as wide as possible. From my vision, I could make out a tiny oasis a few distances away. My heart thumped as wild thoughts began to emerge at the back of my mind. The Garden of Eden could not possibly be that small, could it? Though my legs felt oppressed, I willed it to continue. My physical energy ignited itself like a flickering flame.

Palm trees surrounded the oasis like city gates. The palm fronds swayed roughly along with the wind. I blinked a couple of times at the mirage. The large sun cast its reflection upon the water’s surface, giving off multiple shades of fiery colors. I went further past the tiny jungle of palm trees and spotted a group of men dressed in tough dark robes with turbans and veils around their heads, sitting on a carpet. Three camels rested beside them. 

Their friendly conversation halted when they noticed me emerging from the shade. I greeted them with a smile, but I saw their hands move swiftly over their hips, slowly unleashing their swords with golden hilts. 

“Whoa,” I began, splaying my hands as wide as I could. I shook my head wildly, “Anything, but that. I’m a friend! Friend!”

The elder-looking man, the one with thick beard and longer eyelashes, eyed me suspiciously, then he spoke, “If you’re here to ask for food, we have nothing!”

“No, no,” I said frantically while I spied the third camel yawning. There were three camels for two guys. If I can just convince them to give me a ride… “I just… need a ride.” 

“Where?” asked the elder man. The authority in his voice and the swords on their sides made me feel very small.

“If you know where the Garden of Eden is,” I said as I briskly took out the uncared map I kept with me in my backpack. I pointed at the page, right at a greenland past the desert and a river. “Could you take me there?”

The elder man nodded while the younger man who had shorter hair gave an opposing look. He spoke a few words (which I presumed were Arabic) in protest, but the elder man, whose gray eyes shifted into calmness, held up a hand at the younger man.

“Yes, you may,” the elder man said. If I could hug him, I would. “But on one condition.”

The words stung, but I cleared my throat and swallowed my pride. The desert was not like the bustling city I lived in. You weren’t rich or poor in the desert. You were just simply a survivor or a dead man. I wanted to be a survivor. An explorer. A discoverer.

“What’s the condition?” I asked, keeping my voice low and calm. If I get these men angry, my life is at their hands. 

“You will escort the rider of the third camel,” the elder man said. His English was proficient, which was good because I needed someone to understand that I’m literally dying of thirst. The man pointed at a shabby tent from a distance which I only just noticed. He said, “My daughter, Safiya, is sick and she’s sleeping in that tent. Tonight, we eat and rest. Tomorrow morning, we will leave. Safiya couldn’t ride the camel in her state and by herself so you will both share the camel. My son, Malik, will be riding behind you and I will take the lead. You and Safiya should be between us as much as possible. Even in the desert, we are not alone.”

He and Malik exchanged glances. Malik was clearly opposed to the idea since he suddenly stood up and retreated to the same tent his sister was in. 

“I’m afraid I didn’t get your name,” the elder man said as he firmly held the water jug in his hand and poured its contents into an empty cup. He lent it to me and I readily accepted it, chugging the warm liquid until the last drop. 

“Simon,” I said. 

“Sit down, Simon,” he said and I took his son’s place without protest. He handed me a bowl which was filled with dry bread. “Eat.” I ate slowly, trying my best not to be grouchy about the food.

“Simon means listener. You certainly live up to your name.”

I wanted to roll my eyes, but out of respect, I didn’t show it. We sat there, staring at the stagnant body of water before us. The sun had gone, and the sky faded into glittery darkness. From the conversation that followed, I learned that the elder man’s name was Emir. He talked about the town I’ve just been to, how that town was small and simple, unlike where he lived. I asked him about it, but he suddenly became shy. He mostly diverted the topic to me, asking why I wanted to find the Garden so badly.

“It was a place of interest,” I told him, my eyes cast down on the dark pool of water. “My mother used to tell me that it was the most heavenly place in the world. When she died, a big hole was left in my heart. In her honor, I wanted to find it and be the first to discover.”

Emir chuckled. “Well, a tree begins with a seed. I’m sure you will find it.”

“Thank you,” I murmured, finishing my soft dinner.

Later that evening, Emir retired to his own tent and I fixed mine next to theirs. Emir had mentioned of an upcoming storm far stronger than the winds that night and it was best if I stayed indoors. His prediction was right because, throughout the night, only the sound of wind and sand rapping against tents could be heard. 

A few minutes later, I was able to sleep peacefully. I was awoken by the sound of voices arguing. Malik and his father. They spoke using their mother tongue and Malik’s voice grew louder and louder until I heard a piercing clap that shut him up completely.

I got out of the tent, wiping my eyes with the back of my arm. The sky was still dark, but when I glanced at my watch it was around three. 

Malik stood still, glaring at his father. Beside him was a young beautiful woman dressed in red clothing. A transparent red veil covered her entire head except for her soulful brown eyes. I wanted to hold her gaze for so long, but the opportunity was short-lived. She looked away and whispered something to her brother. Malik turned his gaze at me and said, “I will be watching you closely, so you better not do anything rash.”

“Malik!” Emir’s voice rose and Malik busied himself with the other tents.

Safiya walked up to me. Beneath her veil, I could tell she was smiling weakly. “Forgive my brother,” she began. Her voice was as smooth as honey, it nearly pierced my heart. “He is just afraid that the past would happen again.”

“Why?” I asked. Safiya’s lips parted, but when she glanced back at her father, he stared back coldly. Safiya slowly shook her head and held my hand in hers. Her hands were as soft as cotton and the gleam in her eyes told me that the answer to my burning question was a sad one. She released my hand and went to help her father set up their things over the camels’ backs.

Over the camel’s saddle, I sat behind Safiya. She took the reins and guided the camel in between her father and her brother’s. The journey was a silent one. We passed a couple of sand dunes while we watched the sunrise before us. For hours, no one said a word. And then, suddenly, in the middle of nowhere, we could hear metallic clanging. I glanced behind me and Malik threw me a hard look. Behind him were men running towards us with darker camels, their swords glinting from the sunlight. Their faces were covered with thick cloths and there were approximately three of them.

“Bandits,” I whispered and I could hear Safiya let out a small gasp. Emir turned his camel around and said to me, “Continue straight on that path and don’t look back. You must protect Safiya. She will guide you.” 

Even in my own eyes, I could not believe it. This was a part of the world that was uncivilized and people had to resort to old-fashioned ways to get what they want. Malik nodded towards the direction his father gave and drew out his sword. Emir did the same. Safiya urged the camel to quicken its pace and the longer we went, the more anxious I became for Emir and his son. I turned around to get a good look, but a particle of sand had gotten to my eyes that I could only make out blurred, distant objects moving from afar. If my team of archaeologists had accompanied me in this journey, none of this would have possibly taken place, or perhaps, none of us would be there to see it.

A few hours later, the sun was at its peak and it was very hot that I was beginning to imagine my skin melt away. Safiya turned to me, halting the camel. She handed me her water jug and I accepted it and drained its contents into my mouth. “There’s a small town up ahead. We can have lunch there,” she said. 

The small town was surrounded with shrubs of pink roses that I never thought would have survived in a desert place such as this. I gazed at it in awe as she parked our camel across it. The villagers marched towards us with curiosity, and then suddenly most of them greeted us with smiles. I smiled back at them. We dismounted the camel and Safiya ran to the villagers, waving and saying some things I don’t understand. She glanced at me, and so did the villagers. The whole situation became awkward because I frankly didn’t know what to say.

Safiya approached me and with a warm smile, she said, “I’ve heard you were looking for the Garden of Eden.”

I nodded. 

“You will be amazed to know that beyond this kingdom is the river and the garden.” 

“Really?” I said, leaning one ear closer to her. 

“I will take you to the Garden of Eden, but you must promise me one thing.” She took off her veil revealing the wholeness of her beauty. She parted her lips and said, “I won’t let you go past the kingdom, not until my father and brother come back in one piece.”

I was reluctant at first, but she held a sense of authority, the same way her father did. I agreed and we had lunch. After that, we continued on our short journey to the old-fashioned kingdom. In the middle of their city was a fountain, a town square surrounded by buildings made of clay. There was a prominent palace made of white stone and gold and it rose beyond us like a mountain, taking my breath away.

People from all around the streets bowed down to her as we made our way to the fortress. It seemed as if it was a formal greeting, so I bowed down to them as well. From behind her, I asked, “May I ask why were you on a journey with your father and brother?”

“We do it a lot,” she said. “We visit towns and villages to give charity as part of our tradition. I also think it’s for my mother.” 

“Is she someone important?”

“Very. She recently died and because of that, Malik never trusted a foreigner. He always thought that foreigners were the ones who brought the sickness my mother died from, but my father assured us that it was a hereditary thing.”

“Well,” I said, pursing my lips together. “I’m sure your mother loves you all very much. She, like your father and brother, would want you safe more than ever.”

She turned to face me, her eyes brimming with tears, but not one tear fell off her eyelids. “I can see why my father likes you,” she said, a slight crack in her voice. I wanted to hold and embrace her in comfort, but the way she held herself made me feel small. Like her father.

 When we reached the palace, questions formed in my head. “What are we doing here?” I asked her. 

“You will see,” she said, smiling. A few colorfully veiled women greeted our way, “Sheikha.” 

Safiya bowed her head at them, addressing their greetings. I asked her, “Isn’t your name Safiya?”

Safiya giggled, “Yes, but in my country, sheikha means princess.”

“Oh,” I stammered, unable to find words. Safiya was a princess, which means that Emir and Malik…

She turned to me and said, “I am scared, Simon. I fear for my father and my brother’s lives, but I am going to rule this place with or without them and take my mother’s stead. I lied to you about the Garden of Eden. Past the great river is just another civilization. I lied to you because I didn’t want you to go anywhere, but if my father and brother were to return--” 

I held her soft hands and she became silent. I watched her in pity as tears streamed down her eyes. Her innocence intensified her beauty even more. “I will marry you,” I said to her without thinking. “You’re more than just the Garden of Eden. You’re a man’s greatest treasure.”

At that, she leaned towards me and kissed me on the lips. Our secret romance budded from that moment, and day by day we waited for her family’s return. One fine morning, Emir and Malik arrived at the palace with more riches in their hands. Emir greeted me with an embrace and so did Malik. Safiya ran to her father’s arms and hugged him so tight.

“Thank you, Simon,” Emir said. “For keeping my Safiya safe. As of now, you must have already known that we are a royal family, and we’ve defeated those bandits and have claimed their riches and supplies which I’m sure weren’t fit for men such as them. I’m sure you want to go back on your journey however much I want you to stay.” 

“I will stay, Emir,” I answered. “Even if the Garden does not exist.” 

Emir laughed, “The Garden exists, my boy. You’re actually standing right on its grounds. This is the Garden of Eden, but it’s changed after so long. I have the family heirlooms to prove it. As a gift, I will give you Safiya and you will be a part of this palace. What do you say?”

As they say, a tree begins from a seed. I embraced Emir, knowing that my efforts to find the Garden of Eden have not been done in vain. This may sound like the end of my adventure, but it is not. It is only just the beginning.

September 25, 2019 15:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.