1 comment

Fantasy Fiction Funny

It’s so quiet at the Quinbee dinner table. All I hear is clinks and clanks of silverware scraping across plates.

Oops. I’m sorry. I forgot to introduce myself. I’m Annabeth June Quinbee. 

This dinner we’re having… I made it, but I didn’t have a choice. Either I make it or we all starve. 

No one helped me either. My mom, dad and sister had more ‘important’ things to do. 

There’s one person missing. My big brother, Alexander. He’s away at college.

Anyway…

As I reach for the bowl of creamy mash potatoes, I glance around at my family. They’re all doing the exact same thing. You know what that is? Eating while staring at their phones.

Huh? Dinner should be a time where we connect with each other and talk about our day. Right? Not my family. 

Everyone is busy with their own stuff. I’m not complaining about that.  I, too, have my own things to do, but not at a time when it should be about family. 

I take one last look at the others before glaring at my food, like it’s the problem.

Why won’t anyone talk? What are they hiding? If only I could…

She’s wearing my sweater… again? Ugh! I told her not to. Why can’t that little brat stay out of my room!

Uh oh. My sister is mad at me. It’s not my fault it’s too small for her now. Why does she even have it? It fits me so much…

 Wait… did I just hear my sister speak in my…

All of a sudden, everyone is talking. What in the world is happening?

When will they discuss my promotion? It's been a week. No call. Not a text, or even a letter. I need that bonus to…

Yikes. Dad’s eyes keep twitching. He needs to see a doctor about that. I shake my head turning to another voice speaking.

Tomorrow is the meeting. I need to bake 12 dozen cookies, 6… no 7 pies, pick up the balloons and tablecloth. Oh no! I forgot the invitations, so much to do! How will I get it done?

Mom thinks she’s superwoman. That’s way too much for one person. Eep. I could help… 

Before I could finish my own thoughts, someone muttered.

Someone please drop some food for me. I need to eat too. Give me a bone or ham… mmm… anything.

Even Doony is talking?  At least his problem is easy to fix.

I grab a chicken leg and slide it off my plate, letting it dangle by my leg. I giggle feeling his teeth wrap around the bone.

Mmm. Yum. Thanks. That tastes good.

Problem solved.  I get up from the table to go fill his water dish. 

No one even noticed I left. Humph. They really need to unplug from their phones.

Now who should I help next? I tried to listen in on their thoughts, but it’s becoming difficult now.

With everyone talking at once, it’s a bit confusing. 

Dad complains about work and his co-workers, mom worries about school and her students, my sister is angry about whatever is happening with her.

My head throbs from all the noise. This is too much. I have to do something.

“Ahem.” I clear my throat. No one lifts their head. Doony, however, did pop his head up and trot to me.

“You’re the only one who heard me. Thanks, boy.” I chuckle as he licks my face.

“Do you have any thoughts on how to get their attention?” I ask before I stop. 

Will he be able to hear me? I tilt my head and look at him. “Can you hear me?”

 Woof! I wish I knew what she was saying.

Well, I got my answer. Nuts! Better try something else. Let’s try this… This should grab their attention.

I take a bunch of dinner rolls and throw them at my mom, dad, and sister….

Bonk!

They didn’t even move. Are you kidding me! Argh!

I slam my hands on the table as I hop to my feet. The first victim is my dad. I tap his shoulder, shake it, then wave my hand in front of his face.

That doesn’t work. It doesn’t affect my mom or sister either. They swat me like I’m a fly. Rude!

Now what do I do? I stomp my foot. Why is this so difficult? How can I get through to them?

Aha! I got it!

As soon as the idea hits me, I run to the basement. Oh no. I forgot about the creepy basement. I never go down there. Ever since my sister told me about the strange sounds that come from there, I never went near the basement.

I can do this. Let’s go. I… should bring protection…just in case.

Grabbing my bat, I grip it tight as I flip on the light. The light flickers for a bit…

Buzzz…

And now it’s dark. Give me a break! I snatch a flashlight from the drawer nearby and make my way down as quietly as I can be. I hope nothing is down here.

Squeak…

Squeak…

Squeak…

What was that!  I don’t see anything. Oh, it’s a mouse. A mouse! 

Great… just great! 

Alright forget the rodent. I have bigger issues than a tiny creature. Must focus on my mission.

Finally, after a moment of searching I found the circuit breaker. Which one is it? Should I turn them all off? 

There’re names for the switches? Sweet!

Balancing a bat and a flashlight while trying to pull down a switch, looks harder than I thought. I need to get rid of this bat first.

I feel a tap on my shoulder.

Ahhh!

Did one of my family members come down? Impossible. They were still glued to their phones. Then who tapped me?

I spin around and hold up the light high. Oh my gosh! The figure comes out of the shadows and hugs me.

“Xander! You’re home! How come no one told me?

“Hey, munchkin, did you forget what tomorrow is?” He asks as he pinches my cheek.

Tomorrow? Oh my… How could I forget my special day?

“You forgot, didn’t you?” He chuckles.

I nod as I hug him back. “I’m glad you’re here, Xan.”

When he pulls away, he asks me, “Why are you down here anyway?”

It hits me. The reason I came down here to begin with and it makes me pout. “I made dinner, but no one is talking. They are all on their phones. Dad’s worried about things, mom’s worried about her meeting and Clary is mad at me because of her sweater….”

Xander makes a T with his hands making me stop talking. “How do you know if they never said anything?”

My fingers become interesting for me as I twist them around. “I heard their thoughts. Even Doony was talking…”

I see his jaw drop as he spins me around. “You finally got your ability! Congrats!”

My what? I don’t understand what he’s talking about. I pat his shoulder.

“What do you mean? Ability?”

“Everyone in the family has one. Clary has telekinesis, mom has photokinesis, and dad has pyrokinesis.”

He mentions everyone, but himself. “What about you?”

“Me?” he smirks. “I’m a shapeshifter.”

Wow.  That’s a cool ability. “That sounds awesome.”

He folds his arms with a shrug, “So you’re down here for…”

“I’m turning off the power and hope that will get them off their phones. I just...” I point at the different switches.

“Got it. Don’t worry I’ll point it out.” He points to the right one and helps me reach it.

Chunk…

Now it’s completely dark. That’s when we hear shouts coming from upstairs. 

"What happened?" dad shouts.

Yes, finally!

I charge up the stairs and zip into the dining room. Dad yells, making me cover my ears.

“What happened to the power?” His voice booms. It feels like an earthquake.

If I didn't know my dad was a pyro before… I do now.

I jump behind Xander as my dad's hand turns red with flickers of yellow sparks around it.

I’m in trouble.

Mom tries to calm him down while Clary rolls her eyes.

“Calm down, honey.” She speaks while she takes his arm. “We will figure this out.”

“Oh, come on, I was in the middle of a call! " She groans. 

She waves her hands in the air causing all the plates on the table to swirl in the air. 

It’s not like it’s the end of the world. She’s so dramatic.

They were so busy complaining they didn’t even notice Xander standing beside me.

This is a chance to use my ability. But how?

I flinch when I hear Xander’s voice in my head.

Don’t worry, munchkin, it’s me, just close your eyes and concentrate on the power inside of you.

I close my eyes and let the power flow. I sense a fluttering by my face, like butterfly wings flapping. I feel it.

Mom, dad, Clary, can you hear me?

Did it work? I feel the hairs on the back of my neck tingle. Someone is looking at me. That’s when I open my eyes and see my family gawking at me.

"Anna, dear," mom says. " Did you just…"

Dad's jaw drops and even Clary blinks her eyes to make sure she actually saw it.

"When did you get your…" Dad asks at the same time Clary blurts out…

"How is this possible? Your birthday isn't until tomorrow."

How funny is it that they ignored me most of the night and now they wanna  pay attention to me?

Before talking, I hold up my hand and gesture to Xander.

"Oh, Xan, when did you get here?"

While they hug him and talk, I plop down on my chair and yawn. 

What a night. I went from a quiet dinner to a family reunion. Maybe now I can help them.

“Attention, Quinbee family, I have something to say.” I announce. They give me the chance to talk.

“What is it, An-na-boo?” Dad laughs.

“You got mail, but it got mixed up with the neighbor’s mail.” I ran to the office and grabbed the mail. 

"This is what I was waiting for.  How did you…?"

"I saw it when I got the mail, but…"

I didn't have to say anything else. 

He shook his head. " I should have been paying attention."

Clary narrows her eyes. "What else did you hear?"

Should I tell them? Might as well. I’ve got nothing to hide.

"Everything. If you want the sweater back, I'll give it to you. I shouldn't have taken it without asking." I pout as my head drops.

I feel my mom’s eyes on me and give her a grin.

" Your cookies and pies are on the counter. I baked them this morning while you were busy with your calls. The lists were on the counter.” 

Tears came to her eyes, and I got up and hugged her. 

“What else did you do today?” Dad asks as we all sit around the table.

The words come pouring out my mouth as my family listens. Each one laughing and cheering when I mention the things, I did to get them to focus.

Finally, a family dinner I can enjoy. 

From now on, I hope we can have more dinners like this.

And NO cellphones.

September 16, 2022 22:11

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Kristen Diaz
19:46 Sep 20, 2022

This story popped into my head while I was working on YA about fairies.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.