0 comments

General

Most road trips are meant to be enjoyed — let me tell you, after 10 years, considering everything that has happened, that isn’t always the case. What began as a simple trek across the rural Midwest of the United States to visit family, resulted in narrowly avoiding the devastation that ravaged nearly all populated cities and towns. It was sudden and unexpected, and no one — myself included — was truly prepared for it.


I remember that afternoon vividly, it was the middle of August and I had pulled off to a gas station to refill my car and grab a few snacks and drinks. While at the register to pay I looked up to see an emergency alert flashing on the screen of the television. What appeared next made my stomach churn — one of the reporters for the news recorded what appeared to be something straight from a Clive Barker film. 


Multiple people, perhaps a dozen, lay prone on the street convulsing and screaming. The street became slick with blood as it appeared to ooze out of every orifice on their bodies. Within seconds their teeth became visible, jutting out like a wild boar’s tusks. The cashier and I stared in horror while the people on the TV appeared to be pulled inside out, everything from their ribs to their skulls erupted through their skin. The news reporter stood speechless, and then without much delay began to also scream and tear at her face. The channel cut to black.


I reached into my pocket and pulled out my phone — no reception. Damn it. I couldn’t tell if the poor signal was due to being in such a rural area, or if something had just gone horribly wrong nationwide. The broadcast did not provide much information. My heart began to race as I panicked, unable to reach my family to make sure they were OK. Having already paid for my gas, I quickly ran out the front door and jumped into my car. I gripped the steering wheel tight, my knuckles turning white as I tried to control my labored breathing. I pressed my forehead down against the wheel trying to collect my thoughts and come up with a plan of action. 


With thoughts racing through my mind I looked up and out of my windshield when I noticed the cashier standing outside staring at something in the direction of my car. I looked behind me to see a car racing down the road toward the gas station briefly jerk onto the shoulder of the road then crash into the ditch and down into a corn field. I looked forward again, and witnessed something I will never forget. The sky became overcast as if foreshadow the terrible things to come, and as soon as the sunlight was no longer visible, the cashier I had just spoken to moments before began to scream and tear at his face just like those I had seen on the news.


I wanted to tear my gaze away, but was struck by awe and horror at witnessing it myself in person. I began to panic remembering that the reporter also began to convulse not long after being in the same vicinity as someone afflicted by whatever this was. Was this a disease? Some military weapon? Magic? The end times? As my mind raced to think of what to do, I suddenly realized how quiet it was. My engine was off as I hadn’t started my car, but that wasn’t it. There was no sound from outside my vehicle, not even the muffled sound of the wind blowing or birds chirping.


Then I heard the tapping, as if someone were trying to get my attention by tapping their finger on the glass. Startled, my head swiveled to look, and yet there was nothing there. The sound just continued...tap, tap, tap. This went on for what seemed like an eternity, though in truth was only a few minutes. The tapping stopped, and I heard what sounded like a piece of metal being dragged along the side of my car. I sat petrified as what appeared to be claw marks appeared out of thin air across the door and over the hood of my car. The sound stopped, the clouds departed, and the chirping of birds and the whooshing of wind returned.


After a few minutes of regaining my composure, I put the key in the ignition and began cautiously driving down the highway again. Every few miles there were cars ran off the road, it wasn’t until I reached a small town that I came across another individual driving. We both waved and then slowed down, eventually coming to a stop side by side. Inside the other car was a family, both the mother and father and what looked like two young children in the back seat. The man tapped on his window then held up his phone and pointed to it. I once again pulled out my own phone and saw that I had service once again. 


The man opened his dashboard, pulled out a small notebook and pen, then scribbled a phone number down and pressed it up against the window so I could see it. I proceeded to enter the number into my phone, and when it rang the man in the other car answered. I can’t recall the specifics of that conversation; however, I remember a few small details. I learned that like me, they were on the road when this event occurred, I also learned that I was also the first person they had come across in a long while. He told me that they wanted to find family, they couldn’t reach them, but even if there was a small chance to find them alive they would take it.


We ended our conversation, went our separate ways, and I never saw them again. Months later, I dialed that number and got no answer. Years passed and eventually all cell phones ceased to work. Every once in awhile I come across others as I travel down the roads, but we all know the rules by now: never stop moving, and never leave your vehicle when it isn’t a bright sunny day with clear skies.


I don’t know how I’ve made it this long. My life consists of foraging for food from wherever I can find it, and constantly looking for sources of gasoline. The roads are so weathered and overgrown, an off-road vehicle is now necessary. I know my time is limited. Resources have become so scarce I often wonder if I will make it another day. I still have no idea what lurks in the dark, but my time is coming.


Instead of succumb to whatever lies in wait out there, I have decided to end my own life and leave this account of my story to anyone that may find it. I truly wish you the best of luck, take whatever supplies you need from what I have left, and may God have mercy on your soul.



September 11, 2019 15:25

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.