Contest #170 shortlist ⭐️

23 comments

Christmas Funny Holiday

I make a list for everything. 


Groceries.


To-dos.


Every life-defining experience I want to have before I die—although, fact is, I never die. At approximately 1,751 years, 10 months, 29 days, 23 hours and 25 minutes old, I’m surprised that my nutrionally void diet of fruit cake and cookies hasn’t killed me just yet.  


These lists consume most of my day. They give me a sense of control over my life, from the precise order of my daily activities to errands I need to check off. My relentless nag of a wife, who unfortunately never dies either, has complained on multiple occasions that my list-making habit has made me too simple of a man. The creative, innovative toy maker she fell in love with died somewhere in between the lines of the Roman-Numeraled items I never stray away from. If a recipe calls for a fourth cup of flour, I add no more, no less. If my to-do list does not call for a day of ice fishing, I will not go ice fishing, even if opportunity calls for it.   


Perhaps the lists that bother her the most, though, are my nice and naughty lists. I make these lists at the end of each year, typing out the names of each and every small human who still has faith in the physics of a 200-lb man who can fly. Strictly speaking, these children are either nice or naughty; good or bad; deserving of an American Girl doll or a steaming pile of reindeer dookie.


There is no in between. 


Over the centuries, I’ve changed the way I create my lists. Back in the day, I used to use a feather dipped in ink to write everything down. Eventually I upgraded to a typewriter and these days I use a MacBook Pro. It’s much more efficient than a feather plucked from a large unsuspecting bird.


What hasn’t changed, however, is the stringency with which I categorize children. I have strict criteria for what qualifies as nice and what qualifies as naughty. Ear-piercing screeching in the middle of the frozen goods aisle at Vons, for instance, qualifies as naughty. Slipping Rohypnol in my glass of milk, as one demented child tried to do in 2010, also qualifies as naughty. Helping your mother set the table and keeping your goddamn mouth shut, on the other hand, qualifies as nice. 


“Times change,” my wife complains. “What used to be considered naughty back in the day now qualifies as nice. Girls as young as ten wear eyeshadow. Cotton candy vape juice has replaced the licorice of the 1900s and the Ring Pops of the 90s. This is 2022. Kids are different.” 


I ignore her attempt at reasoning and continue to run a criminal check on every little soul on this planet.


“You can’t put Aiden on the naughty list,” she exclaims, hovering over me. “His parents just went through a divorce! Give him a break.”


“Who cares?” I say. “He picks his nose.” 


“And what about Jenny?” she adds. “She’s changed her ways ever since she turned ten.” 


“I have a strict three-year policy until you can be moved onto the nice list again.” I confidently put Jenny's name right under Aiden’s. I continue ignoring my wife and rub my crystal ball to check what certain children are up to. Although I can recall most children's behavior by memory, my aging yet immortal memory makes it difficult to recall every single child’s behavior on command.


According to my crystal ball: 


Adam T. in St. Louis, Missouri is helping his mother sweep the floors as usual. “Nice.” 


Sarah J. in Albany, New York is fighting with her younger brother in a double-seater grocery cart. “Naughty.”


Jared S. in Ashford, Connecticut is spitting his masticated peas and carrots into a napkin when his father isn’t looking. “Naughty.”


I put away my crystal ball and switch to the next step of my categorization process: sifting through the heaping pile of wish-list letters (and emails from the small percentage of children who thought to try sleighrider@hotmail.com).


One particular letter catches my attention. To start, it's not a wish list, per say. It's an argumentative essay from a seven year old. It comes from a William H. in Topeka, Kansas. And despite the drunken whirl of crayon-scribbled words that go off the light blue lines of the composition paper, his writing does not match his penmanship. He is sophisticated for his age and, for a seven year old, his grammar is impecable. I run it through a plagarism check, but it comes out clear. I settle down with a cup of hot cocoa and begin to read the letter in its entirety.


Dear Mr. Claus,


Before you make a hasty decision as to my verdict, please hear me out. I am, at my core, a decent human being. I am not a demon. Neither am I a saint. I have said the occasional bad word and pushed my siblings when they got on my nerves, yes. However, I have also performed CPR on my little sister's guinea pig. In fact, I saved his life. I have also eaten an entire stalk of brocoli without throwing up. I have even returned a lost Nintendo to the lost and found. Any unsavory behavior is rooted in my still developing seven-year-old brain. Like my motor skills, my emotional intelligence and social awareness are still developing.


I'd also like to point out that, despite my overconsumption of candy and sugar this last October (which, as you know, is against my mother's wishes), you consume more cookies in one night than I will ever consume in my entire childhood.


With this said, I kindly request a Hulkbuster Lego set, which, thanks to inflation, averages at $549.99.


Regards,

William H.


I am, as the kids say in this century, shooketh. I begin to sweat. My face turns redder than it has ever been depicted on cookie tins, store windows, or inflatable yard decorations of me. I search my mind for an answer.


Nice or naughty. 


After hours of deliberation and ten more cups of hot cocoa, my hand begins to tremble. I reach for my mouse and, with an unsteady hand, create a third column on my Excel sheet.


Column C

Okay

_______________________________________



It’s Christmas morning. William wakes up at exactly 6 in the morning, adjusts his rocketship-printed pajamas, and calmy walks out to the living room. He checks under the tree that is five times his height. He sees nothing but does not panic. 


He walks closer, circles the circumference of the tree carefully until he spots one carefully wrapped gift.


He shakes it and, to his delight, hears the plasticy clatter of Legos.


He opens it, tearing the red paper off carefully. He frowns.


Bulder Blocks, the knock-off Legos. They're more dimly colored, larger, and are occasionally flawed by mishaped pieces that don't always fit together unless you jam them together like two puzzle pieces that don't go together.


It is an okay gift. An in-between gift for an in-between kid like him.


He decides it's satisfactory, puts the pieces together, and smiles.


He is okay.


November 05, 2022 01:51

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

23 comments

Kristin Johnson
02:45 Nov 09, 2022

I never thought of Santa Claus as someone who plans everything down to the last detail, but in order to fly around the world and deliver toys to all the children in one night, you'd have to be!

Reply

Liv Chocolate
21:00 Nov 09, 2022

Thank you, Kristin!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

I loved this story a lot! The idea was so creative and well executed. I know some people thought this character would have ocd, but I actually have ocd and autism and I think he felt more along the lines of the spectrum for me. The reason for this is that autism causes you to have routines, whereas ocd actually doesn't nesisarily cause this. It just cause you to have intrusive thoughts with a compulsion to make it go away. Autism, on the other hands means you have very black and white thinking, which Santa had in this story, and routines. ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Amanda Lieser
20:08 Nov 24, 2022

Hi Liv! I loved the way you addressed the prompt for this piece. It certainly put me in the holiday spirit. When I first started reading, I wondered if your MC suffered from OCD, as more was revealed I think I formed the argument that of course he sorta has to. I also thought that your use of 2 specific perspectives was wonderful. Thank you so much for writing and congratulations on the shortlist!

Reply

Liv Chocolate
01:06 Nov 25, 2022

Thank you so much, Amanda! It's funny you mention that because the rough sketch of this story actually started out as a female character struggling with OCD. It was supposed to be a sad story, but then lists made me think of the holidays, and next thing I knew, this vague female character had turned into Santa Claus. Also, I just checked out your profile, and OMG, you're the author who wrote Birth Mother. I vividly remember reading that story and loved it a lot. I even remember where I was when I read it lol. Full of specific descriptions t...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Octogirl 149
10:21 Nov 24, 2022

This is a great story ❤️ gives you a whole knew perspective on santa

Reply

Liv Chocolate
00:50 Nov 25, 2022

Thank you very much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Story Time
18:17 Nov 17, 2022

This was a great way to get me in the holiday spirit. Well done.

Reply

Liv Chocolate
02:57 Nov 19, 2022

Super excited you commented 😆 I'm a big fan of your submissions/writing. Thanks, Kevin! That means a lot coming from the master of humor writing!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sophia Gavasheli
19:13 Nov 16, 2022

Oh, this was so funny! I always did think that the naughty and nice categorizations were too black and white; I love how you explore this theme. My favorite lines: - "At approximately 1,751 years, 10 months, 29 days, 23 hours and 25 minutes old, I’m surprised that my nutritionally void diet of fruit cake and cookies hasn’t killed me just yet." - "I make these lists at the end of each year, typing out the names of each and every small human who still has faith in the physics of a 200-lb man who can fly." - "Slipping Rohypnol in my glass of mi...

Reply

Liv Chocolate
02:55 Nov 19, 2022

Thanks, Sophia! I really appreciate specific comments like these! I'm so happy you enjoyed and found it funny. <3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nehemiah Giles
06:40 Nov 15, 2022

This story was great. I enjoyed reading it with expressions as I went on throughout the story. I would love to read another version or continuation of this story! Amazing work!

Reply

Liv Chocolate
02:53 Nov 19, 2022

Thank you very much!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Philip Ebuluofor
16:38 Nov 13, 2022

Congrats. Fine work. Funny one.

Reply

Liv Chocolate
00:49 Nov 25, 2022

Thank you, Philip!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Susan Catucci
18:30 Nov 11, 2022

This was a super fun read. The struggles of changing with the times - technology, attitudes, economy - came through well. And then Santa compromising enough to include the Okay Kid in an Okay Christmas added some holiday hope to the mix. A winner!

Reply

Liv Chocolate
19:41 Nov 11, 2022

That means a lot, Susan!! Thank you for taking the time to read <3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
DC Net
20:44 Nov 10, 2022

Would you allow me to read your story, credit given of course, on my podcast?

Reply

Liv Chocolate
22:19 Nov 10, 2022

Definitely! What's the name of your podcast?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Henry Azure
18:09 Nov 09, 2022

Do you think Mrs. Claus can rediscover that creative, innovative toy maker she fell in love with now that he is not as rigid in his list making meticulous ways?

Reply

Liv Chocolate
21:01 Nov 09, 2022

She never fell out of love with him <3. She just needs him to believe in them, despite the North Pole trying to tear them apart.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Melissa Balick
15:46 Nov 05, 2022

Really funny! Is he absolutely certain it was a kid who slipped him that Rohypnol? 🤣 I suspect that was a parent trying to crack the case of how this guy manages to get into the house every year.

Reply

Liv Chocolate
19:30 Nov 05, 2022

Thanks, Melissa!! :D I think that's a very valid hypothesis 😂

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.