0 comments

Sad Science Fiction Fiction

Golden Tree of Life, Death, and pure Loyalty. It's a rare species of tree that decides what the people will do to make their village a better place. This tree, so rumors have been told, it speaks to those who have a clean record, and has done well to the community. It chooses a person in power through the positive minds of the people. If the person, who was chosen, abuses said power, another person will replace them, not through banishment, but through a mysterious death, a few days after the tree speaks to the one who is new in power.

The tree's graceful, shining silver leafs so fragile, one disturbance of the leaf, such as the soft touch of a baby's hand, it becomes dust. The trunk and the branches of the tree, however was as strong as diamond, the beautiful golden color of the roots and structure of the tree was no stranger to this town. Unfortunately, this tree was the only species of this tree. The tree feeds off of one thing; Honesty. It grows for everytime someone tells the honest truth. For one person who goes around and tells the lies from the underworld, it dims the light of the tree. The tree will lose it's blossoming color and will wither away. If the tree dies, they will all die.

The tree gives gifts to the village, such as; food, water, and protection. For every good deed that is done, it grows taller and stronger.

Two brothers, in the village of Golden Bridge, were born and raised to know the power of the tree. Those two, individually, they were strong, but put together, they are powerful. Haydence and Ares were known as the Golden Guardians since they have saved many lives on multiple occasions. The tree rarely chooses two people to rule, however, these boys were chosen for a purpose.

Haydence: His strengths were his creativity, intelligence, kindness, and best of all, courage. His Golden Brown hair that is always pulled back into a bun, wears clothing made of cotton, and sewn together with golden thread to symbolize his intelligence.

Ares: His strengths were his ability to carry thousands of pounds of rock in one arm. He has the ability to make those around him smile when they feel down, and his overall personality was glowing with selflessness.

However, as Ares grew older, he became more and more self absorbed. Always finding ways to beg for attention. Pleading for worship and full attention. Haydence notices his brothers sudden change of heart and tries to talk to him about it. Ares was too far gone to be saved. Ares wasn't worried about the tree, like he and his brother were both supposed to be, but one part of the mind is gone that was put into power to protect the tree, then the supports that holds the tree, won't stand for too much longer.

Haydence witnesses the cocky person that his brother has become once more, he had heard enough from him.

"What do you think you're doing, brother? The tree is watching, and you know that! The tree gave us a job, and if you don't take part of the power, the village will fall..." Exclaims Haydence in frustration.

Ares turns to look at Haydence, his face in a sarcastic smirk.

"Why, I'm only making the people happy. I'm a hero now! I know you have the power to wisdomness given by the tree, but it doesn't mean you can boss me around like that."

Fuming, Haydence grabs his wrist, leading him to the tree. "Do you see anything wrong with this picture?" Haydence points up to the tree.

"Why I see a tree, the same as you, and if you really think this tree is what keeps our village alive, then you're out of your mind. That tree, is just a lump of shiny wood and leafs that are a waste of space. This tree is nothing but a hoax."

Ares explains with a smile.

As soon as the two started looking at each other in frustration. They feel the ground quiver and shake below their feet. The whole towns people crowd behind the two siblings, all looking at the tree in fear. Haydence looks up at the tree.

The tree lost it's golden glow for it's trunk. It has an ugly purple-green color that looks to be rotting. It's once shiny silver leafs became grey and wilted. The tree that once stood tall and mighty, is soon to be fallen down onto the town, destroying anything that is in it's way. Before the people can react, Ares holds his arms up, preparing for the impact the tree is about to create on the town. Unfortunately, the ground beneath him, crack, crumble, and creates a hole below his feet to depths that are unknown to the location, all Haydence knows, Ares isn't going to survive the fall.

Haydence, made a brave choice that day, before the ground under Ares fell apart, Haydence leaps into action and pushes him out of the way, sacrificing everything he had to save his brother. He disappeared into the deep, dark abyss that the tree created. Leaving Ares to the people. He was surprised at the fact that the tree hasn't landed onto the town yet, Ares looks up, to see the once was a tree, replaced by a statue of Haydence. Ares was upset at the fact that he didn't have a statue of himself.

"It should've been me! I was 10 times more brave than my Ignorant brother, The tree chose the wrong person to reward. I deserve it more than he does!" Ares shouts in frustration and annoyance.

He was given something else, the statue of his brother became the new tree of life, Ares mysteriously died from a severe heart attack. It was rumored that Haydence wanted to punish Ares by letting him have a slow and painful death. All the people knew, is that Haydence was the true hero.

April 20, 2021 15:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.