1 comment

Thriller Science Fiction Suspense

"Mom I'm Home" Mariam called out when she got home.

"Great, how was school" Mom replied.

"Normal" Mariam responded.

Mom just cocked her eyebrow. Mariam walked into the kitchen. god, I'm starving Mariam thought. She grabbed some leftovers from last night's dinner, then she walked over to the microwave which had her brother’s food in it.

"Ibraheem get your food already”

“Coming, bossy!”

Ibraheem ran into the kitchen and grabbed his food from the microwave, Mariam made a face at him and put her food into the microwave. Right when she put her food into the microwave, She heard a weird growl-like noise come from it.  Probably nothing. Mariam thought then when she tried to click the buttons it wouldn’t work. Dang it she silently cursed. Mariam checked the wire but it was still plugged in.

“Dad!” Mariam screamed, “is the power out!”

“No” he yelled back.

“Then why did the microwave stop working if the wire is still plugged in?” She asked.

Her dad sighed and came down the stairs. He Checked if the wire was plugged in which it was. 

“See Nothing’s wrong,” he said then heated her food.

Mariam just stood there still trying to take in what happened.

“It wasn’t working a minute ago” she complained to her dad.

“Well Mariam, It’s not like the microwave can go against you or something,” he replied sarcastically.

When he left back to his office, Mariam studied the microwave again. It just sat there looking completely normal. Then when she turned around she heard another weird noise. She turned around and the microwave lights were red then she took the wire out not wanting to risk anything but then it turned on 3 minutes. She jumped back not knowing what to do. She left the room in a hurry.

That night when Mariam came into the kitchen for a glass of water, she had forgotten about the microwave incident a few hours before. So she grabbed for a glass and then, CRASH she heard the weird noise again she turned around slowly and dramatically to stare at the sinister piece of technology. 

“Shut your door dummy,” she said to the microwave not knowing why she said it out loud.

The microwave shut its door loudly and harshly then turned red and made a low growling noise. Mariam then went to pull the wire out again but then realized. That there was another microwave behind hers. And more beyond that one as well.  Great, she thought.

“Well, I guess you all are going to try to get me now huh?” she said out loud to them.

Then all the microwaves turned red and banged their doors open and close they jumped off the counter.  Where did we get 12 microwaves from she thought? Then they circled her and turned on 3 minutes. She was freaking out right now  So much for a glass of water, she thought as she put her empty glass back on the counter. Mariam turned back to the out-of-control microwaves. She attempted to step over them but they tied their wires around her ankles pulling her down. She grunted as her back hit the kitchen floor hard. She grabbed all the microwave wires and then tried to tie them together but then they tied her wrists too. She kicked 3 of the microwave doors shut. The timer was now on for 2 minutes and 30 seconds. She needed a plan to get out of these wires or else something bad could happen when the timer goes off. She struggled to get out of the wires but they wouldn’t come off. Then as if on cue her brother casually strolled into the kitchen. The microwaves instantly shut down and went back to normal. 

“What are you doing?” Ibraheem questioned.

Mariam rolled her eyes and shook free of the wires she kicked another door shut and walked out of the circle. Then one microwave accidentally turned red again and her brother saw. He screamed loud enough for the neighbors to hear.

“Shush” Mariam told her younger brother. Then not caring anymore All the microwaves turned back on.

 Mariam grabbed a hammer from the tool pantry, went back to the kitchen, and slammed it into a microwave facing away from her then all of a sudden again the microwaves turned back off. Mariam and Ibraheem put them away somewhere her parents wouldn’t find them. Thank goodness there on that business trip she thought optimistically. 

The next day when they came back from school. The microwaves were gone from their spots. Mariam Searched the whole house but they were gone.  She forgot about them and continued like life was normal.

That night again she searched the house once more before going to sleep. She heard a low growl again when she got into bed. Mariam opened the lights and studied the room she then slowly opened her closet then all of a sudden the creepy red light flickered on again. The microwave growled again the same creepy low noise. The timer went off again this time only ten seconds to spare. She opened her window and threw it out. The microwave exploded halfway down. She saw as it landed loudly waking a few on the street. There was a huge hole in the road where it landed with rubble surrounding the area. Mariam stared at the microwave for a few more seconds before realizing the others were still hiding in the house. She found them hiding on the shelf in the shoe closet. Mariam grabbed them and destroyed them quickly. 

The next morning Mariam’s parents rushed back home noticing all the chaos surrounding their house worried them more.  When they reached their driveway they saw the cops at their door.

“What happened here?” asked their mom 

“Some weird explosion happened in front of your house leaving a hole in the street” the cop responded with a thick southern accent.

Both parents looked at each other and ran into their house. 

“Guys where are you?” dad asked worriedly.

Mariam and Ibraheem ran to the door trying to get there before the others as usual. Their parents sighed in relief seeing they were ok.

“What happened out there?” Mom asked.

“Well the microwaves attacked me then I threw it out the window as it exploded I felt like James Bond, you have no idea!” Mariam blurted out excited.

Her parents cocked their eyebrows in confusion.

“Mhm, microwaves,” her mom said sarcastically

“Believe it or not he’s actually telling the truth this time,” Ibraheem said while giving his older sister a look.

Then they both started again chasing each other trying to get revenge like a normal day in their household.

February 22, 2021 12:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Yvone Mthembu
07:22 Mar 04, 2021

I loved it , although a little heads up as to why the microwaves hated Mariam would've been appreciated but it's cool even without that information.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.