2 comments

General

Lavenia is my first name, given to me by my beloved parents. An introvert that I am, there is pandemonium in my mind yet I am silent most of the time. I think about world peace but plot plans of global domination (shh!); I dream about faraway galaxies and enjoy reading books tucked in my blanket while sipping warm tea (Slurp!) My mother cooks delicious meals for us and my father is a stellar storyteller. Let’s not forget my fluffy little poodle called Lucy who is absolutely adorable. Enough rambling Lavenia, you are revealing too much about yourself.


This year started with a revelation that I liked staying home until I was bound to stay in due to a disease that was spreading like wildfire across our planet. It had led to the confinement of not just me but millions of people. Many survived, many starved and many lost their lives in the pandemic. This disease struck like a bolt upon nations and jolted economies. The people hoarded food and utility items in panic; selfishness made them forget that others had similar needs. We were asked to practice good hygiene and social distancing to protect each other. It was a dark time, a curfew without a war.


A cozy cottage in the suburbs of Provence, France was where I and my parents lived, and there were aesthetic lavender fields nearby. The owner of the fields was quite old and passed away because of the disease. I used to gaze at them from my window every day during the quarantine to see the lavenders lamenting with their bulbs bowed upon losing their caretaker. I feared the plants would not survive but they endured just like I, my parents, Lucy and the people all over Earth.


Nature was paying us back for all the harm we had done, the mood was glooming. The profound emptiness was sickening to us but it was time for nature’s healing. Seasons changed, trees had shed leaves and were blooming. It was spring with vivid colors everywhere, flowers ready to blossom and spread their fragrance. Every night I used to dream about running my hands through the flowers. I imagined having a small picnic amongst the shades of purple.


Today after three months the lockdown ended. It was early in June when my dream was coming true. I couldn’t believe that someday I would be desperate about walking through the very fields I grew up watching. I woke up before sunrise took a cold shower and fixed myself sandwiches and cut some fruits. I brushed my hair, wore my lilac dress with pockets on its sides to blend in, put my diary, pen, earphones and my phone in a satchel. I picked up my straw hat and the snack basket. I kissed my mom goodbye and told her I’ll be back by sunset.


I took my first step out and inhaled deeply, the enchanting scent of lavenders lured me but the fresh smell of freedom brought me back to my senses. I took one more step then turned to lock the door behind me. The world looked new or maybe I was born anew. It had been quite a while since I had set foot out of my home. I was Neil Armstrong walking on the moon. I walked fast towards the fields so I would not miss the beautiful sight of the sun rising over the hills. As soon as I stepped amongst the lavenders, I uttered a prayer for the owner’s soul.


The dawn broke and light transformed the color of the fields from a deep mauve to a stunning violet. Suddenly, the birds started chirping, bees buzzed, butterflies fluttered and the animals gathered. The scene was so magical that I had a sudden urge to dance. It was early in the morning and no soul could be seen so I took the chance to show my moves to Mother Nature. Lavenia don’t! You will regret this later. Today I did not care and spun around endlessly then sank into the bushy lavenders. Life is not a set of The Sound Of Music dear, but you don’t care, do you?


I felt such a joy to run my hands through them as if my fingers had forgotten that this slightly tickly sensation existed. I noticed it was the right time of harvest with the bees sucking the nectar from the lavenders. I wondered when the owner’s son will command his people to pluck them. Till the harvest began, I could enjoy walking on this path between purple. I smiled to myself; a deep sense of serenity began to surround me. The lavender’s caress put me in a spell of blissful slumber.


I was woken up from my sleep by Lucy’s frantic barking; she licked my face and jumped up and down in excitement. It had been a long time since she enjoyed a day in the lavender fields with me. I wondered what Lucy was thinking and dreaming for the past few months. I cuddled her while she snuggled in my lap. I took out a treat from the basket and fed her as I knew she would come and find me. My pupils shrunk, a frown appeared and I used my hat to block the sun shining with full force. I picked up all the things and walked towards a tree nearby to take shelter from the scorching sun and Lucy followed my lead.


Once in the shade, we drank some water. I always feel hungry after waking up so I laid out the basket and devoured a sandwich and some pieces of fruits. My eyes welled up as I began to think about the countless people that didn’t have food on their plates, the famished children crying for a morsel. I was grateful for the food in my basket and all that was granted to our family during the time of crisis and before. Lucy propped onto her two little paws and instantly licked the tears that rolled down my cheeks. A warm smile spread across my face while in my heart I prayed for all the souls.


I plugged in my earphones playing Lavender Blue a piano piece by Robin Spielberg. I took out my pen and diary and began reflecting and spilling the multitude of thoughts I had over the past three months. Writing a diary is like having a dialogue with a rainbow of voices in my head, a way of allowing me emotional catharsis. The music switched to Four Seasons by Antonio Vivaldi, which was the perfect depiction of the transformation of feelings inside mankind during this outbreak. Lucy slept on my lap while I inked my heart out.


The music came to an end and so did my words to myself. I yawned and stretched waking Lucy up; I closed my diary, shut. I kept everything in the satchel then got up. It was afternoon now and I could see a few kites gliding on the wind. The sight of the children playing together made me walk closer to them and play. I saw the ice cream van and the children flocking together to get a taste of heaven. The doctors and nurses were returning home from the city road and we saluted to honor their bravery while they smiled with their exhausted but relieved faces. They sacrificed their days and nights for our freedom which we have learned to value the most in these days spent imprisoned in dismay.


My friend Carla was waving at me from a distance and I shriek and hurriedly waved back unable to control my excitement upon catching her glimpse. We ran towards each other and hugged. Although we used to talk every day upon wrapping her in my arms it felt like spring; her smell, her warmth, I missed all of her. It was getting breezy, with the sun and the clouds playing hide and seek and birds flying back to their nests. Lucy was entranced by a butterfly and chased it while I and Carla sauntered hand in hand till the sunset.


We learned to cherish our relations, our freedom and our planet this year; humanity changed with the seasons. I am glad that after winter comes spring, the night is followed by the day and after darkness comes light. This beautifully balanced contrast rekindles hope and faith inside me, it makes me fall in love with everything!

April 02, 2020 20:17

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Timea Patient
18:36 Apr 10, 2020

This is so beautiful expecially at a time like this

Reply

Abeer Khan
11:42 Apr 21, 2020

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.