0 comments

Drama Romance Teens & Young Adult

As I walk hastily in a wide solemn place, I startlingly collided with a random man. I was overly preoccupied that I didn't even see him coming. I was pushed away, making my knee to bend down onto the ground. 

Out of the blue, there was a familiar scent that gently tickled my nostrils from within. The whole surrounding was centralized with Air conditioner yet, it didn't depurate the memories brought by the pleasure of nostalgia.

There was a sudden scratch on the brow of my kneecap—visibly tiny but too hurtful that tears were about to fall from both sides of my eyes. Regardless, I was really in a hurry so I did not let it bother me. Am I really this fragile? 

I sighed for a moment. It was just a bit of time, but the pain became even worse when I finally took my head up to see the man in front of me. Myself weakened. He offered a hand, but I was too browbeat that I swiftly discarded.

My mind doesn't cooperate and I cannot control my actions. I just looked away to hide my glimmering eyes—as I thought that was the best thing to do at this moment.

I finally stood up after the long drama. To be honest, these scenes were like being taken for a movie series.

My heart crumpled. After almost a half decade, I never thought we will meet again—especially, at this place and at this moment of time. On a Saturday morning, really?

"I'm sorry. Are you hurt?" He finally broke the silence.

"Yes... I mean, no... not really. " I slur my words while I was still in pressure. Fortunately, I didn't hit into a crack.

Everything took place as we look at each other with a fixed gaze. All the good memories that have been left attached inside our mind suddenly flashed back—well, we can say it was just all mine.

I froze still. Both of us didn't know what to say next to keep on breaking the quietude that smoothly killing us.

It's completely out of nowhere. I'm in the middle of a holy temple yet I just can't keep on thinking about things that were supposed not to remember. 

I don't know, I couldn't think of anything but him—exactly him and myself. The reminiscence went tranquilly as I can still smell his favorite perfume.

He's still so fine as he used to be before. I can't look directly into his eyes, but his presence is really fascinating.

He is wearing a formal attire. He's in a tuxedo. His trousers were black as well as his pair of shoes. Kind of strange.

(Flashback)

"Wait, what are you trying to imply?" I asked in a total confusion. I can feel the vibration of my lips while both of my knees are trembling due to overwhelming emotions.

"You're the only girl I want to be with for the rest of my life. Please, would you accept this ring for me?" 

He knelt down as he opens the ring box. I can see his sincerity with his pleading eyes and the bliss in his smile. There's no doubt nor hesitation in my heart at this moment, I am genuinely in love with him. I really am.

I gave him my hand to accept his offer, then he quickly get up to cover me with the warmth of his hug.

"Really, there's no words can explain how happy I am right now." He planted a kiss on my forehead. "I am the luckiest."

(End of flashback)

His proposal—that was undeniably the happiest day of my life. Never until he took back his words and left me in a snap. Imagine, without any apology other than a sorry.

I didn't realize I was staring at him for like eons now. My tongue is still in a knot and I couldn't think of anything to say.

Eventually, he just slightly bowed down his head and turned his back to me right after. He made a way to a small-spaced room in the backstage.

Minutes passed by. The ceremony was about to start and I was really puzzled about what I've been witnessing right now.

I am not really familiar to any people here. I am a freelance photographer and was just invited earlier by a friend to take some shots for this event. I haven't started taking pictures yet since I was advised to make it only after the mass.

Everyone’s settled down, the sound system is ready. The priest officially started the program with a few welcome remarks— followed smoothly by a transition of the entourage.

The processional began with bridesmaids and groomsmen walking down in pairs. Next in line, I could see the flower girls wandering along the aisle while leaving some red petals on the floor.

The bride's maid, the best man, the maid of honor....

It's now time for the bride to set her foot on the track. Now, my neck feels brittle to look back at the stage to ensure my doubt. I wish everything about to happen is not what I'm expecting.

The mass just began and I still didn't let my eyes front, even just for a peek. There and then, the Priest stated each name of the two—and never to lie, a chance to hear those made my heart skip in a beat.

At this very moment, I finally did my best to pull all the courage left on me. I turned my head at last. I took a glance. I let my eyes wide open. 

Now, it got worse. Everything seems impossible. I did nothing but to let my weight down on the seat. Both of my hands were on my head while my mind is muddled.

"What should I feel?" My heart jolted as I whispered to myself. The man in front of the altar is not him.

Everything was unreal. I was only in hallucination. It's just the scent—and all of those were only driven by nostalgia.

October 02, 2020 13:17

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.