0 comments

LGBTQ+ Suspense Historical Fiction

August 25, 1896

There was an extra chill and Kathleen couldn't seem to sleep, so she went out on the balcony to sit and watch the sunrise. The night before her and her girlfriend celebrated an engagement with wine and a movie. There could have been more, but Saundra has fallen ill in the past year. It's been hard trying to figure out what has been going on, but the good thing was she was able to fall asleep four hours ago.

Twenty minutes passed as Kathleen was deep in her thoughts. 'The sun can be a glorious force of nature.' Saundra's voice rang through the air and into the ears of Kathleen, making her get up and walk to her. 'Are you feeling alright darling?' Kathleen then set her by her on the bench she was on not too long ago. 'I don't feel any part of me upset at the moment, if that's what you ask.' Saundra gave a cheeky, sleepy smile. There was a comfortable silence between the women as they watched the finishing process the sun had to make, as it did every morning.

August 26, 1896

'THUMP!' Kathleen jolted awake and at first instinct, she look beside her. 'Saundra?' She got up. 'Do-' Saundra was in the washroom. 'Don't come in here Kath,' She coughed. 'Please.. I don't want you seeing me like this.' She said between crying breaths. 'I'm not letting you do this alone.' Kathleen said as she walked in and pulled Saundra's hair up. 'Gross me out if you must, but I cannot listen to you this time.' Saundra found herself over the clay modeled seat that attached to their waste pit. 'Why haven't they found what's wrong with me, an-' After another three minutes Saundra felt like she was done. 'Why haven't they been able to fix me?' Saundra sat back on the stone tub. 'You're not broken my Dear,' Kathleen wraps her arms around Saundra. 'One day the power of your will could defeat it all, Then we can go forth with our life. Have the wedding of your dreams.' 'But what about the validations?' 'We have our own. That will be all that matters.' Saundra rests her head on Kathleen's shoulder and almost instantly falls asleep.

September 9, 1896 Part 1

It was a beautiful day with a chill that was noticeable, but coats weren't needed, at least not for Kathleen. Saundra had the idea to do laundry and hang it out on the line a day earlier, since it wasn't too cold like it has been the past week. 'How do you like me in Pearl White?' Saundra asked playfully as she gently wrapped a sheet around her after she hung it up. 'Just as marvelous as any color on you,' Kathleen pulls gently on the sheet. 'This material. Debatable.' She gives Saundra a silly Grin, While she looked at Kathleen with fake shock. 'But it's the finest silk we are provided.' Kathleen gave Saundra a soft kiss. 'I know, but I want to find better for your gown.' All playing aside, Saundra looked at Kathleen with the most loving look she can conjure up. 'Is that even possible?' Kathleen takes her into a hug. 'I will bend the Earths to make it so for you. You deserve the best.' Saundra hugged her closer to her. Not being able to think of what to say.

Kathleen hung up the last article of clothing. 'By morning we should have dry clothes. Cold, but dry.' She looks around the blouse. 'Sweetheart?' Saundra suddenly fell grabbing the other clothing line, but it came loose and fell with her. Kathleen rushed to her side. 'HELP!' She cried out hoping that one of their four closest Neighbors could hear her. 'SAUNDRA HAS COLLAPSED!' Soon enough there was close pitter patter sounds of hooves and a squeak of a carriage. 'Madam Kathleen. Here. Let me help you get her.' A second man came from behind him. 'Please Mr. Gaurld. We need to see Ms. Evelyn as quick as possible.' He gently puts Saundra in as Kathleen took the seat beside her. 'What happened?' The other man asked. 'Oh Mr. Venice, We were just out hanging laundry, because it was a marvelous day today, then she just fell. I wasn't able to catch her, but her grabbing the clothing line made her fall less hard,' She runs her fingers through Saundra's hair. 'I'm scared.' She says not taking her eyes off of her. 'I know.' There was a moment of silence. 'Excuse me! Madam Evelyn! It's urgent!' A younger Blonde comes out rushing to Kathleen's aid when she sees the state Saundra is in. 'Help me get her in a room. We must hurry.' Mr. Gaurld took Saundra into his arms and carried her as quickly as he could with Kathleen and Venice trailing close behind.

September 9, 1896 Part 2

There was so much movement around the room. Kathleen Stood Still. She couldn't fathom the sight of her unresponsive love. Two other nurses came in. One climbing on top of Saundra and starting chest compressions, and the other setting up an I.V. Tears start to leave Kathleen's eyes. Next thing she knew she was by the bed and pounding on Saundra's chest. 'Please don't leave me yet?' She pounded a few more times. 'Please!' She slowly stopped her movements. 'Please...' Kathleen dropped to her knees with Saundra's hand in hers. 'At least let me tell you I love you...' She sobbed out. 'I-' There was a cough. 'I love you too Kath.' Saundra's eyes met the glossy ones of Kathleen. 'Oh Saundra.' Kathleen stood herself up and hugged her as if she'd lose her if she were to let go. 'You must be easy Ms. Belle.' Kathleen nodded her head yes as she pulled herself far enough to look at Saundra again. 'Please don't let this be a dream,' She runs her fingers through her hair. 'I'd rather see you really here.' Saundra slightly chuckled. 'I'm here, and unfortunately you're still stuck with me.' There was just a smile and hug in response.

September 12, 1896

Soft music was playing and whispers were faint. Kathleen was fidgeting her fingers anxious. Suddenly gasps could be heard. It caused Kathleen's look up. 'Oh wow.' She choked out. She couldn't take her eyes away from Saundra. Her gown long with a soft slight flow. Long sleeves and a train that could go on for ages. A masterpiece walked out of its frame and down the aisle with her father beside her. 'An image straight from the stages,' Kathleen looked up and down at Saundra again. 'Star perfect and much more.' Saundra blushed. 'Thank you. She has me from here Papa.' Her dad Smiles. 'That she does. She's yours now.' He hugs them both and goes to take a seat. Then the ceremony begins.

The wedding only lasted close to two hours, but everyone was sure to make it memorable. Kathleen and Saundra made their way to the carriage. 'Why hello Ladies.' Mr. Gaurld. Mr. Venice.' Saundra said with a smile. 'Where are you headed to end your beautiful day.' Kathleen gave a smile, then leaned up and whispered in Mr. Gaurld's ear. 'That is quite perfect actually.' He said tipping his hat. He waited for everyone to get situated then made their way to the destination.

November 12, 1896

It's been a month since the wedding and the honeymoon, yet Saundra had three close to the end complications again. Kathleen has been afraid to let her be alone. 'Hun, I'm okay. I can make it back to the bed.' Kathleen let go of her shoulders but kept her hands close. 'I know, but I-' 'Got to be here. Yes I know.' Saundra said with a chuckle. A cough followed. 'Hey,' Kathleen helped sit her on the bed. 'Don't hurt yourself.' Saundra sighs. 'This is antagonizing.' 'I know, but you will get through this.' Kathleen offers her the soup she first brought in. 'But when? Nothing feels the good kind of different.' There was a silence. Kathleen turned her head away from Saundra trying not to let her see the tears. 'Babe,' Saundra went to get off the bed but Kathleen stopped her. 'I shouldn't have said anything.' 'It's okay,' Kathleen set on the bed. 'Things haven't been as great as we would like but at least we have one another. Even if it hurts.' Saundra laid her head on Kathleen's shoulder. 'A nap wouldn't hurt by now.' There was a chuckle. 'You got it. Come here.' Kathleen said as she laid back on the bed. Saundra followed shortly after.

December 6, 1896

Once again the women spent quite a few nights in the hospital. Kathleen couldn't get much rest. She's been here when Saundra called out to her. For the sixth time of the day, Ms. Evelyn came in to check Saundra's vitals. 'I don't get it, there's only two things that have stayed concerning.' She said as she proceeded to write things down on the chart. Suddenly Saundra began to suddenly Shake. 'I need help with Saundra', she's having a seizure!' Kathleen backed out of the way as for other doctors came in. Everything played in slow motion before Kathleen's eyes. Before she knew it, she lost track of time.

Twenty minutes of doctors rushing around the room, and now everything was so still. Kathleen had the lifeless body of Saundra in her arms. Not wanting to let go. In the very moment she thought of every memory. The first time they met. The laughter she heard that sounded like music to her ears from across the room. Nonetheless she is thankful she was able to give her a beautiful wedding. 'We must prepare her body now.' Ms. Evelyn said with tears in her eyes. All Kathleen could do was cry harder and shake her head no. Miss Evelyn then proceeded to gently pry Saundra out of Kathleen's arms.

Another hour passed and Kathleen had Mr. Gaurld and Mr. Venice take her by the abandoned lake house. The first place she had taken Saundra as a date. She had a bottle of wine and a canvas. She set it up. She began to paint the scenery in front of her as carefully as she possibly could. It was already dark, but at this point the Moon was bright enough to give off light. Kathleen looked to the water again. The Moon reflected so beautifully off of the water. She looked at the canvas again. 'I'm not done yet.' She said out loud, then painted Saundra into the moon's reflection. There Saundra stayed for the rest of Kathleen's days like she did in her heart and mind.

November 18, 2020 21:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.