Strawberries and Cigarettes

Submitted into Contest #49 in response to: Write a story about a person waiting for an answer to a question.... view prompt

14 comments

General

September 29, 2018.

Dear, John Wesley.

How are you? It’s been a long time. Oh, not really I guess, since it’s just almost a year, but you know what, John? it feels like many decades for me.

John, something funny happened. I mean, something that for me was funny, happened. I was accompanying my friend at the mall for her birthday party preparation and there was a song played and it said,

Remember when we first met?

You said, “Light my cigarette.”

Do you remember, John? Three years ago in summer thirteen. The turning point of my life and everything I’ve built up collapsed. The love principles, the type of man I want to marry, My life purpose, everything. Literally everything.

It was the first month I’ve been working at Papa’s Johns Pizza as the waitress. You were our loyal customer with your girlfriend, Freya, ordering Brisk Sweet Tea Lemon with Cheerwine.

Don’t be surprised, John. To remember your order is not a big deal. If I may say honest, I even still remember the way you smiled at me, and the way you call me to order the order I knew before you said it.

Five seconds, John. I stood there writing your orders for five seconds, but there was a time you said different word than just, “Pepperoni, Brisk Sweet Tea Lemon and Cheerwine, please.” You also added, “Could you help me light my cigarette?”

Of course I could, John. I was so happy to be closer three more steps with you at that day.

John, I miss you.

* * *

September 29, 2018.

Dear, John Wesley.

I just finished my day. It’s so rare to write two letters for you in a day, isn’t it? Today was so exhausting, John. I helped Mia’s mother to cook a tart before the party started. It was exhausting but still fun no matter how exhausting it was.

Now I am on my bed, John, writing a diary letter for you after listening to the song I heard at the mall this afternoon. It's been on repeat for billion times, the song is titled “Strawberry and Cigarette”.

John, have you ever been affected this bad by a song that played at the mall?

It said,

You locked your keys in your car,

So you sat and stared at my lips,

And I could already feel your kiss.

Thought I could sleep by listening to that song, John, instead I was brought back to the day you asked me to accompany you to Venice. Do you remember that trip? It was Autumn twenty six, two thousand and seventeen. The first time we were together in a frame.

John, do you still remember how it happened?

You were so sad for your relationship was split by Freya, but I couldn’t tell how happy I was to be chosen for cheering you. You asked me to join you to Venice, wasn’t it too far? But I said yes without hesitation. Then, the car was run out of patrol and you decided to stop awhile since there was no gas station nearby. You shared me many story of yours before finally we went off the car and took a picture together.

You opened the door for me, after that. Asking me to just rest until the tow truck come, yet the door was locked together with the key inside. How fool you were, John! I laughed at your stupid and panic reaction, but your embarrassed face was still so handsome. You laughed back at me after that. We both laughed at each other, then I could already feel your lips.

John, what was that kiss?

* * *

June 5, 2019.

Remember when you taught me fate

Said it’d all be worth the wait

Like that night in the back of the cab

When your fingers walked in my hand

Dear, John Wesley.

John, do you know how it felt when you said, “Sorry, I’ll never do it again.”? It almost been a year passed after our first kiss in autumn two thousand and seventeen, but you put me in questions.

We kept being friend, even closer. I had no problem with that because to be with you was more than enough, but I could neither lie, John. I wanted an answer as well as certainty, yet what did I get instead?

You promised not to redo it again, but you did it. Was I sad? Nope. Of course I was not. For the first time in forever I thought I get what I want. You put your hand on me, and I couldn’t choose a word to describe how I love the way you use your hand, John.

Next day, nothin’ on my phone

But I can still smell you on my clothes

Always hoping things would change

But we went right back to your games

The next day came, and do you know the first thing I did, John? I smiled. I was so happy. I could remember your smell over my blanket and I could even feel your touch over my body, yet those happiness was faded after I found myself alone in the bed.

I turned on my phone, but there was nothing. I always hope at least one thing has changed, John, but the things I got only a new round of game.

John, I’m curious. Was I your main game? Or just another game you played when you got bored with all your CD stocks?

Guess I have to stop listening to this song.

* * *

July 10, 2020.

Long nights, daydreams

With that sugar and smoke rings

Strawberries and Cigarettes

Always taste like you

Dear, John Wesley.

Today, in two thousand and twenty. I listened to that song again, The song of Troye Sivan, Strawberry and Cigarettes, was played on the radio. John, don’t worry, I have moved on.

But may I ask, John? Where have you been? It’s been three years you disappeared. This taste way too sour, John, just like strawberries, but the memory you left was such an addiction, just like cigarettes.

John, was that night a farewell?

July 10, 2020 21:46

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

14 comments

Holland Hunter
02:11 Jul 16, 2020

Hey, Johan! Nice story! Really sweet despite the bitter (sweet) ending?? I mean, the way she writes her letters and her feelings are really, really sweet. I just wish there was something more, y'know? My first instinct as a drama thirsty fish was to think that John died. But when it ended, I wished she was abandoned by him because she was psychotic and was writing letters from a psychiatric hospital because she committed a crime against his life out of jealousy and was delusional to why she was there. But the story is yours and I have no bus...

Reply

Johan Stones
07:27 Jul 16, 2020

Hey, Holland! Thank you so much for passing by and leaving a comment! I made everything about John is clueless on purpose, but after I read your comment, I guess I should write the next chapter, lmao! the point is, your idea is beyond! For the name John that is too much of using, I 100% agree with you. It was because The story we post for the competition is supposed to have 1000 words to 3000 words. This story had only 800s. I didn't have any idea about what to write so I just repeated some sentences and blah, blah, blah. Lol! I a...

Reply

Holland Hunter
02:17 Jul 17, 2020

English is not my first english either! And duuude I started writing the story and wrote half of it in the middle of the night, had stomach flu and passed the whole week without touching it. 8hrs till the deadline I sat and didn't get up till I had finished it, in other words, at 6am. And you wrote everything AND sent it in six hours?? Round of applause for you, my pal! I would sincerely appreciate if you read it and commented what you think! It's my one single submission, you can't miss it lol Thanks for not attacking me defensively eith...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Femmy Olandha
02:53 Jul 15, 2020

Nice!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
A. Y. R
11:00 Jul 16, 2020

Here from the critique circle This story was really poetic! I loved the way you write the passing of time and presented it through both the letter entries and in each letter, waiting for John's return! One thing with the ending, I know you put the cigarette in the first entry, but if you include that in more entries, I feel the ending would feel a lot less out of place

Reply

Johan Stones
19:40 Jul 21, 2020

Hello A.Y.R! thank you so much for leaving a comment! I was so hectic and now I'm just set free, I'm sorry for the late reply! Regarding your critics, it's wonderful! I'm actually thinking about to write John's return, too! ahaha! It's so glad to see this story fit your fancy, but I didn't really understand about your critic for the ending. So, did you mean It's better if I put "Cigarette" in more entries or something? Please tell me, I'm in dire to know what it means, my english is just way too bad to understand that hehe! Thanks a lo...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Namira N
04:18 Jul 16, 2020

nice story. i like it!❤️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Nancy Drayce
07:20 Jul 11, 2020

I really like the concept of the story! At first, I was a bit confused, but shortly after everything cleared up. I am just said that I don't know what happened between the two of them 🙁🙁 But still, i liked it very much! 🤗

Reply

Johan Stones
09:40 Jul 11, 2020

wow, thanks a lot for leaving a comment! it's actually simple, just about a girl that is left by a man she used to love. please tell me what made it unclear for learning reason 😚😚😭💔🤗

Reply

Nancy Drayce
09:48 Jul 11, 2020

Yeah, i got that, it wasn't, should I say, a mistake, it is more like that I was sad for not knowing the reason why he left her. (Or I skipped it by accident 😬) But it is the beauty of this story, many people can read it and imagine their own life and their own experience as a beginning (as a reason why he left) 🤗🤗❤❤

Reply

Johan Stones
19:32 Jul 11, 2020

oh my god, that is my goal and you got that perfectly! you didn't skip anything and I just flustered by the fact someone literally gives attention to my story. I'll do it back right away and left my trace there 💓💓💓🤗 thanks a lot!! god bless <3

Reply

Nancy Drayce
19:44 Jul 11, 2020

Yaay!! I know what you are saying, because i feel the same! I love feedback, and as much as I write for myself I also write for other people to read it! So I totally understand what you are saying! ❤❤❤

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Nancy Drayce
22:52 Jul 26, 2020

I have to comment on your story because I have a question for you. I kept waiting for you to upload a new story and nothing! Will you upload something for this new contest? 🧐🤭

Reply

Show 0 replies
Eva Bhalla
20:43 Jul 24, 2020

Two quick things, reread the line “You told me many story of yours” and maybe limit the amount of “Johns” you use. Other than that I loved it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.