That One Crime.

Written in response to: Start your story during a full moon night.... view prompt

0 comments

Mystery Sad Thriller

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

At 11:00 P.M., Monday, March 19. I was sitting across a table, facing two high-school girls, not as a father looking at his precious daughters with a loving face, but as a police inspector looking at two murderers with a hard, stern face.

"Why did you kill your father by hammering a spike into his head?" I said, the younger one, Hanna, answered first, "We didn't mean to." in a most appealing voice, though one which I didn't buy. The older one, Mary, replied to her with gritted teeth, "Yes. We. Did. Mean. It." I looked at Mary, then turned to Hanna, then back again to Mary, "Tell the truth, for it may be the one thing which will save you from being hanged with a charge of murder." They both gulped at looked at each other, Mary spitted out some words so fast, they were unintelligible,"Okayfinewedidmeanitbutitwasforourownsecretpurposes" I was so confused, "Please repeat it Miss."

They looked at each other, and had one of those eye conversation which plainly said from Hanna to Mary, "I really think we should tell him the truth." And replied to by Mary, "No. We can't, we'll still get hanged either way." Hanna answered by, "We have to. It's our only chance and hope." Mary nodded, then took a deep breath..

"We are not two high school girls, instead we are two grown-up men and we are in disguise, both in appearance and voice. We are currently using a voice changer that uses a cable attached from our wrists and connects to our throats. It uses voice AI, all we need to do is program and input what kind of voice we want. There." She, or rather, he, pulled up his wrist sleeve. I was so shocked, and just then, 'Hanna' did the same as 'Mary'.

"You both won't be hanged, if you'll tell the full story in front of me here and now." I smiled encouragingly at them, just like the way when I encouraged my little daughters to ride their first two-wheel bikes. They nodded at each other and both took deep breaths, "I'm Dregger, and I was born in America." said 'Hanna' "And I'm Staangerson, I was born in The Netherlands. But, of course, I can speak English." I nodded, "Please, continue." Dregger answered, "Right."

"Staangerson moved to Central America, New York when he was 5 and I was 6. His dad works at Enox, the car company and my dad works at Hamayam, Enox's rival. Enox has specific rules that none of their employees should communicate or meet with employees from other car companies. Probably afraid somebody might leak their secrets to their rivals. Well, since Staangerson and his family settled into a home right next beside mine, me and Staangerson played together when both of our dads were at work and our moms talked to each other also. It turns out that Staangerson's dad, John, talked to my dad, Arthur." Staangerson took the lead, "Dregger's dad was unaware of Enox's rules, so he talked and talked, until one day, Dregger's dad stood talking in front of my dad's office. The boss came out, and saw Arthur talking to my dad, he was sure that Arthur works at Hamayam, because of his uniform and immediately blamed my dad for supposed treachery and fired him there and then." Dregger took back the lead, "Yes. John was fired and immediately thought of joining Hamayam and being my dad's workmate. My dad obviously agreed. A few years later, I was 9 and Staangerson was 8, my dad and Staangerson's made a friend with someone named, Louis Tuo. Strange name eh? Yea well, turns out this Tuo was a criminal and he just escaped from Spain and had ran along to America in hopes of being forgotten and in hopes of living a peaceful life. Well, that was what happened, he lived in peace and was forgotten for a few years and made friend with my dad and Staangerson's until one day my dad, Staangerson's and Tuo had a fight about something that boiled up Tuo's evil heart, and he killed our fathers. Our mothers didn't know nothing about it till we told them and they were shocked and both of them adapted heart disease and died on the same day a few months later. Me and my friend were deeply sad about it and found out the Tuo had run for his life in Thailand and we chased him down. With our fathers wills we were able to follow him quite easily and quickly. Once we landed in Thailand we got wind that he was already in Paris so we took the most direct planes and ships there. Once we arrived in Paris we found out that he worked at the docks from 11:00 P.M. to 5:00 A.M. so we ambushed him by using our disguise and killed him with a crate spike and a hammer found nearby. We found out before that his son with whom we had been of friendly acquaintance before died a few weeks before, because something in his chest burst, and it was called Aneurysm. We found out where he worked and at what time by spying and using our disguise to enter a school in which he had once applied work for. The principal told us that he went to apply for a job at the docks after he was rejected at the school. So that's where we came and spied at him. And I think that is all me and Staangerson have to say." He sighed. and I immediately cleared his and Staangerson's charge.

After all that had been cleared, I went outside, it was 2 A.M. in the morning, yet, I saw a beautiful whole moon shining brightly, which reminded me very greatly of my two little beautiful daughters and how I will kiss their forehead tonight and whisper to them softly, "Happy full moon Scotland Yarders! I love you." Because they love Sherlock Holmes.

THE END. CREDITS FOR INSPIRATION TO: SIR ARTHUR CONAN DYLE, AUTHOR OF SHERLOCK HOLMES.

thank you.

July 05, 2023 12:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.