3 comments

Mystery Thriller

Fred was not very like by any of his family or his so-called friends that seem to come to the hospital for one reason which was to say hello to his millions of dollars that somehow they seemed to think was to become theirs. He would like to be a fly on the wall when his lawyer read his will to his family which was going to go nuclear after hearing how much he didn’t leave them. No one was going to like what he gave to them, but that was their problem after he was gone. There was going to be only one person that was going to like how his will read after he was gone.  Only one person that wasn’t even in his life anymore, but that one person was the only one he could trust with his secrets of life.

His lawyer had come yesterday in the afternoon to hear what he was going to do with his money and when he told his lawyer his plan to leave the money to two people that he respected the most and  that would do the best with it. The lawyer had a shocked on his face and he said, “Your family is not going to like this and they will take it to court to argue that the money should be theirs. A judge will listen to both sides and I am not too sure how the judge will rule. It should be fun to watch the fireworks after they hear what is going to happen to the money.” Pausing, to think if he should tell Fred about the rumors that his family is spreading around on what they think they are going to get and how they will spend his money that he worked so hard for. 

One of the nephews was spreading around, he is going to get one million dollars and he was planning to buy everything that can bring fun into his life because his uncle didn’t know how to have fun, which also meant he was going to have fun for both of them. The nephew planned to quit his job by simple not showing up anymore and not caring what happen to his job. The boss could give it to another slave of the office because he was going to be a rich man. A sister was telling everyone she was going to get the whole show because her brother loved her, the best in the family. They would sit for hours talking about the rest of the family and she knew she was going to be rich. The lawyer had heard that the police were called to stop the sister and the nephew from killing one another.

Fred looked at his lawyer, “You really don’t have to tell me how many rumors are going around about the money. That is all that my dear family is after and I know that for sure. You see, I used to throw parties around Thanksgiving and Christmas for the family, the whole feast and presents for everyone. I was stupid to think that someone would actually get me something for a present or even tell me thanks for having the parties. Nothing was what my family gave me, but they sure can ask for money when they are in trouble. I have two people that are in charge of getting the money back when I actually do have a soft spot to any of my dear family. Susie needed two hundred dollars to bail her husband out of jail and two hundred dollars for a new dress to wear to court for his sentencing. Lee needed one thousand dollars down payment for a car that he just had to have and crashed after having it for three weeks. He thought I was going to pay off the car and got a little mad when I laugh at him. Some of the family, fight tooth and nail, not to pay the money back I loaned them, so now, they just have to wait until I am dead and buried. I would love to see how mad they are going to be when nothing comes their way.”

Two days later, Fred was found dead in his hospital bed. The morgue said “Natural Causes.”   His lawyer was called by the hospital to be informed of Fred’s Death and when he told Fred’s family, he was not surprised at the response that came after the announcement. He didn’t expect any of the family to break down, but what he did hear was when is the will be read.  Not by one of the family, but from most of the money hungry family. Fred had been right on the attitudes that his family would show. No one was going to mourn his passing except his lawyer.

After the will was read, Fred’s family sat in stunned silence as everyone in that room realized that no one in his family got any money. The money was supposed to be divided between his adopted daughter that wasn’t even in the room and Fred gave his lawyer, the cost for his work on his will plus some extra money to use to fight his family when they decide to take him to court.  As the family left the room, they told him that they were indeed to take him to court because he would not get away with forging of the will.  The family members left fighting with themselves as well as yelling remarks back at him.

The adopted daughter, Paula lived in another state because she wanted to keep her distance between herself and the so-called loving family she found out was her real family. She had always felt sorry for her father, Fred who was the center of the family. He had tried to show her kindness and love, but the other members of the family didn’t even talk to her. Paula was worried from day one about Fred being that close to the family and she always expected to hear that someone shot Fred to death. No call came of his death until the day that the lawyer called to say that Fred had died of natural causes. Or did one of his family member find a way to kill Fred ,so it looked like natural causes?

September 01, 2020 02:06

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Greg Gorman
02:15 Sep 10, 2020

Fred seems like a nice person. Too bad he was cursed to live with such a family. Paula seems like a lucky person to have someone like Fred to adopt her. It seems the rest of his family didn't realize how nice of a person he was. Some families are like that. Unfortunately, some families are also the way you described them when Fred died and it was time for the will to be read. I thought of the movie "Gran Torino" when I read this. It seemed all the family cared about was who was going to get the car when the MC died. No one in the family got...

Reply

Judith Buskohl
00:11 Sep 11, 2020

Yes, I actually was planning on writing a book around this idea. It would different from this one ,but not much. I was thinking about the ending and do it differently. Maybe with someone killing Fred when they find out that he isn't really dying. That someone was stealing from him and his lawyer thinks that it would bring out the person if he was dying. You know the killer would think he had accomplished his plan. Which of the family member should it be? One of my friends suggested Paula ,but I just can't get behind that idea. She sa...

Reply

Greg Gorman
00:54 Sep 11, 2020

Paula would be a good twist but I'm not sure I would like reading that. Fred not being dead would be a great twist. It would probably bring out a lot of other traits for the other people in his family.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.