0 comments

Fantasy

Emily squinted her eyes against the swirling snow as she reached the top of the wet subway stairs. Shoulders hunched to her ears, she pulled up her hood and tightened her scarf. She wasn’t even sure why she was going. It had been a hellish day, as usual, and she just wanted to get home, climb into bed and pull the covers over her head. But she’d begged off last time and knew that Val would take it personally. She had been distant with her since Val’s cancer diagnosis, not really knowing what to say. So, braced against the freezing downtown gusts, Emily elbowed her way into the pedestrian traffic and ploughed her way forward towards Lola’s.

Over here! Val stood up and waved. They were in a booth near the back of the crowded bar. An almost empty pitcher of sangria, a few scraps of pita bread and a couple of blobs of artichoke dip littered the table.

Oh my god, it’s horrible out there! Why does anyone live in this god forsaken country? Emily shook off her coat and scarf and squeezed into the booth beside Val.

You’re late! What happened this time? Lily arched her perfect eyebrows and didn’t even try to look sympathetic. Not meeting Lily’s challenging stare, Emily shook her head and smiled sheepishly.

Oh the usual BS. My boss is an idiot and has no life, so no-one else can have one either. She stopped herself and took a deep breath. Anyway, how are you guys? Where’s Karen?

Val and Lily exchanged a quick dark glance.

What? Is she ok?

Sam’s back. Val’s mouth twisted into a disapproving smile.

Oh. That’s….

Emily didn’t know what to say. Sam. He’d been gone for a while. Three? Four months? She frowned as she pictured Karen’s kind, gentle face. And the bruises she’d tried to cover up with make up. And her eyes. Her sad, soulful eyes, always slightly downcast, darting away from the angry glares of her well-meaning friends.

Lily pressed her lips together in unconcealed contempt. Fine lines were etching their way into permanent residence on her perfectly made-up face.

He’s a total A-hole. I’d dance in a red dress at his funeral. What is she thinking? How can she even THINK about taking him back? After everything…

Val shrugged and smiled sadly.

He has been working out west. Paid her back all the money he borrowed.

Borrowed? What a joke! He STOLE her savings. He TOTALLED her car. And he….well, we all know what he did to her. What is wrong with her?

Val sighed and shook her head.

It’s complicated…she doesn’t have….anyway…we’ll just have to wait and see.

Lily snorted as she drained her glass.

Yeah, just wait and see. And then we will have to pick up the pieces all over again. Well, I’m out. If she is determined to be a victim, then I for one am not going to sit back and watch. She has to CHOOSE happiness. Life is just a set of choices and it’s time she made the right one.

Emily rolled her eyes.

Oh come on, Lily. You know it isn’t that simple. If it was, we’d all be….

What? Go on Em…we’d all be what? Happy? Sometimes you just have to walk away. It isn’t rocket science. Like you… you could just quit and find a better job instead of whining and complaining every minute about your stupid boss. Life’s too short to put up with other people’s damage. You have to take charge of your own destiny.

Emily opened her mouth and then closed it. There was no use arguing with Lily. Her confidence was impenetrable. Her absolute belief in her own superiority was astonishing. Her husband, Frank, was a keeper. Her uptown house was gorgeous. Her children were perfect. How could she possibly understand?

I need a drink! I’ve got some catching up to do.                     

As if on cue, the server was suddenly smiling down at her.

What can I get you?

Emily smiled up at him. His dark eyes gleamed and his beautiful white teeth seemed impossibly straight.

What are we doing ladies? More sangria? I might need something stronger.

His eyes sparkled with mischief and he winked.

I have just the thing. Do you trust me?

Emily felt a little flutter in her stomach. God, he was beautiful, almost ethereal.

Um…OK…surprise me.

Me too! Val chimed in, relieved for the change in direction. It’s my round, surprise all of us.

Emily let her mind wander while Val seized the opportunity to safely change the subject. She replayed the work day moments that haunted her every night. The disparaging comments, the implied criticism, the endless parade of meaningless tasks inflicted upon her by her boss. The hamster wheel of her life was sucking all the vitality out of her. Or was she just getting old? Did everyone feel this tired and empty?

The server returned with four highballs. The glasses sparkled with rich amber elixir over ice with lime wedges and maraschino cherries.

This is an old family recipe, he said, flashing that brilliant smile at Emily. I think you’ll like it. I save it for very special occasions…and very special people.

Lily sniffed at her glass suspiciously.

What’s in it?

Ah, that is an ancient secret. Only the gods know for sure.

Val wondered where she had heard his accent before. It was strange and yet familiar. Like a lost treasure. She took a tentative sip.

Wow! What do you call it?

Emily tilted her glass to her lips.

Oh my god, I call it DELICIOUS!

It’s called an Amani Star. Imagine something you want while you drink and your wish will come true. Enjoy!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sun was setting, but it was still warm and Emily smiled as she reached Lola’s. She was right on time! Val stood up and hugged her when she reached the booth.

You made it! How are you?

Emily smiled and slid into the booth beside her.

I’m great! How are you? Your appointment was last week. How did it go?

Val looked directly into her eyes. Her gaze was intent.

Full remission. It’s over. I’m ok. I’m better than ok. I’m amazing!

Oh Val! I’m so happy for you! This is the best news!

They hugged again and held each other tightly until they heard Karen’s voice.

Hey girls! Do I get a hug too?

Karen! You’re here! You look wonderful! Look at your hair! It’s just fabulous!

They chattered happily as the appetizers arrived and splashed sangria into their glasses.

The friends cheered when Emily announced her promotion and told them how much she was enjoying her new responsibilities. She didn’t mention how her boss’ sudden fatal heart attack had created the opportunity.

Karen, I can’t believe how great you look! That colour is perfect on you.

Karen blushed and looked down at the table.

I just needed a change I guess. Do you really like it?

The women gushed their enthusiasm and Karen glowed in the warmth of her friends’ affection.

After…the accident…I just felt…different….like I needed a fresh start.

The chatter stopped. They had attended Sam’s funeral. Not for him, but for Karen.

Lily arrived a few minutes later. Her shoulders were slumped and her face was pale. Uncharacteristic dark circles sat heavily under her eyes

What’s wrong? What happened? Are you alright?

Lily slid into the booth beside her.

Nothing. I just haven’t been sleeping. I need a drink.

Val poured sangria into the last empty glass and pushed it towards her friend. With trembling hands, Lily brought the glass to her lips and drained it. The others watched silently, wondering.

It’s all my fault, Lily finally whimpered. I wished it.

Mouths fell open around the table. There were so many questions, but somehow no words. They waited as Lily shook with silent sobs.

At last, Lily blew her nose and looked around the table. Her eyes were dulled by shame and fear of judgement. She looked at Karen and reached for her hand. Her voice quavered as she spoke in a barely audible whisper.

I killed Sam. I’m sorry. I wished him dead.

Karen’s eyes widened as she looked at Lily, who now seemed crushed, deflated, smaller than she’d ever been. Her voice cracked as she spoke.

What do you mean…you killed him…you wished?

Lily’s eyes hardened as she looked at Val and Emily in turn.

You know exactly what I mean. You both know. Karen wasn’t there.

Karen looked around the table, bewildered.

I don’t understand. I wasn’t where? What’s going on?

Lily called over the young woman who was serving their table and asked about the man was with the dark eyes and brilliant smile. The man with the special ancient recipe. The young server looked confused.

I’m sorry ma’am, I don’t know who you mean.

Lily’s voice raised in pitch as she described the man again.

He’s tall, very handsome, dark hair, perfect teeth! He has an accent, you must remember him!

The young woman shook her head again.

I’m sorry, but I’ve worked here for three years, and that doesn’t sound like anyone who works here. Maybe you’re thinking of a different bar? Maybe Lucy’s Place? It’s just down the street. Can I get you ladies something else to drink?

Lily started to weep. Emily’s lip began to tremble. Val stood up abruptly, half laughing, half crying.

An Amani Star! Bring us four Amani Stars.

The server smiled nervously.

I’m sorry Ma’am, but I have never heard of that one. Maybe if you tell me what‘s in it, I can ask the bartender to whip something up.

Emily looked at Val.

Your cancer.

Val looked at Emily.

Your boss.

Lily looked at Karen.

Sam. I’m sorry.

 

 

March 13, 2020 17:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.