2 comments

Middle School Holiday Funny

“Sally, do you realize that Monday is Valentine’s Day”? Wendy yells across the across the hallway to her friend, who was busy shoving her jacket into her locker. Making sure her books did not fall out, as they have in the past laugh out loud. “When they are too serious, what the heck are we ever going to do”? As both girls realized they were running out of time, the final bell warning rings. Sally yells over to Wendy ”tell your parents that you are spending the weekend with me”. They both hug each other in the middle of the hallway, and run off to class and the opposite of directions as they don’t want to be late again to class because they know that they will be getting in school suspension.

It’s the last class of the day, also the last class of the week Sally is excited to get into home economics. As she walks in the door she sees Mrs.Svetz standing there with her apron on..which meant they are baking today! Heck yeah! What a great way to finish out the week. Sally grabs her apron and puts it on, making sure as well that her hair is pulled back in a ponytail..she learned the last time as part of her long hair got burnt on the burner. Mrs. Svetz begins to talk, calling Sally back to full attention, “class since it is Valentine’s Day on Monday, you’re free to bake anything chocolate that you choose, have fun and please clean up before you leave”. Sally knew that was meant for her, as she left dirty dishes the last time. She learned, lol finally.

Sally saw the double boiler, the Bakers chocolate, the cocoa powder, the vanilla extract, and the powder sugar, the butter and the wooden spoon, the thermometer, and the oven mitt. She preheated the oven to first make a cake, and then proceeded to clean up, before making the frosting she was told her Great Nana made. OK, a teaspoon of vanilla, a dash or two of salt, melting the bakers chocolate and 2 tablespoons of butter, add in 2 cups powdered sugar, 2 teaspoons of cocoa powder, blend together until melted, adding in whatever else was need to make it consistent. Take it off the burner to chill a little, take the cake out of the oven, making sure to turn it off, another lesson learned. And while she was waiting for it to cool, she realized that it was the perfect time to to clean up and do the dishes.

Once they were all done, the cake was cool enough to frost. Sally was excited to lick the spoon when the cake was finished. She realized that she had enough frosting left over to make roses for her brother and sister, if not more. Once they were ready she put them in the fridge to chill. Then, she realized she could do this for the two cute guys that her and Wendy had crushes on, she’d just ask her Dad to take her to the store on the way home. Before she knew it the five minute warning was given. She came back into the room, and grabbed the four roses out of the fridge, washed out the molds, and put all the supplies away, wrapped up the cake in plastic wrap loosely, holding it up with toothpicks, wrapped up the roses, put her apron in the wash, tidying up her area. Then, thanked Mrs. Svetz for a cool assignment, wished her “have a happy weekend”, and skipped out the door with her gifts.

Wendy, was in her least favorite class math, they had a surprise test.. Great she thought to herself, “what a way to end the week”. Before she got too upset, she took a deep breath and with a sigh.. Released the sigh. The teacher thank God was a substitute who was cute, as he passed out the test he noticed Wendy didn’t have a pencil, he got her one with a slight laugh and then gave them all instructions to “begin the test, keep your own eyes on your paper, and when you are finished, turn it in then grab the other sheet of paper for you, keeping quiet until everyone is finished. Good luck”.

Wendy, was shocked when she looked at the test and realized..she actually knew more than she thought! A big smile came across her face, as she sped through the test, realizing that she was the first one done “Don’t change your answers” , she recalled her Mom telling her the last time. She got up, walked to the front of the class and turned in her paper, blushing as the teacher looked up at her in her eyes. Ahh, he was cute! She picked up the other piece of paper, thanked him quietly, and went back to her desk. She turned over the paper and saw it was a dot to dot, she chuckled quietly and then proceeded to finish it. The finished product was a Happy Valentine’s day card with a box of chocolates to color in. The perfect gift to color and then give to her parents. Before she knew it, the bell rang and she pushed in her chair, cleaned up her desk, threw the garbage away, gave the cute substitute the pencil back, he told her “keep it, and here is a topper for it, grab a box of candy hearts too, they are from your teacher”. She thanked him and after putting the gifts in her backpack, skipped out the door.

Sally met her at their lockers, they both grabbed their belongings and skipped out the door where both their parents were waiting for them. Wendy yelled to Susan” my dad said it’s OK if I spend the weekend as long as your mom says it’s OK”? Of course it was, they made plans for Wendy to get dropped off after four. Giving them both time to go home and relax. Wendy couldn’t wait to get home, and color in the gift. Susan already gave her Dad a rose, he ate it licking his lips and sucking on the stick until they got home.

February 12, 2022 15:50

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Joan Wright
01:51 Feb 25, 2022

The first paragraph was a bit confusing. There were some grammar errors concerning quotes, which made it difficult at first to know who was speaking. I enjoyed your comparison of the two characters which both added to the total story and revealed each character's personality. It ended too abruptly. I thought maybe I had missed part of it. Your characters exhibited true characteristics of high school girls but I wish I had known what they looked like. Good Job!

Reply

Lisa Quinn
18:04 Feb 25, 2022

Thank you, the continuation can be found in the book that I created from this prompt!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.