0 comments

Friendship

Krishna

Night I tossed from left to right unable to sleep. Visualizing the entire forthcoming events of the next day I smiled at myself.  It would be a big day for us. Exiting yet emotional. School farewell day. The day which we had always yearned for. The society would no longer call us as "kids". The school principal stood at the dias for the opening speach. There were a series of programs lined up to make our day a special and memorable one. End of the day we'd be receiving a medal and momentum from the school. The certificate distribution and of course photo sessions with the teachers and juniors. Emm... wow! so exciting. I could wait nomore. With all these randomly flashing scenes on my mind screen, I blushed with closed eyes.

The mobile vibrated signaling the message. It was krishna. "Hey, hi. Am unable to sleep. The same weird thing again"

Me: oh! Really? I mean, what is it this time? Shadow? Again?

Krishna: uh! No, not shadow.

Me: then?

Krishna: it's very blurry. Unable to figure out who. But someone close to us. I can sense it strongly.

Me: hey, clam down. Don't over think. Don't imagine. Try to sleep. Everything's gonna be fine. Tomorrow is an immensely significant day in our lives. Let's make is as big and as memorable as possible.

Krishna: u know I don't imagine. It just happens like a lightning shot. I'm not sure who or what in detail, but I'm totally disturbed. Am feeling restless, worried and confused.

Me: it's okay. Absolutely fine. It happens. The sooner you accept the better. Now that we do not have any clarity. It's tough to act upon. So the best thing we can do at this hour, at this minute is to sleep. Drinking a glass of cold milk gives a good sleep. It calms down your senses.

Krishna: don't give me advises like my mom. I taught you'd understand.

Me: I surely do understand. I don't want you to keep thinking to the extent that you become sick. Remember last time. You had a bad time. You were so restless that you had fluctuating blood pressure.

Krishna: I remember everything. But i haven't forgotten that with all the worries and all the effort I still couldn't make it on time. My shadow. My shadow.

I was silent. I neither had the answers to his questions nor did I have any solution to his current state of mind. Yet I wanted him to keep calm.

Me: I truly appreciate your concern. But krish, can we do anything for this? The answer is no. Isn't that the truth. So we'd rather not overthink. Take it as it comes.

Krishna: easily said than done.

Me: ???

Krishna: you're right. Can't do anything. This is the bitter truth about my life. I hate myself for this. It's very painful. Ok bye. You sleep. Sorry to have disturbed you.

Me: hey, come on krish. Don't get formal. Chill. Relax. Do some breathing excercise that you usually do to calm down during such anxieties.

Krishna: ok

Me: see you tomorrow. Try getting some sleep.

Krishna: bye

Me: bye.

I couldn't sleep a bit after that. I tossed even more. Krishna and I were childhood friends. Our families had moved in to this place together. I remember being with him as far as my memory goes. We have been in the same school from kindergarten. Stayed close and the best of friends. Knowing him so well , I knew he'd be awake and wouldn't be able to sleep too. Yet I didn't want him to overthink and hurt himself emotionally.

Krishna is an intelligent smart and talented guy. He is the topper of our class and has always been. A deep thinker. An obedient boy. He never would hurt anybody with words or deeds. Compassionate and caring, emotional and empathetic. Though quiet and sublime, He'd always stand out of the crowd. He has  been getting such episodes of visual

Precognitions since many years. He could visualize certain incidents. That would soon be reality. The most annoying part however; was the fact that most incidents involving accidents and trauma. This would likely agitate krish. The greatest concern was the fact that he couldn't avert nor help anyone involved. He often said that he felt like being tied with a rope and mouth sealed.

I distinctly remember last time when he had this episode. It was about a month back. We were on the basketball court. Dribbling the ball, as he moved forward, he shook his head rapidly and fell on the ground. After a few minutes he looked around, jumped to his toes and rushed out. I followed him confused and concerned. He rushed home and started to shout out loud. "Shadow, shadow, shadow". Where is shadow he enquired the maid?

Shadow was krishna's dog. A well-known lovable and adorable white German shepherd. Krishna was fond of him. Shadow was a great pal. Both of them played for hours. Shadow would often sleep with Krishna on his bed. Despite being shouted upon and advised Krishna wouldn't let go; neither would shadow part. Krishna took immemse care of him. Bathing him, feeding him, shopping for dog food and the regular vet visits. Morning walks and fun-filled energetic play in the evenings.

That day as Krishna rushed home. He frantically searched for shadow. When asked he replied " Shadow is in danger. I can see. I can sense. I see him wounded, bleeding, and groaning in pain. He is hurt. Come let's go. It was an awful day. Shadow was hit by a fast speeding car on the road. As Krishna had narrated, we witnessed shadow in pain, groaning, bleeding and suffering. We did rush him to the pet clinic, but in vain. Shadow breathed his last on krishna's lap.

The next couple of weeks Krishna was out of form. He went into depression. A series of psychological counseling and a vacation to the hills. It was a tough time. Krishna's father surprised him with a little pup on his birthday. The pup was named shadow. It was a miniature of the late shadow. Krishna slowly recovered and settled down with the normal routine.

Pulling myself back from the past I snuggled under my pillow and dozed off. The next morning as we sat for the morning mass at our school church, I could see a very restless Krishna. Soon after the assembly, I had a word with him. He was is sweating in buckets, despite the childless that covered the place. He breathed heavily. I recollected shadow's incident.

With red eyes, a rather confused look, he said " it's our principal." The blue blaze stuck. He turns and is hit. Blood and pain. I trembled at his aggressive expression. With no time to waste, we took off. The cab drove fast. Krish told, this was going to happen at 8:45am, near the signal. He could see the clock across the street wall. It showed 8: 45. I peered by the wrist watch. It was 8:39. We reached there. Looked around for principal. No signs of him. Krishna stood still on the pavement. Closed his eyes. Then almost with a jolt , rushed towards the parking area. We spotted Mr. Thomas, our principal. He was sure in blue blazer. As he entered the car, he dropped off his parcel. In an attempt to pick it, his blazer stuck to the hatch of the car. Krishna stood frozen for a second. Then almost suddenly rushed fast, pulled the blazer off his hand and pushed him on the pathway. Mr. Thomas stood up in rage fuming, as his elbow was bleeding with the hit. Just about suddenly, from nowhere a jeep came thrashing onto the side of the car.

Uh! That was close. I looked onto the street across. The clock struck 8:45. I couldn't believe what I'd witnesses. Krishna knelt down and cried aloud. Mr. Thomas too shocked, thanked Krishna. I slowly moved forward and rested my hand on his shoulder. He turned saying" accident happened?" I repieled. "Yes, you couldn't change that, pain and blood did happen; but you did save his life. That's a big thing krish. Thank God".

July 24, 2021 03:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.