2 comments

Fiction Happy Coming of Age

Dahlia Gorvana.

Her name rang through his end on an endless loop. Like a chime in the wind constantly ringing beautiful melodies.

He’d met her during an interest meeting for a special course he was signing up for. She was the most beautiful girl he’d ever seen. Her thick locks of deep black hair complemented her midnight eyes and rich tan skin. He’d never seen anyone as incredible.

Donovin Campbell was the luckiest man alive.

He threw a blanket down on the green grass. She loved the outdoors. He set out a few candles and lit them one by one. The faint red-orange flame did little to illuminate the area but it set the perfect tone. He set down baskets and trays of sweet smelling arrays of food. The pastries were still steaming.

The warm summer air wrapped around him in a refreshing breeze. Trees being gently tugged by the wind surrounded a deep blue sky scattered with bright stars. 

Donovin thought back to the day they’d met. The moment he laid eyes on her, his words clumped together and his jaw hung. She’d laughed. The sound smooth and velvety. Her full, red lips had stretched into a beautiful smile.

“Hello, I’m Dahlia.” Her eyes seemed to sparkle.

“D-Donovin.” He had always been an awkward fool in hindsight, but she loved that about him. He frequently stammered when she was around and his cheeks always went red.

Eventually, he’d gotten used to her constant presence. They grew closer every day and after a few months of being friends, he finally worked up the courage to ask her out.

They’d been together for several months now. He no longer blushed when he thought of her. It made him realize how deeply he’d fallen in love. He couldn’t help but think of what their future might bring.

Donovin had fantasies of living in a small home on the outskirts of the bustling city with four kids who he’d love and cherish. He dreamed of the late nights he would spend with Dahlia. The words they would share under the setting sun. Maybe someday, he would ask her to marry him. Maybe she’d say yes and they’d be together for the rest of their days.He thought of what their wedding might look like. He thought of her long, silky black hair tied in intricate knots on her head, of the immaculate white dress she would wear, of the exquisite array of flowers wrapped into a bouquet.

He shook his head. He had to focus on the here and now. That future wouldn’t become a reality unless he made the present as incredible a ride as possible.

“Hello, Donovin.” Dahlia’s soft, velvety voice rang gently through the silence.

“Welcome, Dahlia.”

She sat beside him on the blanket and stared at the picnic dinner he’d set up.

Her olive skin let off a golden glow in the warm candlelight. Her deep, midnight eyes met his pale, green ones and he sighed at the rush of admiration that filled him. Her beauty was unmatched.

Donovin leaned in close to press his lips against hers. “Happy Valentine’s Day, Dahlia.”

* * *

Donovin sat in the same chair he did every morning. His bones ached and he could barely walk anymore. Now, he spent his days sitting and watching the sun rise and set like he used to do with Dahlia.

Her memory made him happier than anything. Even though she was no longer here with him, he still felt her presence everywhere he went.

He stared up at the orange clouds. She was up there somewhere, watching over him. The care-free and innocent days they’d spent together flashed in his mind.

He watched as the sun disappeared behind the trees then slowly stood from the rocking chair he’d built with Dahlia on their first days of moving into their home. He retreated to his room inside the house.

He picked up the picture sitting on his bedside table. It was their wedding photo. What resembled branches of a tree were carved into the golden frame of the picture.

Every week, Donovin replaced the old flowers set up next to the photo with newer ones. Dahlia was the one who’d first begun placing the flowers there. She said it made the picture even more meaningful to her.

Dahlia looked just as he remembered, dressed in the beautiful white silks of her wedding dress, her dark hair piled on top of her head, her midnight eyes still holding the same joyful gleem he’d always loved.

The vows recited in his head as if it were yesterday. He recalled the tears of joy on her face as they spoke their truths.

The couple shared more tears when they found out she was with child. When that first baby had been born, he’d never seen her happier.

Their five children moved away to live with their own families. They visited often, bringing with them their own children.

Donovin ran his fingers over Dahlia’s young face. She’d passed away several years ago due to her old age. He’d mourned her for months but knew she would still have that joy no matter where she went.

Time had finally caught up with him after that. He knew his days would soon come to an end and lived every day like it was his last. Not one moment went by that he didn’t think of Dahlia. He could still remember her laugh, her smell, her voice, her constant joy.

He loved her with everything he had. Even after her death, he kept up the traditions they had, visiting the same forests and fields they’d spent their late nights of youth until he could no longer move as easily. His joints popped with every movement but it was a reminder of how much closer he was to reaching her.

Donovin loved his life and wanted to savor it while it lasted. There were times when he wanted time to stop so everything would stay the same and nothing would ever change.

Dahlia had once told him that life is about growing and making decisions you sometimes don’t like. If you never move on from the sorrows that might overwhelm you, how could you ever change?

He cherished those words. He recited them to himself every day. When he felt himself slipping away into darkness, he reminded himself of everything she’d taught him. Words couldn’t describe the love he felt for her. He hoped that someday he would be able to see her again.

His lips pressed against the picture he still held in his fragile hands. “Happy Anniversary, my love.” Then he set the picture back down and stared at it until he drifted to a deep slumber.

* * *

The next day, Donovin Campbell passed away peacefully in his sleep. His children found him holding the picture of his wedding photo along with a bundle of dahlias.

February 19, 2021 20:37

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Maddy Bardell
16:30 Feb 24, 2021

This is a really beautiful story! So well written!!

Reply

18:04 Feb 24, 2021

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.