Dane Meets Dane

Written in response to: Write a story about a character who wakes up in space.... view prompt

1 comment

Adventure Fantasy Science Fiction

At 6 AM, Dane yearned for a simpler life and moved into his pod. He had a blast with his friends last night. Excessive drug use was the cause of his electrolyte imbalance.

Regrettably, he was unaware of the consequences the following day. Suddenly, it dawned on him, and he realized it would make for a fantastic book title. "Goggers and the Morning After."

Dane felt famished; his left arm grew tired, and his stomach rumbled with hunger. 

Did the boys' late-night smoking cause it? He realized he hadn't been anywhere lately, and his dream journal was full of darkness.

The pod provided nourishment, quickly relieving the toxic effects he would have felt upon waking up. Though he wanted to stay in bed, he knew the "Unconscious Bookstore" couldn't run independently.

He ordered the pod to do a task while on steroids, keeping his body hydrated and starting his daily routine. 

He recalled someone asking if he was ready and assuring him it wouldn't hurt. They shared the same name and promised to take care of him. Meanwhile, his stomach rumbled, and he asked for breakfast in bed. He made his favourite breakfast wrap by filling a spinach tortilla with cheese, salsa, and two eggs. 

Dane felt refreshed and ready for the day after taking his vitamins and enjoying a smoothie. He energetically entered the shower and shaved efficiently. Getting dressed was straightforward, with his clothes neatly folded outside the pod. 

Without his knowledge, the pod became his mother, fulfilling Dane's every desire. Dane had customized the pod to handle his preferred tasks and mundane chores instead of sticking to the advertised functions of the residential complex.

As Dane was leaving the kitchen, his phone rang. Curiosity sparked; he wondered who could be calling so late. "Pod: Does the number belong here? Should I respond?" He silently contemplated the question. 

"Dane, the call is from beyond the database. Our world isn't advanced enough for this. It's best if you don't answer the phone."  

The nutritious smoothie and breakfast boosted Dane's mental capacity by providing essential nutrition and hydration.

"Hey! Is that Dane?" 

"May I know who is inquiring?"

"I'm Dane, Dane." 

"Will you call again?" 

"Are you having a great time?" Want to know what it's like to be a man? You're a guy, after all! Do you agree? Why do you do something you don't like?"

Being the only Dane in my group, I wonder who else could be called Dane." 

Do not assume anything. Get ready for a significant change happening right before your eyes. Pay attention to me now.

"Why bother?""Dane asked. "But if that's true, can I ask for a small favour?"

Dane had a plant wrapped around his neck, making his coffee spill. He took two pills from a vine and used its nectar to help swallow them. 

"Do you share your thoughts with me?"

Dane demanded, "Delete my contact and stop bothering me!"

Dane, the initial caller, grew frustrated but stayed on the call despite the nonstop and erratic ramblings on the other end. 

"This person is incredible!" Dane thought. 

"I hope you don't go to work today. Sorry for your situation." The caller, Dane, seemed to know about it.

"Correct!" I received a warning, and I'm grateful for it. "Get lost and delete my number," Dane snapped before ending the call. As he hung up, Dane pondered the caller's motives and why they bothered reaching out. Unfazed, Dane went on his way to work.

Dane brushed off the caller's remarks and continued his day, ignoring the warning.

Dane walked to work, whistling despite the strange calls he had received earlier at home. He pondered who could have contacted him in a way his device couldn't identify. Who or what could it be? Why was it calling him?

After opening the bookstore, Dane's sales skyrocketed, keeping him busy with customer demands. Feeling exhausted, he briefly contemplated closing early to unwind at Club 22 with some drinks. 

The caller appeared in his mind. Dane wondered if he would contact him again. He looked forward to recording their next conversation on video. 

For some unknown reason, Dane expected another call by the end of the day. It lingered in his mind, like a sixth sense or intuition. Perhaps Dane expected a longer appeal with caution. 

A jazz enthusiast, Dane kept the bookstore open late to accommodate tired patrons who may hit the bookstore before heading to Club 22. Looking at the clock, he saw he had two hours before the Club started hopping. 

He stared at the clock, feeling as if time had frozen. His grandmother's proverb echoed in his thoughts, "A watched kettle never boils." 

He organized and cleared out unsold books to make space for new volumes, but a phone call interrupted him. 

Just as a customer entered the shop, Dane decided to speak with her. Dane kept the phone ringing to accommodate the customer's request, even though the answering machine could not take the message. 

Dane grew increasingly frustrated as the caller kept hanging up and calling without leaving a message. 

After the third call, Dane left the receiver on the counter without hanging it up again. He wanted to avoid any interruptions while he was with the elegant woman.

He assisted her in choosing books and brought them to the front. While processing her payment, he thanked her for choosing "Unconscious Bookstore." They chatted as he walked Marjorie to the door and mentioned, "I hope to see you again soon." Have a great evening! I'm heading to Club 22 after I close in approximately ten minutes."

"That's great!" "I really hope so, too!" Marjorie exclaimed, grinning widely.

After placing the phone on the receiver, Dane quickly stepped back as it started ringing. Without hesitation, he went to the back and secured the doors from inside. 

Due to elevated blood pressure, Dane's pod alerted his wristband to sit down. He quickly finished his tasks as the band's opening song played.

Dane picked up the phone. 

"I'm Dane from Unconscious Bookstore. How can I help you?" Dane would suffer consequences for answering the phone after reconnecting the receiver, which was a big mistake.

"Dane, why aren't you in bed today? What happened?" Were you intentionally trying to provoke me?" 

"What?" Who are you?" 

"What's the matter? Did the conversation revolve around you this morning? I've already given an introduction. Can't you remember what I said earlier today?"

"If this is you, other Dane. I already told you to leave me alone and delete my number. Why are you still contacting me? Do you not understand what 'leave me alone' means?"

"Dane, I trust your intelligence. Yes, I do. I am you in a different realm. Hang up, lock the door, and go home now. Got it?"

"Yes, goodbye."

"Who does this guy think he is, trying to dictate what I should do in my reality? When will our paths ever cross? Dane confidently declares, 'I'm going to Club 22 for a drink and some fun with a woman named Marjorie.'"

Is the register locked? Dane quickly double-checked, making sure everything was secure. He pulled down the blind on the front window, effectively closing off the company's interior from the street. With the main door locked, Dane confidently crossed the street and entered Club 22.

He went to the bar and ordered a double gin with soda water and lime. Trombone Shorty, a talented musician, was part of the brass group that played his songs all week. 

A diverse crowd was already enjoying the music, fully immersed in the first set. Dane watched as people mingled and chatted while his favourite jazz band played live. 

Dane and his friends mixed with others in formal attire. The women showed off their trendy outfits in pastels and bright pink. Despite having four bartenders, customers at the pub always waited three minutes for service.

Marjorie waited 10 minutes for a drink before joining Dane and making the first romantic moves. 

At first, they talked about a writer and books. But soon, the conversation became more personal. He got her a drink and ordered a shot for himself. Then, they started discussing something more intimate.

They kissed and touched affectionately, then engaged in passionate necking. After a few more drinks, Dane eagerly embraced her with fiery and tender kisses, and she eagerly reciprocated.

They discreetly touched each other while kissing, seizing moments when they wouldn't draw too much notice. They left the bar together, filled with passion. 

As they were about to cross the street, Marjorie suddenly realized she had forgotten her books at the club. Oops! She chuckled nervously and looked concerned. 

"Sorry." I'll bring the books and meet you in your car. Continue. You said you were very close. I'll locate you upon my emergence. Which way?" 

"Thanks, Dane." "I'll be there," she gestured left, "waiting for you. She smiled at him, making him feel genuinely aroused and trustworthy. He considered inviting her back to his apartment. 

Perhaps it doesn't match her preferences. If so, he would need to pause and think. Dane, oh dear. Pause and think for a moment! The loud noise in the club and the drink added to the experience. Finding the books took some time, but he got them. 

He quickly grabbed the books and hurried onto the street, briefly looking in both directions. Marjorie consumed his thoughts, and time dragged on after that.

The blinding glare of headlights left him unable to continue walking or do anything else.

He heard an engine. Little did he know, Marjorie was driving, determined to find him. He had to avoid her. Lying on the ground, confusion consumed him. 

Marjorie's car hit him, causing a broken leg and multiple rib fractures. He felt instant and unbearable pain. Marjorie stopped the car and got out. Dane tried to hold onto the bag of books that kept blowing in the wind.

Marjorie admitted she was the other Dane, and the man scolded the injured Dane. "Not listening to my advice about staying in bed from a parallel universe might make you regret it now, but that's what happened. Today wasn't the day to get out of bed. Do you agree?"

"Right."

Hopefully, this experience taught you a lesson: don't mess with me when I contact you from another dimension. Please follow my instructions, Dane. Do you get it? Luckily, this is the only thing that happened to you this time.

"Alright!"Dane nodded silently. 

"Dane, be ready for my calls and listen carefully to what I say. This phone call is more important than I've made it out to be. See you later, Dane. I'm sorry for using force, but I had to take drastic action to get your attention.

He left Dane on the pavement and quickly drove back to the car, heading straight to Club 22.

Just as he was about to hit the wall, a mysterious opening appeared. It was a doorway to another dimension. How did this happen?

Dane's view was engulfed in darkness. Unable to communicate, no one could be notified of the events. 

Dane was certain that no one would believe him because he couldn't see the driver or the type of car. 

Despite his injuries, the phone's sound made him grimace. It was important to figure out when the other Dane called and when to answer.

When the caller's number couldn't be traced, he'd activate the pod to get notified and purposely ignore the call. 

Dane was fixated on reaching the other galaxy and overpowering his counterpart quickly. Clearly, Dane came from a distant galaxy, and there must be a way to get there. 

He swiftly pursued Dane, not wasting a moment. The pieces were neatly arranged in the wall opening to Club 22. Did it resemble Toon Town? Dane's intelligence enabled him to solve problems, ideally before the other Dane returned.  

Dane considered the possible effect on him but stayed composed. He questioned if the other Dane could read his mind. Despite knowing it was pointless, he tried to hide his thoughts. 

He prepared to face the other Dane. What did the other Dane hope to gain?

Despite the late hour, sleep eluded him due to the nagging question, "Why now?""Why did the other Dane visit now?" 

In December, Dane woke up early to read the newspaper and have breakfast before work.

After getting injured, he gave up drugs and alcohol and started exercising regularly. He became quite a hit with the ladies. 

Dane avoided dating and was cautious. He always walked to his dates instead of accepting rides. The thought of encountering the other Dane filled him with fear. It had a big impact on him.

It was like a terrifying dream. He was awake in his pod. He got a call. He grabbed it before the pod could say it was an untraceable number.

He received a call from someone named Dane, who introduced themselves as Dane. 

Dane straightened his posture and widened his eyes. He wanted to talk to Dane and let the pod determine how close the other Dane was to him. 

"Hello, Dane!" How are you? I waited for your call recently. What's the matter? It's been two seasons since you last called. Have you been trying out different versions of yourself?" 

"I did it, even though it doesn't matter to you." How did you discover it? Did you let go of me when I entered?" 

"No, I'm happy where I am." I'd hesitate to switch positions with you. You're constantly adapting due to your busy schedule. It's sad. Wow, it's really mind-blowing."

"Wait, Dane. Did I contact you? Can you recall?"

"How does that relate to your unfortunate existence? I've never encountered a more challenging life than yours."

"Seriously," Dane said, ending the day. 

"Wow, your belief that this person is the most unpleasant must make life challenging for me!"

"Dane, come witness my vibrant life instead of overthinking my various identities." 

"I'll definitely do it. Dane, I'll talk to you soon." 

"That's great! I'm excited. I'll get the guest room ready."

Dane smiled widely after ending the call. His idea was a success.

The other Dane eagerly embraced it, displaying his self-centeredness. Dane was thrilled.

March 24, 2024 18:24

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Mary Bendickson
21:04 Mar 24, 2024

It's all Dane to me.😜

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.