0 comments

Fantasy

The storm was fierce, rainfall battering down against the concrete like war drums, wind howling through the night air as if being ridden by unseen wraiths.

Of course this was Seattle.

Emily had, by her count, been taking refuge under the bridge for well over an hour, the dank concrete den proving to be a spot of good reprieve from the raging tempest outside.

It was Friday night, which meant movie night at the Creek Mall, followed of course by a healthy helping of pizza afterwards at the food court. She had met Lucas and Chester earlier at the the grocery store across the street, each of them buying their choice of snack and fitting as much of it as they could under their clothing. After bickering about which movie to see, they settled on "The Bourne Ultimatum" (which Chester had wanted to see opening day, but his parents instead opted to see "Becoming Jane", much to Chester's dismay). Later, after the movie ended and they had eaten their fill of pizza, Lucas's mom, who had dropped them off, came to pick him up. A little after that, Chester's older brother came to get him. Chester's brother had asked Emily if she needed a ride, Emily replying no, her parents were coming to get her. The car drove off, Chester leaning out the window and giving a hearty wave as he departed, Emily returning it.

Emily's parents, Todd and Rachel, had been going through a rough spot. Though she was only twelve, she had noticed a growing friction between the two. The type that makes even something as mundane as dinner at home stressful, tension sucking away the oxygen. This may be why they recommended they grab something to eat out later, after Emily had completed her Friday night ritual. Emily loitered around in the mall for awhile, going to the yogurt shop then browsing the comic book store. Eventually, one by one, all the shops closed, the mall itself soon closing afterwards. Emily loitered around outside in the front of the mall for a bit, before security came and asked her if she was all right. Emily replied yes, walking to a nearby park. A few moments later, the clouds rumbled and the storm began, Emily taking shelter under a nearby bridge.

Emily had called her parents multiple times, Todd four times, and Rachel three. Nothing. As she watched the stream of cars passing the underpass, a blur of movement and neon, she pondered calling Chester and asking for a ride. She didn't want to though, the possible shame dismissing the the notion. This wouldn't be the first time her parents had done something like this, and Chester or Lucas would receive a phone call or message from her.

As she watched the cars drive by, her coat finally giving in to the cold and Emily beginning to shiver, she noticed a pair of eyes staring at her from the bushes across the street. Emily's brows furrowed as she tried to identify what the eyes belonged to. It's pupils looked like that of a cat, the iris yellow, almost sun yellow, and the oval pupils space black. It stared directly at her, and only her.

The eyes disappeared, retreating back into the bushes. Emily crept forward, close to the edge of the underpass. Behind the bushes and shrubs sat a forest, the creature going into it, Emily not seeing it but noticing the rustling of bushes. A moment later, it emerged out of a bush in full view for Emily to see, her breath being snatched away from her.

The creature appeared similar to a big cat, almost like a lynx. Except, on its head extended two, twisting horns like that of a ram. From its shoulders stretched two, snow white wings, appearing similar to that of a dove. It turned its head, looking at Emily for a brief moment before leaping into the forest.

"W-wait", Emily yelled, running across the street.

Emily ran past sharp branches and prying thorns, tearing away at her jacket. She ran, and ran, and ran, far from the edge of the forest, descending into the thick of the woods and of the wilderness. She ran until she tripped over a pine cone, stumbling down a small hill and hitting her head on a rock.

After a few moments, Emily slowly blinked her eyes open, her hair wetted down by the rain. She felt...relatively fine actually. The creature had come back into view, standing under a Douglas fir tree, its wings outstretched. Up close, she could see the full scope of its size, more akin to that of a large wolf. The creature slowly approached her, Emily taking a sharp breath and crawling back.

"W-what are you?", Emily asked, more so from genuine curiosity than fear.

The creature continued to steadily approach , now no more than a few feet between it and Emily. Emily could now see its eyes more clearly, a certain warmth in them. The creature circled Emily, then slowly walked away. It turned to look at Emily before continuing its descent into the forest. Emily felt that it wanted her to follow, so she did. She did wonder if perhaps Todd and Rachel had arrived and were waiting for her, but this was well worth it she thought. To return with a tale such as this.

They walked, and walked, and walked, Emily at first keeping a distance between her and the creature, but eventually walking side by side. It moved with precision , not turning its head once, not even to look at Emily.

As they continued to walk, the woods almost appeared to become larger, and stranger. Emily had hiked here with Todd years ago, and didn't remember it being this large, and wild. The trees became taller as they progressed, some stretching so far the top remained out of sight. The trees were older too, more ancient. The bark was old and worn, the trunk of the trees larger, roots digging deep into the earth.

Emily began to think about Todd and Rachel again, wondering if they might be worried. She stopped, the creature continuing for a moment more before stopping, turning around and looking at Emily.

"I'm sorry, but I can't go any further. My parents, they're probably waiting for me. You probably don't even understand what I'm saying, but it was nice meeting you...whatever you are."

Emily smiled at the creature, before turning around an heading back through the forest.

"I am a guide", a gentle voice said.

Emily froze, her eyes widening. She turned around, the creature still standing where it was.

"W-was that you?", she asked.

The creature stands still, staring at Emily. Silence, save for the sound of the rain which had now lightened, gently falling on the forest floor. The creature turned around, resuming its course.

"Come", she heard the voice say.

Emily followed, not sure what else to do, and believing that the voice was that of the creature. As they traversed the forest, its strangeness deepened. The trees grew taller, and their shape more crooked. A fog now began to fill the forest. The creature walked to a swamp, Emily following. A large tree covered in moss hung crocked over the swamp, the surface of the swamp covered in a light layer of algae and fungi. The water slightly rippled, the vague outline of something large moving underneath. Emily took a sharp breath, stepping back.

"Don't be afraid", the voice said. "Gaze into the water."

Emily trepidly approached the swamp, looking into its murky depths. Her mind, and very being was almost pulled in, though her body remained on the ground.

Emily was waiting under the bridge, watching the stream of cars pass and waiting for the old, blue Subaru Forester that she knew and loved. Finally, after what seemed like an eternity, she saw it, the car pulling over to the side. Emily ran to the car and got in.

"Oh my God Emily, I'm so sorry sweetie", Rachel said.

"Its fine", Emily replied, not really meaning it.

"Do you want my jacket", Todd asked, turning around. "That one looks wet."

"Um, no, I'm fine."

Todd looked at Emily a moment, smiling, before returning to the road, the storm still raging and the wipers fighting to keep the windshield clear.

"She wouldn't need a jacket if you got here on time", Rachel said.

Todd sighed.

"That's not fair", Todd replied.

Rachel chuckled. Emily's face lowered as she sank into her seat, wishing to disappear.

"Funny, coming from you of all people", Rachel said.

“What's that supposed to mean?", Todd replied.

"Forget it. Emily’s obviously soaked and cold, would you give her your jacket?”

"I just-never mind", Todd said, taking off his jacket.

Through the haze of the thundering rain and raging winds, two bright lights emerged, a loud bellow accompanying it.

"Todd", Rachel screamed, her eyes wide with terror as a truck speeded towards the car, crashing into them.

Emily stared at the murky swamp, her reflection now bloodied. She fell to her knees, trying to breath but unable to find the air.

"I-no, this isn’t right”, she said, her voice breaking.

The creature walked to Emily.

"It may not be right, but it is what is."

"No, I'm going back to my family”, Emily shouted, wiping the snot from her nose and getting up. “You’re a demon.”

When Emily turned, she found the murky and overgrown forest no more, only a vast swamp, the edge of it afar off and hidden by the fog.

The creature approached Emily.

"I am not a demon, such things do not exist. I am only a guide."

"To where? The afterlife? What about mom and dad? Are they dead too? Will I see them again?"

"I know not. For such things are mysteries, even to me."

Emily fell to the ground once more, feeling as if her entire being had become undone. She wept, and wept, and wept. She wept until the swamp had grown, creeping over what little of the land remained.

"We must go. The void is ever growing, and should you touch it you shall be consumed."

"Good. I want to be consumed", Emily said, sniffing.

"To be consumed is to be annihilated", the creature said. "Bereft of being and of self."

"Good", Emily replied.

The creature approached Emily, now only but a few inches from her as he observed her.

"...if you wish, that is permissible. To choose oblivion. But I would advise against it, though I know my vote matters not in these matters."

"For what?", Emily replied, wailing. "I may not even see my parents again. I don't want to continue living, or whatever it is over there. I never even lived. I'm only twelve. What kind of a life is that? It's not fair. I didn't do anything."

The creature put its face to Emily's, rubbing against it.

"You didn't do anything to deserve this, that is correct. It's not about deserve though, things just happen. Sometimes good, and sometimes bad. The die is and forever will be cast, but the hand of person throwing it, and the person to whom the hand belongs do not exist. Alas, another mystery."

The creature backed away, Emily sniffing and wiping her eyes.

"Earlier", the creature said. "You said you waned to return with a tale such as this."

"T-that was in my head. You heard that?"

"Speech is for things with flesh, and we are not flesh", the creature responded. "But you still can, Emily. Return with such a tale as this. I know know not what lies beyond the void, for I am of it, and only here am I allowed to be. But you know not as well. Your parents could be there, family and friends you've thought long gone, strangers, whom had they lived today, would have considered you the dearest of friends. You could travel across the void, and tell them this tale you have lived."

Emily sniffed. After a moment, she stood up.

"Okay", she replied. "I'll go."

The creature turned around.

"Get on my back, and lie forward as we travel. The void is full of ancient and dangerous things, to whom even the abyss has forgotten."

Emily nodded, getting on the creatures back and lying on her stomach, wrapping her hands around his horns. The last of the land was swallowed by the endless swamp, and the creature swum straight ahead, into the abyss, and into that great mystery that awaits all men.

October 18, 2023 21:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.