4 comments

Adventure Contemporary Fiction

It was a damp, misty evening in Budapest when a group of strangers gathered at a discreet tram stop near the banks of the Danube. The tour was billed as "The Ghost Tram," a ride through the city's lesser-known haunted locales. Most of the group had signed up out of curiosity, drawn by the strange allure of the city's dark history, while others hoped for a thrill or perhaps even a brush with the supernatural.


The tram itself was ancient, a relic from a bygone era, marked as *Tram No. 19*. Its faded red paint was peeling from the wooden panels, and its brass fittings had long tarnished, giving the vehicle a ghostly, spectral presence. As the passengers boarded, they exchanged nervous glances but said little, unsure of what to expect.


The guide, a tall man in a long coat, introduced himself as Márton. His voice was deep and melodious, and he spoke with an air of mystery that immediately captivated his audience.


"Üdvözlöm, welcome to the Ghost Tram," he began, his eyes scanning the group. "Tonight, we will visit places where the past lingers, where the veil between our world and the next is thin. Some of you may feel things, see things, or even hear suttogások (whispers) of those long gone. But do not be afraid—this is a journey into history, not a horror show."


The group consisted of a diverse bunch. There was George and Evelyn, an elderly couple from England who had been visiting Budapest to celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary. They were quiet and reserved, holding hands tightly as they boarded. Sitting across from them were Amanda and Rachel, college students from the United States, excited but nervous, clutching their phones as if seeking comfort from the glowing screens. Katalin, a middle-aged Hungarian woman with a somber expression, sat near the back, her eyes occasionally drifting out the window as if lost in thought. Next to her was István, a local man in his late forties with a skeptical smirk, seemingly unimpressed by the idea of a "ghost tour." And finally, there was Anna, a young girl with striking green eyes who seemed much too calm for such a tour, her expression serene and almost knowing.


As it creaked into motion, the mist outside the tram thickened, shrouding the city in an ethereal glow. The streets of Budapest, normally bustling with life, appeared desolate, the shadows of the buildings stretching out like dark fingers. The tram's lights flickered as it trundled along, and the air inside grew colder with every passing minute.


Their first stop was an old, abandoned opera house. Márton recounted the tale of a celebrated énekesnő, singer, who had perished tragically on stage many years ago. "Néhányan azt mondják (Some say)," Márton continued, "her voice can still be heard on quiet nights, echoing through the decaying halls." As the group peered out through the windows of the tram, they could almost hear a faint, haunting melody carried by the wind.


The next destination was an ancient cemetery, overgrown with ivy and moss. Márton spoke of a legend that claimed those buried there were nyugtalan, restless, cursed to wander the earth as spirits. The tram stopped, and the group was invited to step out and walk among the sírkövek (tombstones). As they did, the temperature seemed to drop even further, and several passengers swore they felt the brush of unseen hands on their shoulders.


When the group returned to the tram, there was a noticeable shift in the atmosphere. István was no longer smirking, George and Evelyn held hands even tighter, and Amanda and Rachel whispered nervously. But Anna remained unchanged, her expression serene and almost knowing.


As the tour progressed, Márton told stories of ghostly katonák (soldiers) of lovers lost to time, and of the unsolved rejtélyek (mysteries) that still haunted the city's dark corners. Each stop added to the growing tension within the tram, but no one spoke of turning back. The ride felt like it was no longer just a tour, but a journey into the unknown.


Finally, they arrived at the last stop: Szabadság híd, or Liberty Bridge, which spanned the Danube. Márton spoke of a legend that claimed the bridge was átkozott, cursed, that those who crossed it at éjfél (midnight) risked being taken by the river, their souls trapped beneath the waters forever. The tram halted in the middle of the bridge, and the group was left in silence, the only sound being the faint lapping of the víz (water) below.


Márton stepped out and beckoned the group to follow. One by one, they disembarked, their feet heavy with trepidation. The fog had thickened, enveloping the bridge and the tram in a dense, almost impenetrable shroud.


As they stood on Szabadság híd, Anna walked to the edge and looked out over the water. The others watched her in silence, sensing something they couldn't quite explain. Then, with a calmness that seemed out of place, she turned to them and said, "Ez az, ahol véget ér—This is where it ends."


Before anyone could react, the tram's lights flickered one last time, and the mist seemed to swirl around them, thickening until it was impossible to see even a few feet ahead. The group felt a strange sensation, as if the world was shifting beneath their feet. And then, just as suddenly as it had come, the mist began to clear.


The group found themselves back at the original tram stop, the city around them now alive with the bustle of nightlife. *Tram No. 19* was nowhere to be seen. Márton had vanished as well.


The passengers exchanged bewildered looks, unsure of what had just happened. Anna was gone, her presence lingering like a faint echo in their minds. They had been gone for hours, but no time seemed to have passed at all.


As they dispersed, returning to their lives, each of them was left with a lingering sense of unease. Had it all been a dream, a strange hallucination brought on by the köd (fog)? Or had they truly crossed into another world, if only for a moment?


None of them could say for sure. But one thing was certain: they would never forget the night they rode the Ghost Tram of Budapest.

August 27, 2024 16:13

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

05:48 Sep 05, 2024

I really liked the eerie atmosphere you created with the Ghost Tram of Budapest. The suspense kept me hooked, and the mysterious ending was a great touch!

Reply

Vera N
05:57 Sep 05, 2024

Thanks for your comment. I'm glad you enjoyed it:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kota Iyīn
21:16 Sep 04, 2024

Great description, you really know how to create a setting in the reader's mind

Reply

Vera N
18:04 Sep 05, 2024

So glad it got you hooked :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.