0 comments

African American Contemporary Funny

Angela was given the task of making a grilled cheese sandwich. She knew this had to be the best sandwich she ever made to be called the world's best.

She entered the kitchen and all she could think of was making the best-grilled cheese sandwich ever. Firstly, she thought I need butter. Then comes cheese and bread. I'll need a nonstick pan also.

She approached the stove thinking of the best cheese sandwich you ever ate. Angela knew she couldn't get the skillet too hot. So she turned the flame to medium underneath the skillet Waiting until it the skillet was just hot enough, she put in two tablespoons of butter Watching it melt and careful not to let the butter turn brown she put in two slices of bread. Saturating the bread with butter on both sides, she flipped the buttered side to the bottom of the skillet. Placing the cheese carefully between one slice, she placed the other slice atop of the cheese and browned the slices,

Angela was sure this was the best sandwich ever.

Now for the judging, she placed the cheese sandwich on a plate and took it n to her Grandpa. He bit into the sandwich and exclaimed ," I knew you could do it." This is the world's best grill cheese sandwich.

Grandpa asked to you can make a sandwich this good for the contest in a month. You must continue to make the sandwiches until you're absolutely sure it cannot be perfected.

Each day Angela would find a new person to make the sandwich for She made one for her Father and he said its good but is it the best? Can you think of something to add? Angela said but it"s grilled cheese. No meat, no vegetables . Just a gilled cheese sandwich Her father said okay Make me another one tomorrow. Then we can compare the two.

The next day she made him another sandwich, careful to get the steps just right Her father told her ,this is surely a contender. You must continue to make your sandwich . "PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT". Angela knew practice was important She knew that tomorrow she should make another sandwich She went bed and dreamed of making grilled cheese sandwiches.

The next day she decided she would make the sandwich for her g

Grandmas. She went into the kitchen and discovered

, that there was no more cheese. What would she do? Her Grandmas' were expecting nice warm grill cheese sandwiches She had to think fast They would be there soon expecting to sample the sandwiches. She looked up as her Mother was coming through the door. That's it . Tell Mother. She would surely know what to do. She rushed to her mother and told her the problem. Mother looked at her and smiled. 'Simple' We go to the store and get more.

Angela said we must go right now . They are coming at 11:00am and I don't have any cheese. Mother assured her there is plenty of time. The two of them could go to the store and come back in time to make the sandwiches .They were indeed back from the store in time to prepare to make the sandwiches

Angela had another problem today. She had never made the sandwich in duplicate .She needed a bigger skillet. She needed more butter and bread and cheese. Would they think , this is the best-grilled cheese sandwich in the world?

Angela took her time. Adjusting the flame underneath a bigger skillet. This time she used two tablespoons of butter, four slices of bread and then the cheese She browned the bread very carefully ,then placing the cheese on.

When she was done , she placed the sandwiches on separate plates and took them in to the two grandmas.

They looked pleased but how did the sandwiches taste?

It was like magic .They both agreed the sandwiches were the best they'd ever eaten . They told Angela she was sure to win the contest.

Angela felt really happy .they liked the sandwiches.

On the day of the contest, Angela arose early. She went downstairs to find her mother and father in the kitchen drinking coffee. She explained to them how happy she'd been making the sandwiches for everyone. She said if they felt her Grilled Cheese Sandwiches were the best 'she didn't need a contest She had the best Judges in the world

Mother told her she was sure that Grandpa and the Grandmas 'liked the sandwiches but didn't she want to continue to the contest. Everyone was depending on it Angela didn't budge she was sure . Mother was upset. iT'S THE DAY OF THE CONTEST AND a

ANGELA WANTED TO BACK OUT, Mother needed to discuss this with someone. How could Angela back out of the contest .She called her parents Her father picked up. Mother sounding distraught , explained what was going on Her Father , Angela's grandpa explained it's just a case of nerves He said he was sure she would be alright once the contest started mother agreed.

Coming back from their walk around the block Angela's father had explained the value of following through to the end. He told her it is natural to get nervous and that if her grilled cheese sandwich was as good as his ,she would be a winner. Angela agreed.

The judges were impressed, Angela came in second in the Best Grilled Cheese Sandwich Contest .She wore her blue ribbon proudly and thought , what can I buy with the Fifty Dollar prize money?

Angela decided with her prize money she would buy more bread, cheese and butter and anytime someone asked her she would make them a grilled cheese sandwich. Always careful to put in the care and thoughtfulness that all knew she possessed.

Angela thought for sure she was a special girl and a good cook She was sure that her parents and grandparents loved her and would support her when the next cooking contest came along . She was sure to try

THE END

September 09, 2022 12:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.