0 comments

Drama Science Fiction Historical Fiction

I never forget that day. 

In the news, the red line with "breaking news" written on it.

"WWIII official", I bet someone had expected that to happen. The rich countries were depending on making wars in the poor regions, pretended to help them in their solutions to the problems, just to make those countries hopeless, and in depended. One doesn't need to take a country by force and make colonies, this just brings the worse and nobody would fall into that kind of violence. Instead, they made a group or organization from the people itself and leashed them to destroy the area, after that all the rich government country have to do was just to give them helping hand. 

All the crap about civilization was just a cover. Like my mother used to say, "Work smart not hard". I'm glad she was dead before all of this happened.   

 All the lies vanished and appeared to the surface when the people of those countries gathered around themselves and declared a war against those filthy riches.

And now, for us the people of those filthy rich countries getting punished by our governments sins. Several nuclear warheads had been dropped in different locations around the worlds. You know the proverb " the need make miracles" well, the poor countries didn't have warheads but their heads turned to be functioning better than our heads which was full of garbage and pink dreams. They fought with their minds. Cracking the computers, hacking the system, making a cyber network, thousand of technologic minds gathered to stop the breath of rich countries. And all we had was girls dancing naked in tictok.

Nothing had left for us. Old days, when we used to mock on the poor countries people had gone. When we used to humiliated them because they just meant to born in those poor helpless countries. How we pretended to help them but matter of facts, we used them to gain fame and money. How we used their need of money to let them work until their backbones crashed. Those days had gone.

 After the hacked nuclear warheads launched and stroke our countries, dark time finally reached to us. Disease, poverty, chaos… and all of those acts of savages that we laughed about and told ourselves that we are more superior to do such things, now it's happening.

I was 20 years old when all of this stared. Back then, I was an arrogant, ignorant, selfish and jerk white man who lived in wealthy country and complained about everything was in my hand. I complained about food, transportation, jobs, taxes, internet connection, my old phone, old car, old house, my wife, my kids, my parents, my dog, neighbor's dog and many other things you can count. 

And now, I'm sitting under a half fallen bridge, taking shelter from heavy black rain, the same rain which rained in Hiroshima. It never stopped raining from that day. My left hand fingers had been stiffen for while, and my skin is like the scalp of fish. The light blue shirt father gave to me in my first day of job and I commented I hate blue in front of my father, is all I have to keep me warm and decent. My black suit pants were tore from the knees. I was saying how society made people look alike robots with those damn suits. My hair is fallen now and there are just a few hairs on top of my head. I used to make different haircuts whenever a new fashionable haircut is trending. 

I don't have smart phone nor an button phone now. I keep thinking It should be named stupid phones instead of smart, all it had done to our brain was making us lazy, narcissus, assholes, selfish and in depended people. If I had been learning life skills I wouldn't be here starving or freezing to death. I could use the time I spend watching stupid people talking about their perfect life, or doing dumb thing just to be fame, to learn a god damn one skill! Well, what the use of words now. 

Wealthy countries now are doomed, the poor countries had been better without us. They have retuned to their mother nature. They grew the land back, green and refreshing. The technology stuff were used less and less. From what I heard, they used just the essential things like transport or communication without the brainwashing apps and social media. The focus is now on the land and they seemed to have done well. I talked to a man who managed to get himself to work in one of the countries. He said "it was heaven, I never seen something like that before. All I remembered from our lost homes were the tall buildings and shiny cars, but that was different. You can't get hungry because the whole land is planted. You can get a whole basket of mangos everyday from the roads. And they are good." He was sent back here after he tried to force a woman to have his baby. It is the only way; they let you stay in their lands. When one gets there, two years is the maximum length for staying in the lands after that, you have to pay a double what you have paid for first entry. Marriage is difficult and mostly impossible because women will not marry a filthy barbarian foreigner. They taught and believed nothing good will come from people who once tortured their ancestors with their lies.

When I asked him how their women looked like, he put a satisfied smile and said, "They were gorgeous. Not just outside but inside too. I had very rough time not to look at them." He was looking at distance let his brain show him a dream far away from his reach. 

The men also had a share of that charm. And not just good looking, they were men in their core. Strong, smart, reliable, hardworking and what made the women wants to marry their land's men is, they treat them like queens. Every boy from young age taught that if they hit or harassed any girl they would get their hands cut and banned to our doomed counters. And the girls taught to respect and love their husbands when they are good to them. 

"They were kind to me" the man said. "It was me who ruined everything, if just I had appreciated what they gave me. nice meal every day, a comfy bed, a roof I wouldn't do such a stupid thing" he cried and that crying ripped my heart.   

I was jealous. I want to see the heaven lands. How it turned. Gosh, if I just have some money to go there and have a better life. But I'm stuck in this burnt land. Nothing is good here. The water taste like vinegar, if you lucky and find a fish it would be as small as your average women's finger, you do not get to have food very day, no greens here, this is a dead land.

I have lost my wife after the attack. Her skin fell off like the snakeskin, she bleed to death. My children burned and left their ashes on the back yard. I couldn't reached my father he was in another city but from the news I heard, no one survived from that city, the area turned to black aches.

And I think it is my turn. After ten years of living in this shitty land I am glad could leave this place. I have been coughing a lot lately; a thick black blood would came out whenever I cough. It is the C.L disease, aka "Curse land disease"; it was named this because it affects those who live here.

I'm john Noonan by the way, I wanted to write this down so in case we could have manage to take back our glory, the generation wouldn't do the same mistakes we had. 

We should know our limits in everything. The stupid people who complain about everything even their body the universe gave it to them are same as those who thinks they own the entire world. The danger is in the minds that messed up everything and let the evil spread in the mask of good. 

I don't feel this is going to make any deference for our future, after all humans will never change. They will do what we have done and they will let generations suffer from it all over again. 

I just want one thing before I leave; I want a fresh cold water. I miss it so much.   

February 12, 2021 06:11

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.