3 comments

Adventure

The day began with the sun peeking out over the horizon of the sparkling bay waters. A soft breeze floated gently over the waters, as the tide began to come in. Billowy clouds were scattered through out the morning sky, moving westerly and changing shapes as they were caught in the higher winds.

The young girl scouts ran across the island to try to be the first one to enter the doors of the sleepover destination. Excitement and enthusiasm surrounded them as they carried their overnight backpacks across the rocky and shell filled grounds. Sitting quietly and stoically on the knoll built upon the bedrock at the bottom of the sea, the brick and mortar lighthouse greeted them with its towering height of 156 feet. Captain Charlie, a weathered old sea chap, had shuttled them across the pristine bay to the tiny island, home of the 100 year old lighthouse. Charlie had been watching the weather and although the forecast called for some rain and wind, it had not developed severely enough for the overnight to be canceled. Still, he was leary and chatted with the leaders about his concerns. The troop leaders had also been watching and felt they were far from anything that could be harmful to the girls. Their years of experience in the outdoors had brought many scary and frightful situations, and they felt they could handle whatever came their way. The 2 leaders grew up on the coast and were comfortable around the water.

Willie Phillips, the keeper of the lighthouse, had been waiting anxiously for their arrival. Visitors did not come that often to the lighthouse and he enjoys sharing his love of his job with anyone willing to listen. He opened the heavy, red door and gave a booming welcome to the bubbly group of 5 girls and their trusty leaders. He donned his woolen blue cap with a chin strap and double-breasted weather resistant coat with 5 buttons on each side. The first one was quite close to the top collar. "I must be ready for any type of weather", he informed the girls after they looked at him curiously. Just as he was shaking the hands of the leaders a gusty wind blew across the seaside landscape and took some of the girls hats off their heads! Giggling and laughing, the girls ran after the air borne hats and regrouped. Willie tugged at his chin strap and laughed along with the girls. He explained to them that the wind is a funny thing. It can come creeping out of nowhere and whip around the lighthouse. He said it was a way of welcoming visitors to the wonders of the island and the guardian of the ships.

After Willie showed the group where they would be sleeping at the lighthouse keeper's cottage, he gathered them together to give them some history of the lighthouse. The young girls were more interested in climbing the spiral stairs that wind around and around to reach the top. They fidgeted about as Willie tried to keep their attention. He finally succumbed and informed the troop that he would take them up the 105 steps. Shouts of glee filled the air. They began the trek up. As they were going, Willie explained that the lighthouse was built with 2 walls of solid brick, like 2 cones inside of each other. Landings were varied throughout the climb with openings to peek out. The stairs are built of cast iron he explained, around a central iron column. At each landing the wind, with a bit of force, blew in some salty air and gave shivers to some of the girls. Willie explained that the water temperature was very cold and the wind picks up that temperature as it travels across. So crazy as it cannot be seen doing this. When they reached the deck at the top, Willie opened yet another heavy door and told the group to be sure to hang onto the railings. A much stronger wind hit them as they circled around the summit and took in the amazing view. Willie took note that the clouds were darkening and the distant waters danced with white caps. He raised his eyebrows toward the leaders, trying not to alarm the youngsters, but fully relating his concerns of the weather forming. As the tide approached, the shore became a visual wonder with the waves ebbing in and out, reaching further onto the rocky edges. The waves left treasures of shells, glass tossed in the sand and curious other objects that got trapped in the waters.

Up on the deck of the lighthouse, the girl scouts were giggling as they tried to talk to each other while their hair constantly was whipped around and getting stuck to their lips and in their mouths. As the winds picked up, the leaders made the decision that it was time to descend to the lower level. While they were descending, they told the girls that they were going to go on a natural treasure hunt along the island's shore. This was one of their activities to earn another badge for their sashes.

Once again outside, the leaders took note of the darkening sky and the wind picking up. They told the girls to stay with their buddy and close together as they went on their scavenger hunt. During the time that they had spent in the lighthouse, the tide had come in and the shore had disappeared under the crashing waves. Any treasure that was on the beach was now under the gray waters buried in the sand to be discovered another day. When the girls saw this, disappointment stretched across their faces as they looked to the leaders. Just then a spray of water from a larger wave splashed upon them making them screech and turn to higher ground. The raindrops started falling and the wind blew more water off the waves. The scouts started running around laughing, not sure whether to be scared or just prance about. Willie came out of the lighthouse and in his gentle, yet booming voice told everyone that it was time to get to the cottage. The storm was moving faster than predicted and the waves were pounding the shoreline. The air filled with the taste of salty, briny sprinkles mixed with large drops of rain. A large gust of wind whipped around the lighthouse and pushed against the young troopers. They had to dip their heads down and lean into it. They felt their clothing cling to their limbs as they pushed forward to the cottage. They held tight to each other's hands and stepped carefully on hte wet rocks and water filled pathway. Just as they thought the wind had eased, another gust came rushing around. Screams and shouts were prevalent as the girls tugged each other in an effort to get to the cottage. What seemed like an hour was a mere 5 minutes of wet and howling winds slapping them in their faces. The waves were growing exponentially as if chasing them and nipping their ankles. The leaders were standing firmly with their legs widespread helping the youngsters as they tried to move along the disappearing shoreline. What earlier was beautiful rolling sea of gentle waves, now was an angry monster where the waves were tumbling and rolling over each other topped with a dense foam that was under the control of the blustery wind.

Willie ran out to the last little one and grabbed her just as a mighty wind frantically tried to topple her over. The spray off the ocean was so strong that visibility was shrinking. The girls started to panic as they lost the site of the cottage. "Stay close", shouted Willie. They were just a few meters from the cottage. Now dripping wet and feeling scared and chilly, the girls started to cry. Behind them they heard the loud boom of the forceful waves crashing against the lighthouse itself. The water circled around it as if trying to engulf it. The wind howled around and around blowing water in circles that got larger and larger, frightening the entire troop. Willie finally pushed open the stubborn cottage door and they all tumbled in. The battery-operated generator was engaged as the power had been lost with the force of the wind slamming the cottage. Exhausted from the whole ordeal, the girls flopped onto the wooden floor, expressing how nervous they were that the wind would pop open the windows, or worse, blow them in. Willie assured them that the cottage was a safe haven, and the windows were hurricane tough. The leaders encouraged the girls to go get changed out of their wet clothes. Still scared and nervous, they did so and then huddled together worried about the storm and what it could do. The wind was bewitching outside, causing strange noises against the cottage. Relentless streams of loud blasts of rain pelted the windows rattling the frames. Some of the girls nervously, yet curiously peeked out the window toward the lighthouse. They could see the revolving light from the prisms at the top flashing on and off. Willie told them that this was to warn ships and the captains that they were near rocky shores. It is used as a beacon to guide them along to safer harbors. The roaring wind continued to aggravate the ocean and cause it to raise its waves. Bursts of wind caught some of those waves and heaved them at the lighthouse. The girls screamed out, watching this huge, and terrifying phenomenon. The lighthouse stood strong, the light emitting around and around. The clouds were rushing at an incredible rate, as the waves banged the lighthouse time and time again. Willie, in an effort to comfort the troop, explained that the structure of the lighthouse was designed to withstand just such winds and all they carry with them. Still the loud and overwhelming howls shook the girls as they huddled closer together. The leaders brought out the thermoses of hot chocolate and slowly started to hum some soothing songs that they knew the girls loved. Soon the scouts starting singing softly swaying in a circle, smiling at each other. The singing seemed to be in sync with the clashing wind and rain chiming against the windows. Willie, who had made a large pot of chicken soup, came out of the kitchen carrying a large tray of bowls of warmth and comfort. Realizing that they were all hungry, the troop sat at the large farmhouse type table. Willie encouraged them to slurp it up after he gave a word of thanks. Soon the wind was just a background noise while Willie told stories of ships in the sea, various sea life that have frolicked in the waters, and the quiet sky filled with stars twinkling and shooting about. The lighthouse was the center of this scene, standing formidably, encouraging the scared and worried with the flashing of the turning light.

The storm outside subsided in time and the girl scouts crawled into their sleeping bags and fell asleep to the whispers of the wind.

March 08, 2024 12:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Kathy Walsh
11:53 Mar 14, 2024

Thanks for your feedback. Means a lot to me!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Rehaf Imran
22:29 Mar 13, 2024

Very detailed and creative story! I could imagine the whole ordeal as if I were in that storm, running in the horrid rain. A fun, cute little story that was a very fun read. Good job!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kathy Walsh
12:42 Mar 08, 2024

This story is dedicated to my dad. He was an avid lover of lighthouses and the light that showed us the way.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.