0 comments

Drama Thriller

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

Bill had drifted off to sleep by the fire. His chin rested on his chest and his arms were hanging by the sides of the recliner. It was late at night and the warmth of the flames and the sound of heavy rain hitting his roof functioned as a sweet lullaby.

Suddenly, he sat up in his seat. Awoken by loud banging on his door. It was a cold November night and with the heavy downpour nobody would be venturing this far into the woods. Bill lived alone. The only time he would interact with anyone was when he would go into town for supplies or meet someone at the sawmill, both of which were at least 30 minutes away by car. It’s safe to say he wasn’t expecting guests. He stood there waiting for the banging to stop. He tried to believe that it could just be the wind or a small animal.

He slowly inched closer to the door, the knocks growing more faint every second. He looked out of the window by the door to see a man hunched over banging the door with a closed fist. Bill picked up his ax and kept it beside the door. Easily accessible but also out of sight once the door was opened. 

Bill opened the door just enough to get a good look out. The man was dressed in a business suit with loafers. He was obviously dripping wet but Bill also spotted many tears with blood stains. 

“What happened to y–” Bill couldn’t even finish before the mysterious man collapsed to the ground. 

Bill dragged him inside and left him on the ground next to the fireplace. Bill tried to ask him what happened or what he was doing out there at this time, but the man was unresponsive. Bill ran to grab some towels and a first aid kit. He removed all the man's clothes and covered him in the dry towels. He then bandaged up any large cuts. Bill initially thought the man had been attacked by some sort of animal and made a lucky escape, but he then noticed significant damage to both legs. The ankle on his right leg was incredibly swollen and his left leg was covered in large bruises. His skin had turned a light blue from the cold. Bill rubbed his arms and chest to try and bring some warmth back into his body.

Bill had another look out the window to check that there wasn’t a wolf or a bear that had been trailing him and he noticed something else. There was a suitcase and a very large duffle bag sitting on the ground. The man must have dropped it just before he stepped on the porch. Bill threw on his warmest jacket and quickly ran out to grab the man’s things. He grabbed the duffle bag first. He was shocked at the weight, it must have been about 40 pounds. He then picked up the briefcase which was weightless in comparison. 

Much of the color had returned to the man’s face once Bill had come back inside. As Bill dropped the bag he exclaimed 

“My god mister, what do you got in this bag?”

Bill sits back down in his chair and anxiously observes the man. His breathing looks steady. None of his cuts appeared to be profusely bleeding or be life-threatening in any way. Bill came to the conclusion that he just needs rest and the warmth of the fire. Once he’s awake, his many questions will be answered. 

It had been about 15 minutes. The man started to move and shift in place. It looked like he might regain consciousness at any moment. Bill starts to boil some water for tea. This was both for the man when he wakes up and also to calm himself down. He frequently turned to warm drinks by the fire to calm any worries or anxiety had. Just as the kettle began to whistle, the man let out some moans and groans. Bill walked over to check on his unexpected guest, the man began to open his eyes.

“Hello? How you feeling?” said Bill.

“What’s going on? My bag….Where’s my Bag?!” the man replied, suddenly becoming more alert with the thought of his bag. The man was wincing due to the pain in his legs.

“It’s okay, your bag and briefcase are just over there.”

“Oh thank god” the man said with a sigh of relief.

Bill repeated the question he had asked just before the man collapsed.

“What happened to you?”

The man ignored the question. “Where am I? How long have I been here?”

“You are in my cabin. We are about 30 minutes away from the town of Ariel”

The man sat in silence and examined his surroundings. He noticed the wood interior of the cabin. The open plan living room,dining room, and kitchen. There were two doors other than the front. These must be for the bathroom and bedroom. The place was far from what he was accustomed to but given the circumstances he felt quite calm. 

“Want to tell me your name?” asked Bill.

The man hesitated and then responded “em, David, my name’s David.”

Bill followed up with another question

“So what happened to you out there? You’re pretty banged up”

David again paused to gather his thoughts. “I still feel a bit hazy…em…I crashed my car a few miles from here. I tried to walk to get help”

“Jesus, must have been a bad wreck.”

“You have no idea.”

Bill, feeling a little more at ease now, asks

“So what is a guy like you doing driving out this far out in the woods at this time? Don’t see many guys at the saw mill walking around in a nice suit like that.” Bill gestures over to the wet jacket and pants hanging over chairs at the dining room table.

“Oh it’s not really important. I was actually on my way home. I was just visiting for the day” replied David.

“Visiting? Nobody visits here. I can barely get my own mother to visit these parts”

Given the situation David felt it was best to not appear suspicious.

“Okay, okay I wasn’t visiting. I… I was out here for another reason.” David takes a large pause before continuing. “I was staying at another cabin way out in the woods because…. because I was having an affair. My wife thinks I’m away on business. In reality I was meeting a call girl out of the way so nobody sees me.”

Bill didn’t know what to say. He was a lonely woodsman, he wanted no part of this man's vices or his marital woes. David continues

“Don’t go all quiet on me. I made a mistake. Honestly, It was the first time I've ever done anything like this… You don’t understand, things have been crazy at home. I just needed some time away. I don’t know what came over me, I had a few drinks the night I made the arrangements, then I felt I couldn’t back out.”

Bill, now feeling uncomfortable, responds

“Look what you do in your private life has nothing to do with me. You explained why you’re out this far, I don’t need the details.”

“Yes, perfect! Thank you. We can talk about something else.”

“Sure” said Bill. “I’ll make some tea.”

David takes his first sip of tea. 

“By the way, you never told me your name.”

“I’m Bill. Bill Williamson.”

David admired the cabin once again.

“I do say Bill, you have quite a cozy little place here.”

This was the first time in years that Bill had entertained a guest in years.

“Eh thanks, it’s not bad.”

“Not bad? Are you kiddin’? Look at that fireplace. I used to dream about having a nice wood fireplace like that. I got one of those gas ones at home. Considering I live in California, I ain’t got much use for one.”

“You live in California?” Bill said, sounding surprised.

“I am. You ever been?” Asked David.

“Nah, only on T.V.”

“Man you gotta see it. Some of the most beautiful beaches you’ll ever see. The sun always shines and the sky is always clear blue.”

Bill imagined it. On a cold wet night like tonight the image was especially pleasant. He wondered if he would miss the cozy familiarity of his home. But also what would a guy like him have to do in the middle of Los Angeles. Unless the government decided they need every palm tree cut down there’s not a lot of opportunities.

“It sounds nice. Maybe I’ll find some time eventually to make the trip.”

“Absolutely! We can meet up, I'll show you around. Once I get a new car that is.” 

Bill let out a little laugh. 

Bill felt this man had been naked in his home for long enough. He offered to bring David his bag so he could fish out something to wear. David very quickly refused claiming to be comfortable enough as is. He said he was perfectly fine sitting and enjoying the warmth of the fire as he was. Bill felt this was some strange form of politeness and moved for the bag anyway.

“HEY!” David snapped, “I’m serious do… not… touch… the… bag!”

Bill was stunned. He put his hands up and apologized. All he could think now was ‘What is in that bag?’.

Like a switch David went back to his regular chatty self after the bag was left. They finished their tea and continued talking about anything and everything.

Another hour or so went by. All of a sudden, both of their heads rapidly turned towards the door as they heard more knocking. This wasn’t desperate banging on the door like David, this was a firm but polite knock. Bill looked at David then stood up. David manages to get himself to his feet, letting out a groan as he does it. He stabilizes himself on the mantle of the fireplace. David begins to panic. He starts hobbling towards the door to the bedroom and whispers to Bill

“Please, please, please nobody can know I’m here. Trust me” as he disappears into the bedroom.

Bill felt a mountain of anxiety as he made his walk to the door again. With only the glow from the fireplace and a few candles lighting the room, the door appeared as a shadowy place he shouldn’t travel beyond. He wondered who could possibly be behind that door. The rain was just as heavy as it had been before and if anything the temperature was even colder now than it was a few hours before. Could it be David’s mistress, his wife, some other well dressed man lost in the woods?

 He finally reached the door. He peaked out the window and saw what appeared to be someone from the county sheriff's department standing at the door. He turned his head and their eyes met. Bill panicked and quickly opened the door.

“Hello, Deputy.” Bill said. “How can I help you?”

“Good evening Sir. You mind if I come in?”

Bill hesitated for a moment. “Eh.. sure. Come on in.”

The Deputy wiped his boots and came inside. He looked young, maybe thirty years old. Clean shaven and quite tall. He was wearing his full uniform with a puffy department-issued parka jacket.

“I’m sorry to disturb you at this hour. My name is Deputy Jack Parker. I wanted to ask you a question or two.”

“Absolutely, no problem at all.” responded Bill. His heart was in his throat. He was doing everything in his power to remain calm.

“I guess the first question is… do you mind if I hang up my jacket? It’s pretty toasty in here.”

Bill let out a friendly laugh. “Of course, you can just hang it up on the back of the door.”

The deputy removed his jacket and Bill’s eyes were immediately drawn to the revolver holstered on his waist.

“The reason I'm here is that I’m conducting a search of the area. Have you seen anything strange or seen anybody pass through here over the last few hours?”

Bill was torn. Does he play along or give David up? What could he have done? Perhaps this was completely unrelated. Bill decided to take a leap of faith.

“Definitely haven’t seen anyone out there. But with the weather I have no idea. I didn’t even realize you were at my door until you knocked.”

Bill’s chest tightened with every word. There was no going back now. The deputy responded

“Yeah I thought that might be the case. Really is some terrible weather we’re having.”

“Just out of curiosity, what kind of guy you looking for out here?” Bill asked.

“There’s an ongoing investigation, I really shouldn’t give too many details.”

“Even just a description? Is the fella you looking for dangerous or something? If he could be around my area I feel I have a right to know.”

The Deputy let out a sigh.

“That’s a fair point. There is a guy we’re looking for. Been reported as about 5 '7, dark hair, and wearing a full business suit.”

A full business suit. Bill’s anxiety hit new heights as he remembered David’s clothes drying on the chairs directly behind him. It was becoming more and more difficult to maintain a straight slightly curious face when in reality he wanted to scream. 

After digesting that information for a moment he said

“A full business suit? In that weather, won’t be long before he freezes. What did this guy do anyway?”

The Deputy takes another moment debating if he should be divulging this information. He realizes that in a few hours it will be all over the news anyway.

“Honestly, it’s quite the story. This guy going by the name of Dan Cooper gets on a plane at Portland International Airport heading to Seattle. While he’s on the flight he tells the stewardess he’s got a bomb in his briefcase and he’s going to blow up the plane unless he gets a ransom of $200,000.”

Bill's eyes widened. The Deputy believes he’s stunned by the story, actually he is thinking of David’s briefcase in the corner of the room. The Deputy continues

“They met his demands. When the plane landed in Seattle, a large duffle bag with the money and four parachutes were brought on board. The plane was refueled and took off again. Apparently he wanted to go to Mexico. From the radio communication I’ve received, it looks like he jumped somewhere over Southern Washington or North Oregon.”

Now Bill knows why that duffle bag was so heavy. There was no doubt who the man hiding in his bedroom was now.

They spoke about the strangeness of the case and how crazy this guy must be for a few more minutes. Bill was barely there, he just wanted the Deputy gone. Was David or should he say Dan Cooper listening to this. What happens when the Deputy leaves and he’s left with a deranged hijacking terrorist. 

The Deputy makes one final request, to use the bathroom. Bill cautiously guides him to the correct room making sure he doesn’t reach for the bedroom door. Deputy Parker emerges from the bathroom a minute or two later and prepares to leave.

“Let me just warm my hands on that nice fire for a minute and I'll be on my way.” Deputy Parker stands in front of the fireplace holding out his hands and periodically rubbing them together.

As he stands there, the Deputy notices something on the floor beside him. Some bloodied towels and a first aid kit.

“You injure yourself tonight?” the Deputy asks. 

Bill panics and says “Yeah I cut myself making dinner.”

Noticing the hesitation, Deputy Parker responds “That's quite a lot of towels for a cut on your hand.” 

There is silence. The deputy looks around the room more analytically than when he entered first. He sees the suit.

Bill breaks,

“He’s here… Your man is here. He told me not to say a thing. I’m sorry I was scared I didn’t know what to do.”

The Deputy responds simply with “Where?”

Bill points to the bedroom door. The Deputy draws his pistol and inches towards the door. He kicks the door open and drives Dan Cooper to the ground. The Deputy aims his pistol at Dan and starts to recite the Miranda Rights. Dan begins to plead

“Listen I’m not a dangerous guy… the cash is here we can split it… com’on I’m just a con man who took it too far please let me –”

Suddenly there is a thud and the Deputy falls to the floor. An ax sticking out of his upper back. Bill is standing in the doorway. He pulls the ax from the Deputy’s back and delivers another blow for good measure. No going back now. 

Dan’s jaw is on the floor. He’s the criminal here and he has never seen anything like this. Something about an ax is just so brutal. Bill slowly begins to hyperventilate realizing what he has done. Dan attempts to calm him down with promises of a plan, of California beaches, of $100,000 dollars in the bank. Ever the talker, Dan got him to relax. 

The main problem for Bill now wasn’t the impending search party, it’s the fact that Dan has no intention to split his money and he’s already started planning how to cut him loose.

August 18, 2023 17:43

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.