0 comments

General

“Clara, you need to open your mouth. That suck-up is taking credit for all your hard work.” 

“Why bother, Patti? Mr. Wilder thinks Brad is awesome, ok? He’s not going to listen to anything I have to say.”

“Then make him listen. You deserve the credit for this project, not that twit.” 

 “Patti, thank you for always having my back.”

“I know talent when I see it. Take it from me, you’re never going to move up in this world if you let people walk all over you. You have the talent to go far, you just need to let people see it.”

“Thanks, Patti. I’ll think about what you’ve said. I promise.”

“That’s all I ask. See you tomorrow. I’m getting out of here before Wilder gives me another pile of stuff to do.”

Clara couldn’t stop thinking about her words. Patti has a way of encouraging people that always left you feeling better. This time Clara only felt more discouraged. As kind and encouraging as Patti was, Clara didn’t have the guts to follow her advice. 

Clara thought, I need a backbone, but I’ll settle for Lucy and a full glass of wine. Clara’s sister is her complete opposite. Smart and determined, Lucy never takes crap from anyone. 

“Hi, Luce, what are you up to?”

“You sound bummed. What’s wrong? Let me guess, Brad?”

“It’s everything. My life sucks and I don’t know how to make it better.”

Lucy’s voice softened. “Clara, all you have to do is make a few minor changes and the rest will fall into place.”

“Patti at work is always encouraging me to stick up for myself, to talk to Wilder about my portfolio. But, I don’t even know if he’ll listen.”

“There’s your problem right there, Clara. You’re afraid of everything. Like I said, take it one step at a time. It’ll be easier that way. Go to the gym, take a class, get out there, and have some fun. As you start to feel happier and more content, you’ll be more confident. I promise. Just start with anything different than your norm.”

Clara’s smile showed in her voice. “How did you get so wise, little sister?”

“It’s not that I’m wise. It’s just that I can usually see the bigger picture. Baby steps will take you where you want to go. You can do it.”

“Thanks, Lucy.” 

“Anytime. I’ve got to run. Are you going to be ok?”

“Of course. I’ll talk to you soon. Love you.” 

Clara didn’t want to sit around brooding, so she put her wine glass in the refrigerator and slipped on her shoes. She opted for a nice long walk instead. Glancing at her watch, Clara couldn’t believe she’d been walking for the better part of an hour. She found herself standing in front of a small storefront with an inconspicuous sign on the door which had caught her attention. She slowly opened a door with sloppily painted stenciled letters that simply said, “Animal Shelter”. A nice air-conditioning breeze and a friendly face framed with spiked, hot pink hair and dangling cat earrings met her. “Hi there. Welcome to City Animal Shelter. My name’s Zoey. How can I help you?”

For a reason unbeknownst to Clara, she instantly felt at home. The paint was chipping and everywhere she looked, things seemed run down and in dire need of fixing or replacing. The tiny shelter was immaculately clean and welcoming. She somehow knew she’d wandered into the right place. 

“Oh, hi. To be honest, I’m not sure why I came in here.” The pink-haired woman laughed and held out her hand. “If I had a dollar for every time I heard someone in here say that I could update this place.” 

“My name is Clara. I was taking a walk to clear my head and somehow wandered in here.” 

“Oh, believe me, I get it. It happens all the time. I’d like to think these animals somehow choose us, not the other way around. Why don’t you wander around and visit our critters? Take your time and enjoy.”

Zoey was bubbly, her enthusiasm infectious. Clara was feeling better already. She started on the far wall and slowly made her way to the dog crates. She didn’t get far when she stopped. Inside a plain, yet amply sized crate was the most scroungy, gray and black dog. Clara guessed him to be about fifty pounds, much too big for what looked to be a cat bed in which he was attempting to lounge. The biggest, most kind brown eyes she had ever seen on a dog were staring up at her. If she had to explain what she was currently feeling, she’d be speechless. Normally, at a moment like this, a person would think about the commitment and financial burden of having a pet. All Clara could see were those eyes. All rational thinking ceased. 

“Zoey!” Clara yelled, yet didn’t need to. Zoey was already on her way. “I want him. No, I need him.” Zoey joined Clara in front of a cage labeled, “Barkley.” 

Zoey laughed heartily. “Yeah, that’s usually how it happens here. I haven’t had anyone react that way to Barkley, however.” Clara has yet to divert her eyes from Barkley but responded to Zoey. “Good. I’m glad no one else has taken him.” 

“Clara, let’s go up front and sit down. I’ll tell you all about Barkley and go over the adoption process.” There were two mismatched chairs just to the side of the front window. Zoey took a few papers from her desk on the way to the chairs. Zoey motioned for Clara to take a seat. “Our adoption process is easy. We do a quick background check, and if all check’s out, which I have no doubt it will, you’ll pay the adoption fee and Barkley is yours. We’ll give you a few items to get you started; some food, a toy, a bowl, leash, things like that. Any questions?” 

“That sounds easy enough. Zoey, can you tell me what you know about Barkley?”

“Of course. Here’s the thing, Barkley is a sweet, calm dog. There is something you need to know, though.” Clara leaned forward in her chair, eager for Zoey to explain. 

“Clara, from what I’ve seen, Barkley is a sweet, loving dog. However, he’s somewhat of a frequent flyer here. We’ve adopted him out several times and he always ends up back here. Twice, the adopters said that in under a week, he tears up the house he’s in; the people don’t know why. The people don’t know what to do so they bring him back here. One time, he even came back here on his own.”

“Why do you think that is, Zoey?” Clara asked.

“I’ve never said this to anyone before, but I think if Barkley doesn’t like the people who adopt him, he shows it. I believe it’s his way of telling us it’s not the right family for him.”

Clara took only a moment of thinking it all over. “Well, Zoey, I think that means Barkley must have exquisite taste. He doesn’t want a family to love him, he wants to choose the right family or person for him to love.” 

Zoey clapped her hands together. “You know, I think you’re right.” 

Clara stood. “Zoey, would it be alright if I spent a few minutes with him?”

Zoey was already on her feet and unclipping the crate keys from her belt loop. Barkley had already been standing by the door, looking at Clara. “Well, would you look at that, Clara, I think he wants to meet you.” Clara was already on one knee, so she could be eye level with Barkley. As soon as Zoey unlocked the crate, Barkley pushed it open wide with his nose, went straight to Clara, and began sniffing the new prospect.

Clara began petting Barkley’s neck. “You’re awesome, Barkley, do you know that? I’d like you to come home with me. What do you think?” Barkley looked from Clara to Zoey then began walking to the front of the shelter. He looked back as if to say, “Well, what are you waiting for? Are we going home or what?” 

“Look at that, it seems Barkley has made his choice. I’ll tell you what, how about we do this, you take him for a week and see how the two of you do? I’ll call in a quick background check. When it all checks out, he’ll be all yours.”

 “Oh, that would be fantastic.”

Barkley had sat by the front door patiently waiting for his new adventure. Zoey said, “Looks like your theory is correct. He’s chosen you as well. Zoey bagged the few supplies and Barkley came and put his head in her lap. Zoey placed the collar and leash on Barkley and told Clara she’d call in a week. 

Clara left the shelter with Barkley in tow. “Alright, Barkley, let’s go home. We’ll take the short cut to the pet store on the way to get you some more things.” Clara chatted with Barkley like he was an old friend. He occasionally glanced up at her, usually when she asked a question. “Why do I get the feeling you understand everything I’m saying?” Barkley began to pull Clara through the store. “Ooh,” She said. “You’re strong. I guess you see something interesting.” Clara watched him curiously as he went straight to the dog food aisle and pulled a bag off the shelf and began pulling her again. She threw the bag in a nearby cart and kept up. Barkley went up and down the aisles looking at the different items. He was perusing the aisles like a human; choosing what he wanted and throwing it in the cart with his mouth. When he was finished he pulled Clara toward the registers. She knew right then that Barkley was truly unique. Unbeknownst to her, she was about to learn just how much.

Clara unlocked the door and brought Barkley inside. “Here we are, home sweet home. She placed his supplies on the counter. He was watching her intently. Clara sat cross-legged on the floor and put her hands around his neck. “You know what? You don’t look like a Barkley to me. Do you think we should change it, find you something more fitting?”

“Oh, thank you. Finally, an owner with some sense. I hate that name, it’s humiliating.” Clara fell back on to her butt. “Oh my God! You talk.”

 “I had something to say. Isn’t that what you do when you have something to say?” 

“I’m sorry, but this isn’t normal.”

 “It may not be normal for you, but it’s normal for me. Does it bother you?

 “No, not at all. It’s just… different.”

 “I usually don’t talk to humans. It must be the right person, someone I feel worthy of a conversation. Now, how about that name change?”

 “Is that why you wreaked havoc in those homes because you didn’t deem them worthy?”

 “No, more like not a good fit for me." 

 “It’s a pleasure to formally meet you. I hope you have patience with me. I’ve never encountered a talking dog."

 “So, is there a particular name you have in mind?” 

“Yes, thank you for asking. I’d like to be called, Rover.” 

“You think Barkley is humiliating but you want Rover? Isn’t that a little cliché?”

“It’s a classic.” He said. Clara laughed. “Rover it is! It seems a little wrong to treat you like the average dog.” 

“You can talk to me as you would any human. I won’t talk around anyone but you. I would love some nice walks and be pet, though. I’m still a dog.” Rover scratched himself with his back leg while he continued talking. 

“Why did you want me, Clara? I know an impulse purchase when I see one.”

Clara went to sit on the couch. Rover followed. “Am I allowed on this couch?” Clara burst out laughing. “You are welcome to go into any room and on any piece of furniture you’d like. I don’t know why I ended up in that shelter. I took one look at you and somehow knew you had to come home with me. I’d like to think there is a reason."

Rover jumped on the couch facing Clara. “I couldn’t agree more. Listen, you want to get that water bowl filled? I’d do it but, you know, lack of opposable thumbs and all.” Chuckling, Clara went in to fill the bowl. Clara pulled her glass of wine out of the refrigerator and went back to the couch. Rover lapped up the water then looked at Clara on his way back to the couch. “Thanks for that. I was drier than toast without butter. Clara, why do you live alone? Is that why you needed me? Filling a void?” 

“You sound like my sister. I’ve been a little unfulfilled lately. Who gets everything in life that they want anyway?”

 “Everyone who goes after it.” 

“It’s not that easy, Rover. I am in advertising and I think I’m good at it. But there’s this guy at work who seems to get all the credit.” 

“Yeah, sure, that’s it. It’s this guy’s fault you’re not climbing the corporate ladder.” 

“It is!” Clara said defensively.

 “No, it’s not. Listen, Tell me what the real problem is.” 

“ I feel stuck, especially at work.” She went on to tell Rover the same thing she told Lucy. His response wasn’t like Lucy’s, however.

“Clara, no one, literally no one can give you the life you want but you. If you want to be recognized at work for your accomplishments, then take pride in your work. It’s simple, yet you humans make it so difficult.” Clara responded with her usual retort. “I don’t see how it’s the least bit simple. I told you that I present the work at meetings and somehow Brad ends up getting the credit.”

 “Alright, here’s what you’re gonna do. Create something. Walk into the boss’s office and hand it to him. Boom! Problem solved. Think about it.”

The following morning Rover was sitting by his bowl, ready to eat, and ready to go. “Top o’ the morning, Clara. I’m ready for my breakfast and ready to help you grab this day by the horns.”

 “Good morning. Wait, what?”

“You’re taking me to work with you."

“Oh no! There’s no way…” 

“Clara, you need me. Do you have a project completed that could knock your boss’s socks off?” 

“Yes, but…” 

“Fine, go yourself but show the boss!” 

 

At the office, all Clara could do was think about Rover’s words. She looked over and saw Brad staring at her. She lowered her head. He could see she’s upset. He made his way over to her desk. “Good morning, Clara. I wanted to apologize for how I’ve been acting. You deserve the credit for the last project and I let Wilder think it was mostly my idea. I want you to know that’s not who I am and I’m going to tell Wilder the project is all yours.” Brad walked away from Clara and right into Wilder’s office.

When Clara got home she took Rover out for a walk. She told him all about her day and what transpired between her and Brad. “Maybe Brad’s not such a bad guy after all. Is he cute?”

“Rover!”

“Well, is he?”

“Actually, yes he is."

“Ask him out.” “Clara rolled her eyes. “You’re relentless.”

“You have no idea.” 

The next day while Clara was at the office working, Rover walked up to her desk. “Rover, how did you get in here?” 

“I’m smarter than the average dog, remember? You need to show your boss your portfolio.” He no sooner said that when Wilder walked into Clara’s office.

 “Why is your dog here?” 

“I’m sorry Mr. Wilder. He must’ve followed me." Rover was staring at her portfolio. 

”It’s not a problem. I like dogs. Clara, is that your portfolio?" 

“Oh, it’s just some ideas I had for the company.” 

“I’d like to see it, please.” He sat down and leafed through the portfolio. “Clara, how come you haven’t shown me any of this? This is all your work?” 

“Yes, Mr. Wilder. It’s what I’ve been working on in my spare time.” 

“It’s some of the best ideas I’ve seen. Come to my office tomorrow morning. I’d like to talk to you about the open manager’s position.” 

“Thank you, sir.” He patted Rover and left the office.

When he was out of earshot Rover spoke. “What did I tell you?” 

“Thank you, Rover.”

He walked out without another word.

 

The next morning, just as Clara was preparing to head to Mr. Wilder’s office, she saw Brad in there having a conversation with him. Brad left the office and went over to Clara. “Hi, Clara. could I take you to dinner tonight?” Clara felt her cheeks blush. “I’d like that.”

“Great. I’ll pick you up at 6.”


Clara had a wonderful time at dinner and invited Brad back to her place for a nightcap. As soon as Brad stepped into her apartment he looked at Rover. “Wow, your dog looks exactly like a puppy I had years ago who ran away. I never found out what happened to him. His name was Barkley.” Clara looked at Rover who was looking at her. She could have sworn he was smiling at her. Clara opened her mouth to respond then stopped. Rover went over to Brad and looked up at him. “Hi, Brad.” He began. “Sorry about the whole running away thing, but as you can see, I had… plans.” Brad and Clara looked at each other and Brad nonchalantly said, “I knew I heard that dog talk." They both knew that the world was truly full of magic if you paid attention. They both looked at Rover who simply said, “My work here is done. You’re welcome.”


May 12, 2020 17:23

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.