9 comments

Science Fiction LGBTQ+

“There is no need to panic. We just need to find a way to get off this planet. We will split up into groups of two and explore the planet. Let’s keep our com-links on and periodically keep in touch.” Commander Mandy Bennett said to her four crew members. “Grey and Martinez, you two team up and head North. Son and Reed, you two go West.” I will head East. Let’s try to meet back here at sun rise.” 

    I trust my crew. We will find out how we ended up on this planet. And more importantly, I know we will find a way back home. Mandy thought as she walked through the alien jungle. The binary suns were beginning to set. She picked up her pace, not wanting to get stranded in the dark. Pushing her way through the blue leafs, she swore she could hear music. 

  That sounds like singing. Where is it coming from. She stretched out her ear and listened. It sounds like it is just up ahead. She made her way through a clearing and stopped short at the sight. In the middle of the jungle was a market. This planet is inhabited! What do I do? Should I go back, or should I explore? She laughed under her breath. I am an explorer, I can’t let this opportunity pass by. But I can’t wear my EVA suit.

      Looking at the readings of the atmosphere, Mandy breathed a sigh of relief. Safe to breathe. I can hide my suit behind those trees over there, then on the way back to the ship I can collect them. Dressed in her cotton shorts and a T-shirt, she ventured into the market. Now all I have to do is blend in.

    The atmosphere of the shop was electric. Music played as she continued through the Bazaar like market. Tables and stalls draped in colorful cloth lined the way, while multi species of aliens milled about, eating, drinking, holding hands—or intertwining tentacles. If this weren’t real, I would swear I was in an episode of Star Trek. She walked through the throng of aliens, observing every stand along the way. It was a sensory overload of stalls, stands, and kiosks. Various colors, merchandise, and baubles filled her sight. Everything looks incredible! I have to explore it all.

    Walking up an aisle, she was attracted to a stand with two pillars draped with purple and gold cloth, making a canopy. On top of the table lay various shapes of objects. What are these? They look vaguely like musical instruments. I wonder if that’s what they are? An alien with purple skin and grey hair picked up the object that looked like a guitar and started strumming it. They are musical instruments, but…but that guitar sounds like a piano. That’s incredible!

    In the corner crystal windchimes blew and clanged in the breeze, chiming in different decibels as the larger and smaller ones collided with each other. On the table adjacent to her sat a fixture of seven glass tubes with different size holes cut throughout. As the wind blew throughout the rainbow-colored glass tubes, the eeriest music filled Mandy’s ears. What a beautifully sad tune. I wish I could take this home with me. Sarah would love it.

    She thought of home and her wife for a moment. Sarah, home. I have to get home. I only have a short time before the others check in with me. I have to continue. I have to find something to fix the ship with, or at least boost our signal. Taking one last glimpse of the musical instruments, Mandy made her way around to the next aisle.

    Colorful strands of lights lit the way, glistening off the tiled floor of the market. Birds chirped and reptiles hissed and thrashed in the natural purple water in their cages on some of the tables. Birds and lizards. She went up to a cage where a red scaled bird sat perched on a blue branch, hissing. Evolution definitely branched out differently here. This place is fantastic. If only we could send a scientific mission here. But we can’t, it is inhabited with sentient life. Just what a planet. From the blue leafy trees, purple oceans, green sky, to the reptilian birds, and the species of hominids. There is so much to discover.

    She walked over to the table next to the menagerie, where botanical terrariums were being sold. Hanging plants hung over the awning, and colorful glass jars with miniature blue leafed trees hovered over the table. Inverted bell-shaped plants swayed in a crystal dome. While carnivorous purple colored plants in a glass bowl ate what Mandy could only imagine were this planet’s flies. These plants are beautiful. A faint humming filled Mandy’s ears. What is that? It sounds like cicadas. Is that what those plants are eating?

    She went closer to the carnivorous plants, but the noise faded the closer she got. Hmm. It stopped. Could it have been? She shook her head. No. It can’t be. But it was the same noise in the jungle. She went over to the blue leafed trees. The humming picked up again. It’s the bark of these trees. That’s what’s making the humming sound. She smiled. Amazing!

    From the corner of her eye, a flash of fire caught her attention. What was that? She turned around and saw three fire pits being lit by three aliens. Their green, blue, and orange skin illuminated in the glow. Drumming began to echo throughout the Bazaar, and fluted music pipped through the air. Everyone stopped what they were doing and began clapping as five dancers preformed up the aisles. Draped in silky fabric and changing crystal jewelry, the woman twirled and leapt under the starry sky.

    Patrons joined in the merriment, while others went back to their booths, and shopping. I really have to continue. Walking past stalls of clothing, jewelry, and other baubles, Maddy continued through the market. This place is like from a dream. It is a mix of a Bazaar from India and a Casbah in Morocco, yet the alien nature gives it a futuristic vibe. From the technology, and the alien flora and fauna. I would think I was in the Star Wars universe. I could stay here all day. But I can’t. Just one-hour Mandy. Then you have to really get back to reality. She looked at the S tattoo on her ring finger. Just think of Sarah, and how much you have to tell her when you get back.

    Mandy picked up her pace, ignoring all the many booths. She decided to just enjoy the atmosphere as she worked her way out of the market. She was so engrossed in the scenery, she hadn’t noticed until now, that the air smelt like cinnamon. Nor had she heard the babble of the many languages being spoken.

Up ahead cheers and whistles echoed through a crowd of aliens. Mandy sauntered over to where a holographic display of woman and men stripped and danced. Smoke filled the gritty corner and Mandy's head began to spin. Drinks sloshed and two reptilians screeched. I think I found the seedy part of this market. She laughed. I guess we are all the same all over. This place really has everything. What a fun market.

It was such a magical place. But now, the spell needed to be broken. She had to get home. She found where she had left her EVA suit, pulled it back on, and headed back west. Maybe I will be able to find a space port. Anything was possible. After all, the planet is a multi-species hub of activity.

    --The End




November 14, 2020 03:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

9 comments

Lerynne West
08:36 Aug 01, 2023

I'm a wealthy woman today is because of Dr Benjamin the great lottery spell caster who my friend directed me to contact as he had helped him in the past to win the lottery. After I contacted him he assured me that he will help me and he also instructed me on what to do, at that point I realize that this is a life-changing opportunity for me, after I followed the instructions that he gave me, I won the sum of 343.9 million dollars power ball jackpot I’m excited to share my winnings with family and friends and Dr Benjamin for he made this poss...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Clinton Siegle
18:52 Jul 20, 2021

Way cool. Do you read Robert Asprin?

Reply

Heather Starling
03:59 Jul 25, 2021

Thank you so much :) no, I haven’t read him, but I’m going to look that up for sure.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Art⋲mis Xx
23:19 Nov 18, 2020

Hey, Heather. I love your story and only have one thing to suggest. Instead of saying --The End, you could end it on a small cliffhanger or something like that. I find it makes it a little more hooking and interesting! But great job anyways!

Reply

Heather Starling
01:55 Nov 19, 2020

Thank you so much. I get what you're saying, I just always end my short stories that way. I am glad you like my story, I like your story too, its very good.

Reply

Art⋲mis Xx
20:53 Nov 20, 2020

No problem. It's great!

Reply

Heather Starling
00:38 Nov 21, 2020

Thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Saizen 🦜
18:20 Nov 15, 2020

Hi there, this is a fantastic read! You truly painted an animated picture of an alien bazaar. How Mandy got attracted to the place by sound, and the later elaboration of musical instruments and festivities are pretty clever. The description of the people, stalls, flora, fauna, and merchandises are extremely detailed. I only have some very minor things: - Bazaar and Casbah shouldn't be capitalized. Only capitalize unique places. - 'holographic display of woman and men' 'woman' should be 'women'. Overall, it's a well d...

Reply

Heather Starling
22:51 Nov 15, 2020

Thank you so much. I really appreciate the feedback. I am glad you liked my story. Your story is really good. I gripped me from the beginning. The plot is so cool, and creative. Can't wait to read more.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.