0 comments

Romance Drama Funny

Death, a construct of human imagination or the scientific halt to an organism's existence. One a fantasy, the other fact. Nothing can happen more beautiful than death, the words of Walt Whitman. I couldn't care less, I was leaving this cruel world and I was grateful. I just needed to get over with the pharse. Grow, feed, learn, marry, reproduce, die. My only regret was that I hadn't gone past learning. I could feel my mouth run dry in the moment, a vague coldness enveloping my chest as the smell of iron filled my nostrils. The corridor lights flashed over my eyes, one after the other as the sound of the ambulance alarm wrecked my eardrums. 

"What's the situation?" One of the doctors asked

"Blalalala," another cried, "la lala,"

A gibberish only known to the medics. At Least their eyes told me what I needed. Hazel, dark at first glance, a hint of shock and despair mixed in there, " Good, I didn't need to care about the medical bill," 

I could feel my mind, rattle with thoughts, a glimpse of my short but dull life. The only moment worth noting, a twilight in the middle of September. 

My palms were sweaty and my tongue blunt as a brick. My heart palpitating like a Jackhammer. I thought I could smell the cologne sip off my body. A warrior unworthy of the power of Axe. Her eyes stayed unshaken by my presence. Angel was her name. An embodiment of what I expect to find in heaven. She had those dark, exotic eyes captured by Egyptian artists. Her skin, a deep caramel that seemed to glow in the daylight. Her smile, a charm more precious than gold. I had been smitten for a year now and barely yielded the resolve needed to approach her. Frozen like a boulder, I blocked her path into class, my voice dancing between hello and excuse me, finally feel to a minor, "Hexcuse me,"

Unmoved by my gesture, her petite figure managed to squeeze past me. 

"What's that?" My mind echoed. A slight beep, again, again and again. "What the hell, didn't heaven have a policy against noise pollution?" My eyelids stretched themselves apart, a vision I never knew I wanted. The room was blurry. A sure testament to the life that flowed through my veins. "Welcome back," Angel's voice echoed "Am sure you will need these back," she added before I could reply, placing glasses over my eyes. I could feel my body tense against my judgement. A familiar rush that left my palms wet as the Nile. Words choked in my throat  that instant. A gesture she assumed was a cry for some water. A task she easily performed. "Hey," my voice finally croaked. A slight giggle escaped her, "Angel?"

Her face quizzical, yet still friendly, "I don't think you are dead honey," she replied as she tended to his pillow

"Your name is Angel, right?"

"Why?" She asked as she took a seat beside be, a tight squeeze upon the hospital bed, "You are old," I stammered as I tried to make way

"That's your fault," she smiled, wrinkles tightening around her eyes, "Fifty years of marriage to your grumpy ass and am still alive,"

"Fifty?" 

"Oh, it's one of those days,"she whispered as she shifted to lie by my side, "Let me take you back," she replied as her fingers wrapped around mine. Holding up her hand. The wedding band glistening in the sunset to a blinding light. 

I could see it. Her in a swan white dress, face as pretty as for a goddess. Her lips gradually rose up to mine. I could feel the shyness prick my face, as I attempted to smile.  The dress hissed it's way to the ground leaving me breathless. Her naked body exposed, skin, smooth as silk, body, a perfect hourglass. Her eyes searched mine with delight. She was perfect in that moment. "So, Mr Husband, what are you going to do about it?" A dare that instantaneously turned me on.

Gently lowering my temple towards hers, I wrapped my hand around her waist. "Good," she whispered as she grabbed my other hand, firmly capping it over her breast.

Pulling her closer, our lips locked in one passionate kiss, wrapping me in a net of charges. I could feel the desire burn between us, screaming for the final deed. With her hands wrapped around my neck, she leaned in further, causing us to fall flat onto the floor.

A slight sting to the back of my head that led me to close my eyes. Suddenly, the sun was up again. The sound of children's cheers filled the room in an instant. I opened my eyes. I was surrounded by rattled toys, and a variety of rainbow toned colors. 

"Who are you?" Angel called out. Her voice now pitched and innocent. 

I could help but squint. She was a toddler. I assume she was shaken by my sudden appearance. The poor little thing stayed a clear distance from me. Her eyes still the same though with a curious glow.

"Are you a perv?" 

"No," I blurted as I struggled to get up, her eyes fixed on me

"Are you Angel?"

"No, am Angela," she replied as she walked up to the bag rack. 

"Angela, how did I get here?"

"I don't know,"

"I last remember I was in a hospital,"

"Maybe you should go back to the hospital and find out how you got here," she replied as she finally pulled up a backpack. Wrapping it around her shoulders.

"Good idea," I sighed before I pushed myself onto my feet. 

"My mum works in a hospital,"

"Really?"

"And one day I'll grow up and work in a hospital too,"

Words that froze me in spot, "Maybe you'll get married as well," I stammered

"No, I want to be like my mum,"

"What would it take to make you marry me?" A strange question for a child for sure. Maybe I really was a perv. 

Her face glowed with blushing as she broke into a laughter, "I can't marry you, am eight years old,"

"Oh, good point," I mumbled as I briefly took a seat, "when you grow older, what kind of person would you want to marry,"

"Well, he'd have to be funny," she retorted, "and smart, and brave, to scare the monsters inside the toilet,"

"Good point,"

"And strong..."

"Well, I am all that, so will you marry me when you get older?"

"No," the little girl giggled, "I can't marry you, you are my friend,"

I could feel my eyes roll in the moment as her laughter faded into a distant bleep. Bleep, bleep, again and again. " Welcome back sir," Angel's voice whispered again as I opened my eyes. Her stare, the brief and hypnotic type. "Angel?" My voice croaked, "is that your name?"

"Yes sir, it's written on my name tag,"

"we studied together, we were in the same class,"

"Sure," she replied, clearly drawn to be irritated by my next words.

"I had a crush on you for nearly a decade," I added 

"Yes, sure," she mumbled before walking off

February 20, 2021 03:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.