1 comment

Crime Suspense Sad

This story contains sensitive content

October 21, 1950. The train doors clanged loudly as they closed at the nearly deserted station, echoing through the empty platform. The late-night crowd shuffled onto the train like spectral figures, their dark, drab attire and flickering lights giving them an otherworldly appearance. Among this monochrome scene, one figure stood out a woman in an oversized vintage suit, her pants nearly brushing the grimy concrete.


Eve Edwin, a determined private investigator, boarded the train with one goal in mind, to crack a cold case involving the disappearances of four children, this was classified as serial killer crime each event happening with same MO, children of the age of 10 were abducted and found dead at Station Stop 5, each exactly ten years apart. This night marked the fateful date again, October 21st, 1950. Despite regulations against personal involvement in cases, Eve was drawn back by a sense of duty and a vow to solve it before another child vanished.


As she settled into her seat amidst the oppressive atmosphere of cigar smoke and whiskey, Eve noticed a peculiar boy. Unlike the rest, he wore brightly coloured clothes from another era, his gaze fixed on her with large, glittering blue eyes. They exchanged a silent connection until the next stop, where he disappeared into the departing crowd.


Determined to learn more, Eve pursued him through the thicket of grey, only to find him gone. Sitting back down disappointed, she felt a ghostly chill and, to her surprise, the boy’s icy hand clasped hers. Startled, she turned to find him sitting beside her again. "Where did you suddenly disappear too?" she blurted out.


The boy gazed up at her with wide, luminescent blue eyes, framed by delicate lashes. His pale skin, almost translucent, gave him an ethereal, almost ghostly presence, making him look like he belonged to another world. His soft features, rounded cheeks, and small nose, were framed by wisps of light blonde hair that fell lightly across his face. When he spoke, his voice was barely more than a whisper, calm and soothing, like a breeze on a still evening, contrasting sharply with the strangeness of his clothing.


Eve, in contrast, stood tall and imposing. Her sharp, angular features gave her an air of authority. A wild mane of fiery red hair cascaded down her back, matching the fierce intensity of her gaze. Her voice was strong, loud, and commanding, filling the space with its presence. Everything about her seemed to burn with energy and passion, the polar opposite of the boy's quiet, unsettling calm.


The eerie quiet of the train enveloped them. A cold breeze made Eve shiver as she realized the train had stopped moving, and the boy had vanished once more, however as eve inspected the seat the little boy was previously sitting on she was stunned to see that the seat had built up cobwebs and dust.

The doors shut, as the train resumed its journey, and then, suddenly, his hand was in hers again. 

This time, she asked, "Why have you returned to this train?" Baffled by her own question. The boy, his eyes unnervingly wise, replied softly, "I don't know." His hand tightened around hers, unnaturally cold. Eve ventured, "when did you step into this train, how long have you been waiting?"

"I've lost track of how long it's been," he said cryptically, pointing to the train doors. "How long I've been on this train."

Eve's concern grew. The boy disappeared each time the train stopped, leaving behind dusty seats covered in cobwebs. As the train moved again, he reappeared, calmly stating, "I got on this train on October 21, 1900."


Stunned, Eve realized the boy should be much older if that were true. "How old are you now?" she asked, fear creeping into her voice.

"I'm about ten and a half now," he replied, eyes welling with tears. Eve embraced him tightly, but in an instant, he vanished again as the train came to a sudden halt.


With a sinking feeling, Eve considered the possibilities. And with a summary she asked “Ni-Nico” His eyes glittering with tears as they’re perfectly structured forms shattered on the solid ground, the train paused, could it be Nico could only appear under certain conditions, perhaps on the anniversary of his death, or when his killer was near. As the train resumed and Nico reappeared, Eve whispered urgently, "Nico, is the person who murdered you on this train? Are they watching us?"

In horror, Nico nodded.


The train car felt colder than ever as Eve processed Nico's revelation. She had to tread carefully. Nico's killer could be anyone among the passengers. She watched them with suspicion, noting their every move, searching for any unnatural sign.


Minutes passed in tense silence, broken only by the rhythmic chug of the train. Eve's mind raced with questions. How had Nico been murdered? Who could have done such a thing? And why had his spirit been condemned to this eternal journey?

Nico remained by her side, his presence both comforting and unsettling.


He seemed to grow weaker with each passing minute, his translucent form flickering in and out of visibility. "I don't have much time" he whispered hoarsely. "You must find them before it's too late."

Eve nodded, her determination solidifying. She knew what she had to do. Shuffling through her bag, She retraced Nico's story, digging into the archives of old newspapers and police reports.


She pieced together fragments of information, rumors of a child's disappearance, whispers of foul play, and the mysterious silence that followed each incident.


Then, in a tattered old newspaper from 1900, Eve found a breakthrough. A brief article spoke of a child named Nico, who had vanished on October 21st, 1900, from Station Stop 5. The circumstances were murky, but witnesses reported seeing a shadowy figure lurking near the train tracks, the description they gave of the man matched a old suspect that had not been identified. He had lost his 10 year old daughter, after that incident he became quiet violent towards his peers.


With renewed purpose, Eve confronted the passengers one by one, probing for clues, searching for any trace of guilt or unease. Among them, she noticed a middle aged man, fidgeting nervously, constantly adjusting his collar whenever her gaze lingered too long. His eyes flicked restlessly around the train car, avoiding her stare. Something about him unsettled her. 


As if sensing he was being watched, the man suddenly rose from his seat and made his way toward the train doors. In horror, Eve realized he was clutching the small hand of a little girl, gently but insistently urging her forward. The girl, too young to understand the gravity of the situation, followed, her small steps traced through the train, obedient to the man’s words.


Instinctively, Eve shouted, “Stop that man!” Her voice cut through the murmur of the passengers, but most remained indifferent, just lifeless souls moving through the motions of the night. Yet one figure reacted to a woman clutching a small teddy bear, whose eyes widened in terror. “That’s my daughter!” the woman cried.

Eve’s pulse quickened, and without waiting, she launched herself toward the doors, racing against the momentum of the slowing train. As the man neared the exit, she leaped between him and the doors, blocking his path with a fierce resolve. “It’s over," she bellowed, her voice commanding. "Let her go.”


The man froze, his fury palpable. His eyes darted around wildly, searching for an escape. The train had begun to slow, and his panic was escalating. Sweat beaded on his brow, his grip on the little girl’s hand tightening as though he were trying to hold onto his last shred of control.


Just then, Nico appeared. His ghostly form materialised beside the man, laying his small, icy hand on the man’s arm. At the sight of the boy, the man recoiled, his face twisting in a mix of horror and guilt. 

“No, no, no… not you,” the man sputtered, his voice cracking. His breath came out in shallow gasps. “You were an accident. You started this!”


His grip on the little girl’s fragile hand loosened. The girl, sensing the tension, pulled free and ran into her mother’s arms, sobbing. The man, shaking, tried to pry Nico’s hand from his arm, but Nico’s grip held firm. 


Desperate and defeated, the man collapsed to the floor as the train came to a halt. His body trembled, his face streaked with tears. “It wasn’t my fault,” he cried. “They didn’t want to stay with me. I just wanted to give them a better home…”

Nico’s grip vanished as the train doors opened. The once shadowy past came into clarity as the man’s confession echoed in the cold, silent train. The truth, laid bare, revealed a tortured man whose misguided need for love had turned deadly, trapping Nico in a cycle of vengeance and sorrow.

Eve stood over the man, her heart pounding in her chest. Justice, at last, had come.


As the train settled into silence, the tension of the moment faded, leaving Eve alone with her thoughts and Nico’s spectral presence. The confession of the killer echoed in her mind he had taken those children out of a twisted need for love, a need he didn’t understand. But as Eve turned her attention back to Nico, standing silently beside her, she sensed something was still left unsaid.


"Nico," she whispered, her voice soft but firm. "It’s over now. The man who hurt you… he’s gone. You’re free."

Nico didn’t respond immediately. His small, pale hand reached for hers again, and she felt the icy chill of his touch. His eyes, deep and sad, stared into hers. "I’m not free, Eve," he said quietly. "Not yet."

Eve knelt beside him, confused. "What do you mean? He’s been caught. You can move on now, Nico. You don’t have to stay here anymore."


Nico’s gaze faltered, his lip trembling. "I didn’t see the others, Eve. When they died, I wasn’t there. I couldn’t help them… I wasn’t taken like they were. I came back because I was afraid." His voice shattered, as though he was confessing something he had buried deep inside.


Eve frowned, her heart clenching at the sight of the small, frightened boy in front of her. "What are you afraid of, Nico?"

"I’m scared to leave," Nico whispered, his voice barely audible. "I’m scared of what’s next. What if... there’s nothing after this?"


Eve’s chest tightened. She had faced her own fears before, many times in her life, but she couldn’t imagine the terror that affects a young boy like Nico trapped for so long, afraid of the unknown. She gently pulled him close, wrapping her arms around him. His cold form felt fragile in her embrace, and yet she held him tightly, determined to give him the comfort he needed.


"I don’t know what comes next either, Nico," she said softly, her voice steady despite the tears that trickled in her eyes. "But you’re not alone. You don’t have to be afraid anymore. You’ve been brave for so long. It’s okay to let go now."


Nico’s form flickered, his body growing lighter as his translucent edges began to blur. A soft, ethereal glow surrounded him, brightening as Eve held him tighter. His grip on her hand loosened, but he looked up at her, his once terrified expression softening into one of peace.

"Will you stay with me?" he asked, his voice trembling.


"I’m right here, Nico," she whispered, her voice breaking. "I won’t leave you."

As the light around him intensified, Nico’s small body seemed to dissolve into it, becoming one with the soft glow that now filled the train car. Eve could feel his presence slipping away, like mist fading into the morning air, and yet she didn’t let go. She held on until there was nothing left to hold.

And then, with one final flicker of light, Nico was gone.


The train came to a stop, the doors opening to the cool night air. Eve stood alone in the quiet car, her arms still raised as if holding onto the memory of the boy who had once been beside her. She felt the warmth of the lingering light on her skin, a gentle reminder that Nico had finally found peace.


She stepped off the train, glancing back one last time at the empty carriage. The ghostly chill that had once hung in the air was gone, replaced by a sense of calm. Nico had passed on, no longer trapped, no longer afraid.


With a deep breath, Eve walked away from the platform, the case finally closed. But the memory of Nico the brave little boy who had faced his fear stayed with her, a light that would never fade.


For In his final memory, Nico’s secret was simply fear.


September 13, 2024 21:59

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

David Sweet
23:44 Sep 15, 2024

It isn't clear to me what happened to the man. Was he a spectre too? Was he arrested? I don't think we quite got closure there. I think I would have also liked to have heard his confession from him as a monologue rather than it be reported that he confessed. Overall, I liked the story, but I would have liked it filled out a little more (I realize 3,000 word limit is tough). If you expand this story in the future, I would work on what I have already mentioned and perhaps give our detective a little deeper, perhaps personal, connection to th...

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.