2 comments

General

Henry usually spent Wednesday afternoons in the garden. Watering, weeding, scraping the little worms of moss from between the patio slabs. But given the current circumstances, Henry could be found pottering around the garden on most afternoons, reveling in the fresh air and sunshine that the uncharacteristically warm spring had brought. Jinx the cat would stare down at him from her perch on the top of the fence, meowing every so often for a bit of attention and a quick chin scratch. 


Henry had seen the messages on the news urging people to look out for elderly neighbours, so he chuckled to himself and tried not to take offense when the little boys from across the road posted a note through his letterbox one day.


If you need anything - groceries, medicine, just a chat - please feel free to call our house and we’ll do our best to help. Take care! The Matthews Family at number 42 x


How nice, Henry had thought to himself, flicking the kettle on. Although he was retired, and certainly in his later years, Henry was a surprisingly sprightly gentleman. He marked this up to his time in the army, which had taught him discipline, control and routine. Even before the lockdown, Henry had woken just before his 6am alarm, every day like clockwork. He’d shaved, showered, dressed and eaten breakfast before the clock struck seven, and gone for his morning walk around the lake, a precise 3km. His days were filled with crosswords and jigsaws and maths problems, all to keep the mind sharp. Meals were for fuel, not pleasure, though once in a while he would reward himself with a small glass of single malt whiskey and a small bar of bitter dark chocolate. It had been that way since before Maggie had died, although she’d been much more relaxed than him and teased him gently from time to time.


“Oh Henry,” she’d stay. “What would happen if you showered and then shaved? Would the sky fall down if you got a little bit drunk or ate cake for breakfast or didn’t iron your vest?”


Henry knew she was only joking. Maggie loved that he was reliable and stable and always dependable. When she got sick, it comforted her to know that he’d be able to look after himself when she was no longer there to do so. 


And he had Jinx the cat, of course. The perfect pet; low maintenance, quiet, clean. She would come and go whenever suited her, occasionally slinking up to Henry for an ear scratch or to mewl for a tin of food. 


Annie usually spent Friday evenings in the garden. Reading a book, drinking a cold glass of white wine, picking flowers or a bit of greenery for the vase in the middle of the dining table. But given the current circumstances, Annie was finding it difficult just to get out of bed, let alone venture outside. Molly the cat would wander in and out whenever she pleased, oblivious to the changing world around her. 


The Matthews’ boys had also posted a note through Annie’s door. Annie didn’t notice for a few days. When she finally felt well enough to get out of bed and make it downstairs, she realised there was a little scrap of paper waiting for her on the mat. 


I wonder if they wouldn’t mind, she had thought to herself as she read it. It took her another few hours before she actually called the number on the bottom of the note. Annie was finding the lockdown very difficult. She felt heavy all the time. If she noticed her heartbeat, even for a second, she would suddenly start to panic and imagine her throat closing up slowly. At those times, it was nice to have Molly close by. Annie would concentrate on Molly purring loudly next to her and forget about heartbeats or throats or heaviness. 


“Oh, hello there,” she began when the line was picked up. “This is Annie, from number 45 and I…”


She was interrupted by a little voice shouting into the receiver.


“Muuuuuuuuum. The lady from across the road is on the phoooooooooone.”


Then there was a clatter and the sound of someone running away and then the phone was being picked up again.


“Hello?” came a light, friendly, female voice.


“Oh, hello there,” Annie began again. “This is Annie from number 45.”


“Oh, hello!” came the reply. “I’m guessing you got our note, I’m so glad you called. I’m Angela.”


“Hello, Angela. Yes, thank you very much for the note, that was really kind of you.” Annie didn’t know how to ask for a favour from an almost stranger, but they had offered. “I’m sorry to call, but I’m having a bit of trouble getting out and about at the moment and I wondered if you’d be able to pick up some cat food for me? Just whenever you’re next at the shops, or don’t worry about it if you’re busy.”


“Oh, of course!” Angela exclaimed. “I was going to pop out this afternoon so I’ll happily grab you some. I was thinking of getting a few bits for your neighbour actually, I don’t want him going hungry over there all by himself. Is there a particular type of cat food you’d like?”


Annie gave her the details and thanked her several times before saying goodbye and putting the phone down.


A few hours later there was a knock at the door. Annie had already been out a little earlier to tape an envelope to the front door. She’d written a thank you note and enclosed the money for the cat food. She’d hoped Angela would see the note and leave the food, but maybe there was a problem. Annie hadn’t showered for a few days, and she was still wearing her pyjamas, but she opened the door reluctantly. 


“Hello Annie!” exclaimed Angela from the bottom of the front path. “Sorry to disturb you. I’ve tried knocking on next door, but Henry must be out in the garden because he’s not answering. Would you be able to see if he’s around and pass him the blue bag over your fence?” She gestured to the bags on Annie’s front step. “There’s a few things that need to go in the fridge so I don’t really want to leave it sitting out.”


“Oh yes, of course,” replied Annie. It was the least she could do, even if she wasn’t really up for talking to anyone else today. 


“The white bag is your cat food, I got the envelope off the door, thanks.” Angela had a lovely friendly smile, and Annie was pleased that she’d plucked up the courage to call the Matthews’ house earlier.


Angela turned and gestured a wave over her shoulder.


“Call us if you need anything, love.”


Annie took both bags back inside and, having deposited the cat food on the kitchen counter, made her way through to the back door. She took a quick peek inside the bag. Scones, clotted cream, jam, milk, tea bags. How lovely.


Annie had never spoken to Henry before. Though they’d been neighbours for a few years, they’d only really exchanged a few nods and smiles. Annie worked night shifts at the hospital and Henry was often already on his morning walks as she was coming home to sleep. She peeked through the trellis, rising up onto her tiptoes in her slippered feet. 


Henry had just come out to start his afternoon of gardening when he saw a flash of colour from the trellis. Then he heard someone clear their throat and a little voice piped up.


“Erm, hello? Sorry excuse me, Henry is it?” Annie asked, a bit unsure. 


“Hello? Everything alright?” he replied. His voice was strong and warm. 


“Oh, hi!” she continued, a little more confidently. “I’ve got a bag of goodies for you from the Matthews. Angela tried your door, but I guess you can’t hear it from the garden.”


“Well really,” Henry said with a chuckle. “How thoughtful. I didn’t ask for anything, though it was lovely of the boys to put the note through the door. Did you get one too?”


“Yes I did, they brought some cat food over so we’re all set now.” Annie stepped up on to the railway sleeper that bordered her flower bed so she could see Henry over the top of the fence.


“Oh, hello, I can see you now.”


“Well hello there,” Henry looked up and smiled. “I’m glad you’ve got your cat food. My cat’s very particular about her dinner so I’m pleased I stocked up last week!”


“Yes mine too,” agreed Annie. “She’ll be happy to see she’s still being catered to even with everything going on. I’ll hook your bag over the fence and you can grab it, social distancing and all that!”


Annie attached the plastic handles to the post and began to walk back to the door when Henry called out.


“Oh how delicious, you can’t beat a scone and a cup of tea. I can’t possibly eat all of this, dear. I’ll take some out and you can have the rest. It’ll be like we’re sharing a meal of sorts!”


Before Annie could respond, Henry had dropped the bag back on to the fence post for her to collect.


“Well thank you, Henry. That’s very kind. And here comes Her Majesty Molly the cat, she must have heard us talking about food!”


Molly was making her way down the fence between the two gardens, glancing backwards and forwards between her two audiences.


“And here comes my Jinx too,” replied Henry. “She’ll be after the clotted cream, just you see.”


“Oh, let me get back up on the sleeper so I can see her,” said Annie, jumping up for a better look.


“She’s right on top of the fence there, dear, walking down between us,” Henry responded, pointing to Molly.


“Henry,” Annie replied. “I think we have a lot to discuss over tea and scones.”


April 22, 2020 16:40

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Garima Batra
08:35 Apr 30, 2020

Wow. A great amalgamation of quarantine and loneliness. People are definitely bonding now and this is a great story.

Reply

Sam Fisher
08:50 May 05, 2020

Thank you Garima, really appreciate you taking the time to read it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.