Integrity, accountability and transparency

Submitted into Contest #223 in response to: Write about a student reporter uncovering a university scandal.... view prompt

1 comment

Adventure Crime Contemporary

In the heart of a bustling university town, nestled among century-old oak trees and grandiose architecture, stands the Prestige University. For years, its hallowed halls were revered for fostering academic excellence and nurturing the brightest minds. However, the quiet facade of this revered institution would soon be shattered by a scandal that would shake its own foundations.

The crisp autumn wind blows across campus, where student life moves at a frenetic pace. However, beneath the veneer of academic excellence, a scandal still covered up by senior university authorities would greatly disrupt the entire organization.

On November 25, 2022, the scandal was revealed. An anonymous whistleblower had disclosed a series of incriminating documents by hacking the University blog. These documents revealed a vast system of academic fraud that quietly thrived within the University's elite circles.

Two days later, it was in all the regional and national newspapers. The scandal, now known as the "Prestige Academic Scam," exposed a network of corrupt professors and administrators who were complicit in manipulating grades, falsifying research data and even accepting bribes - wine from students in exchange for preferential treatment.

At the heart of this storm is Sarah Collins, an ambitious journalism student. Her curious nature and unwavering determination led her, too, to stumble upon a series of irregularities. She shared her discovery in the paper journal of which she is one of the editors-in-chief. By agreeing with the mysterious vigilante, she did not imagine that she would have to face strong and powerful adversaries. His life is now under threat of death.

What began as a routine assignment as part of his investigative journalism class quickly transformed into a relentless quest for the truth.

It all started with a tip from a disillusioned professor, Dr. Thomas Kingston, who had been subtly pushed into early retirement after raising concerns about questionable financial dealings within the university's endowment fund.

Sarah, whose sense of responsibility weighed heavily on her shoulders, meticulously combed financial records, secretly interviewed former faculty members, and even risked her own academic status to obtain confidential documents that painted a disconcerting picture of embezzlement and embezzlement.

Over time, as Sarah delved deeper into the labyrinth of deception, she encountered constant resistance. She was no longer safe anywhere. At her office, she received threatening anonymous calls. She discovered that she was being tapped. His computer was hacked. Until one day, his office was massively ransacked. On one of the walls, in red paint, we could read: If you publish your paper again, we will kill you.

In the aftermath of the scandal, when Sarah published her paper, despite the threats, Sarah's courage and tenacity earned her praise from students and professors. She has even received some praise from the professional journalism community, including those from famous journalist James C. Carrey.

But now that it was done, Sarah was overcome by doubt and regret. She was afraid. She asked for help from the police to protect her. It was not easy to convince them of the real danger.

Despite the police protection obtained, Sarah had the fright of her life when one night, an armed man, dressed all in black, broke into her home and attempted to kill her with a knife.

She narrowly escaped this crime when one of the police officers outside, who was guarding the house, came to her aid. The thug could not be arrested. He fled and could not be found and arrested.

She had to hide out in a seedy motel outside of town, slightly ruining her academic career. Fortunately, he had his best friend and sidekick at the newspaper, Alexandre, who helped him with his studies and his investigation.

Alexander knew how to foil the subterfuges of the bad guys who wanted Sarah's life. When Sarah asked him how he did it, he stupidly replied that it was thanks to the many action films he watched, including The Pelican Affair and Jackie Chan films.

The days followed one another. Sarah was discouraged, disillusioned by the government, justice and academic system which was far from being on her side in knowing the truth and arresting the guilty. Nevertheless, she continued her work as a journalist. She firmly believed that this would all end if she followed through. She would definitely be able to return home soon, she thought.

His breakthrough came in the form of an email chain that implicated several senior officials, including the university's dean and a prominent member of the board of trustees, in a complex scheme to divert funds intended for scholarships to overseas accounts. The scandal, it seemed, went well beyond a simple problem of financial mismanagement; it was a betrayal of the trust placed in the university by its students and the entire university community.

Sarah's meticulously written presentation, published again in the university's student newspaper, caused an even greater shockwave than she expected on campus and beyond.

The report sparked widespread protests, calls for resignation and a formal investigation by state authorities. While the University initially attempted to suppress the allegations, the outcry and mounting evidence forced the administration to confront the truth and take the necessary steps to repair the damage. There were several arrests including the rector Ms Sophie Brindamour.

Then, Sarah, cell in hand, scrolling on Facebook, came across an astonishing publication from the day before. She didn't know this news. The news was mourned with hot tears. The publication was written by the rector of the University, Ms. Sophie Brindamour and it went as follows:

The terrible announcement came this morning... We are speechless...

Professor Monteiro was passionate, a good man and we will miss him greatly. Our sincere sympathies to his loved ones and his family... On my personal behalf, as well as all the student and teaching bodies and members of the management of Prestige University would like to pay tribute to the director and editor-in-chief of the journal of the University, Professor José Monteiro.

In the newspaper :

The professor was found dead at his home by his wife last night. The police discovered the lifeless body of the fifty-year-old man lying on the ground. Speculation is rife about the circumstances of his death. By all appearances, this looks like suicide, but nothing is certain.

Ms. Monteiro does not believe in this theory, according to her, it is an assassination. The police are investigating.

Obviously, this served as a wake-up call for the Institution, which had to reevaluate its ethical standards and governance practices.

Sarah followed the rector's trial closely and took part in it by being a witness for the prosecution. After months of relentless investigations, testimonies, and documents collected, Sarah ended up discovering that it was Monteiro the mysterious vigilante who had published anonymously in the University directory. Madame Brindamour found out, God knows how, and she killed him out of revenge.

Following this, surveillance and subtle warnings from powerful figures associated with the University became commonplace. However, undeterred by the mounting pressure, Sarah drew inspiration from the very values ​​the institution claimed to uphold — integrity, accountability and transparency.

Her journey as a student as a defender of transparency and justice ended up being rewarded by receiving numerous awards of excellence, medals of honor and several scholarships to continue her studies and be able to begin her career as a journalist in the good footing.

The most important thing was that she was finally able to return home without fearing anything or anyone.

His hard work left an indelible mark on the University and inspired a new generation of journalists to fearlessly pursue the truth, regardless of the obstacles placed in their way.

November 08, 2023 04:08

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

05:00 Nov 16, 2023

This is a great story and like any story could have been written in a variety of ways. If it had been written in present tense it could have been written in a less tell and more show way. Your wonderful story (love the description at the start) has no dialogue. Even a flash back with dialogue can break up paragraph after paragraph of text. It can also be a means of adding more specific detail. All the best as you write some more interesting stories.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.