Navigating Wasteland

Submitted into Contest #58 in response to: Write a story about someone feeling powerless.... view prompt

0 comments

Drama

«When this company started, down in the little poor alleys of the city, nobody would have anticipated it would reach the level of success it is in today. And nor we could predict it would become a model for the rest of corporations in Japan and an aspiration for the upcoming generation. 35 years have passed and we still continue down the same road of success and prosperity as when we first started. No one is to be thanked more in this journey than Mr. Izumi Jakamoto.»


There is a strong round of applause throughout the whole room, as the words fill our glasses with the sweetest wine of pride. The whole room is paying tribute to all the hard work and achievements we put forth in the last few years, and the eyes are all turned and focused on my father. The person that built this company when he was only 18 years old. The venue is filled with big round tables dispersed throughout the whole room that is quite large to fit the big portion of people that constitute the organization. As they continue their applaud the speaker raises his voice even further.


«Mr. Jakamoto built this company from level zero and managed to get it to number one with the sheer strength of his work. Now it's the first company in sales and distribution of tech equipment in the whole of Japan and will continue to be the first choice of customers for the years to come. Speaking of everyone in this room Mr. Jakamoto, we all own to you a big thank you.»


People continued to applaud and yell as they raise up in the room to show their respect. A big moment for an honorable achievement and a turbulent career that ended up in a big success. Or so it seems at least. What people don't know yet, is that the company is facing the biggest losses till its beginning, 35 years ago. It's only a matter of time before the news burst out into the world and disaster visit us right in our homes. What seems to be the most immaculate piece of heavenish art will break down into pieces and fall in our heads like glass-rain from the sky. But for the time being, I enjoy my little champagne with a joyful smile as people come and greet us in person.



***



A few days later, I and my brother are gathered in my father's office as we discuss our next steps. 50% of the company is going to vanish in thin air within a few days and God knows what an impact that event will have on our name and the company. Things are as unstable as walking on thin ice with glistening shoes. Any wrong move and could be a complete disaster. Any thrust and you would find yourself in the ground with the ice breaking all around, as you are falling right into the hole. For the moment we are the only 3 people that are aware of the situation as my brother is the financial advisor and I have control of the books. And we have taken extra care to keep the information from rashing out, as the replications of such an act could be devastating.


«We can't withstand the number of people we employ anymore. We need to lay them off as soon as possible." he momentarily glances at me as he continues on. "What's the reason for delaying it if it's about to happen anyway...» my brother's question falls in the room as a little bomb nobody wants to face. He is dressed in a dark blue suit and sits on the opposite side of my father's office right next to me as we face our father that sits back in his big leather chair and seems kinda fuzzy..maybe a bit unfocused sort of. My father takes a few seconds before he turns over to us. 


«Jiro, you can't expect me to take such a harsh decision in a split of a second, do you?» he glances at his papers as he swirls the pencil in his fingers. «The lives of so many people are at stake at this very moment. People with families and debts...like us. We have to do the best we can for them.»


My brother grins his eyebrows as he raises from his sit in frustration. «Father, there is nothing we can do at this point. We need to cut the expenses and we need to do it fast...I'm sorry but there is nothing else we can do...» he said as he ducked his head downwards. It was a harsh moment for all of us and we all knew we would either face the elephant in the room or hide the truth and face the worse. Hopefully, my father would be in a position to see this fact and act accordingly.


«When I began this company 35 years ago I wanted it to be something great. Something people would look up to and be inspired by it, for something better. Sales..money..expansion..they all came so fast. We had to consolidate our next moves with extra thought on what we would do with all that cash.»


«You did an amazing job with the company father» said my brother whispery.


«I know I did.» he uttered. «And it would continue to do well if it wasn't for...this abomination. The Aiko cooperation and all their greedy expansion. Through all their dirty game and all the mud they threw at us, they managed to make their way up. And now we have to cut off everything we've built on so far. All thanks to them.»


«Father, we have already a strong plan on how to catch up to them. I promise you it won't be long till..»


«That's enough..» my father cut him off. «Prepare a meeting with the board members and arrange a gathering with the whole company later in the day. We are gonna have the announcement today...»


***


- A few months later -


It's Sunday and I have visited the little library in the outer part of the town. This is a little treasure I discovered a little while back and has become some sort of a custom for me. It's a little two store building that extends out with big curvy lines that are filled with repeated dark wooden corridors. Dim-lighted and filled with the rusty smell of old decomposing books. It has few people in it to be quiet and enough room to sit and spend your beautiful morning reading through classic literature. A subject for which there is a dedicated full section on and that is the part I spent the most time in. 18th-century novels, historic pieces of art, and anything else you may think of exists somewhere in there. And I don't know why but this time travel through old stories seems to have pulled a string inside me lately.


«Yui..this is you right? You are Yui?» a tall man pointed at me as I was probing through some medieval hard-cover classics. Dark hair, wide shoulder, boyish innocent expression, he looks a bit too charming to be true.


«Yes, that's me» I responded timidly.


«Hey, this is Kazue. You probably don't remember me..» he darted his eyes away in shyness.


«Ohh wait I do know you..» I respond with excitement just before I realize who he really is. «You are Kazue. Kitchi's boyfriend..» and my face drops heavy and unarmed as the connection sparks in my head. Kazue was my best friend's boyfriend that died 4 months ago. I used to spend lots of time with her and at that point in time, she was in a relationship and deeply in love with him. As young as she might had been, her heart just stopped beating one sorrow afternoon without any explanation or warning. Kazue who was the person to call the police, was found frozen in shock when they arrived. «It's one of those things that happen very rarely,» said the doctors as they were scratching their heads. But there was nothing left to do to save her.



«That's right...Time passes so fast. I didn't know you were a fan of classics. Do you come here often?» he said scratching his head.


«Yes, I actually do. I love this place..» 


«Well in that case I think you are gonna love this little thing right here.» he turned back and pulled a book out from the shelves. «Paradise Lost by John Milton. My favorite. I think you should give it a go.» he said as he delivered it over to me. 


«Sure, I will have a look» I said as I playfully skimmed through both sides. 


«You certainly do that. It was nice meeting you. I might catch you around here at some point,» he said as we greeted each other.


He seemed like a nice guy but it was as if there was a whole other world he wouldn't speak about. Yui would always complain about how busy he was and how little time he would allocate on them. He was like those old mystery books with the old riddles. All so elusively simple yet so hard to solve. And no matter what he looked like, he would always give me the impression that he hides something behind the surface.


The next week that I visited the library, I saw him sitting over one of the little table corners of the history section immersed into a book the size of an encyclopedia. In his usual boyish sweater clothing, he looked more like a student working on his assignment than a real grown-up. I talked to him and we ended up spending our reading session together. We bought hot coffee and muffins and we exchanged views on literature subjects and history that seemed to be a favorite subject for both. It's always so nice to find people that share your interests and you can have a real conversation with. It was one of those rare occasions that I really enjoyed spending time with someone all while guilt started knocking on my door and questions started rising for all the consequences of my acts. What would it account for if I was to let this move into more than just a library session? The guy standing right opposite me with the big bone glasses and electrified sweater used to be the boyfriend of my best friend. A best friend that died in the most tragic of ways and I still ache every time I bring my mind to it. How could I allow things to move on with the person she used to be in love with? How could I permit to be touched by the hands I know used to lie on the hair of my friend's. So many questions yet here I was spending time with him and becoming more and more engaged with every passing minute.



We spent the whole day together and so it came that we repeated the session the next few Sundays. We became accustomed to each other's presence, as we would sit opposite each other in the lonely shadows of the library. It wasn't long till the time came that he asked me to spend time outside the comfort zone of books. I knew it was insane. I knew it was madness waiting around the corner to catch up in my head with guilty looks but somehow I agreed. And so we started dating and growing intimate with each other. The first time he kissed me he looked up in my eyes and asked me a serious question with the timidest, saddest look I had ever encountered. 


«Yui, I know Kaito used to be your best friend. I know she meant a lot to you and there is not a day passing that I don't remember her and bliss on having her picture in my mind. But is it wrong for two people to find love even under such conditions? Is it wrong if I admit that I have feelings for you?»


And he was right to be anxious because so was I for every minute I would spend with him and the feelings that would grow stronger and stronger.


But as time passed and we forged a stronger relationship, I learned something that threw me completely off my sit. One day as I was pecking over his office I happened to notice a little document with a strange title in it. 


«Mr. Kazue Hashimoto to be the next distinctive president of Aiko cooperation.» 


A blow out of blue sky, that fell down upon my head with full force. I couldn't believe my eyes or my mind. Kazue was the son of the original creator of Aiko, the sole nemesis of my father and swore enemy of my family. I would prefer to give my life than let this fact be known to my father as I knew how much it would mean to him. It was like being in a relationship with the person that is trying to destroy everything you have strived for your whole life. How stupid of me not to think about looking more about him and his past? How could I let this sleep out my hands? After this, it would be very hard for us to continue to be together. But then another thought hit me. Kazue knew who I was fairly well but never let me know about it. He knew what was my position and decided to hide it on purpose. What was he after really? What kind of game was he playing? I decided to hide my findings until I figured out what was going on.


***


For a long time, I held my mouth shut while I wanted to scream. I bowed when I wanted to rise and hit him with all the power I got. How could he do such a thing? And then things started connecting out, as pieces of the puzzle glued together one after the other. I realized that Aiko was always one step ahead of us at times that would be impossible for them to be. They would make deals with people that we were targeting first. They would plan out ideas publicly that we first had the intention of implementing. Somehow they seemed so eligible to all our plans that was a constant question hanging around constantly. And now that I got to face Kazue I cannot help but ask myself. Could it be him gaining all this information through the various connections he had? Gaining access first to their hearts and homes and then to their data as well? Could it be that Kazue approached Kitchi just to gain access to us and in that case..what if she actually found out about it and Kazue stopped her from getting it out there and reaching for help? What if Kitchi was killed by him and not by a physical cause? I could not help but dig more into this. I had no other way but indulge in my suspicions for the good of everyone I ever loved. Kitchi, my father...my whole family...


***


«Honey, Is everything fine? You don't seem very well lately?» Kazue asked me as I was skimming through my phone. His hand landed on my left shoulder cutting me off my thoughts abruptly.


«Yes, sure it is, why do you ask?» I acted ignorantly trying to slash him off.


«I don't know you just seem a bit...off the last few days. I wanted to make sure there is nothing bothering you in work or something..» he said as he sat right across me with his hands tight in the middle of his knees.


«Ohh that is such a sweet thought of you» I smiled. «It must have been that last project we got cause it keeps us busy quite a lot.» I said playfully. «Show me another technical paper and I swear I might consider quitting for good..» I said with a calm voice as we both laughed. It surely wasn't the best lie but it seemed to hold him at peace temporarily.



Meanwhile, through his correspondence, I managed to find some data on their forthcoming plans. Every little move was designed by them to encompass everything my father's company was doing. Their plan was to extend in such a way that would overlap our every branch of operation. If that wasn't a clear sign of their information-digging and competitive plans then I don't know what was. Money? Glory? Domination? whatever was triggering their action it was definitely very purposeful. And I had to make sure I wouldn't raise any suspicion on him before I was able to find more concrete evidence.


***


Unfortunately through the worst thing happened. One day father called me in his office and from his face I could tell something had gone terribly wrong.


«Yui, you know how much I love you don't you?»


«Father of course I do. And I love you too you know that.» I responded as my heart was pounded in my chest like crazy. I could tell that behind his usual austere attitude lied something strong he was about to unleash. He raised up with his hands behind his back and walked over the right side of the wall, observing the numerous pictures. They were all depictions of ancient Japanese symbols of honor and strong will he had gathered very diligently and some of which were inherited from his parents.


«You know I always tried to give the best I got for this family. I did the best I could for you to have the best possible life a person can have. Did you ever had anything amiss in your life that was not there while it should?»


«No father. Of course not. I always had everything a kid could ever dream for. You supplied for all of us with the same love and care that only the luckiest people could ever have.»


«I see..» he said as he nodded his with compacted lips. «Then how could you treat me with such a horrible and despicable way that would only suit the worst kind of human being?» his question was calm contrasting the poignancy of the content.


«What? Father, what do you mean? I would never have..»


«You are in a relationship with Kazue Hashimoto. You know who this man is don't you?» he asked the question trying to defer a pledge of my knowledge. And I could not consider any other response than ducking my head downwards.


«Of course you do. You knew all along and you still decided to continue being with him.» 


The moment he eradicated all doubt he quickly turned his head on the side averting his look from me.


«How could you do something like this? Don't you know the pain this man has caused us? On your family? This is like turning against your own blood» he yelled.


«Father I'm sorry, I...»


«Stop it! I don't want to hear any of it. You betrayed your own family and so you have no space in here anymore. I don't want to see any of you or speak to you from now.»


Tears started running down on my face and I knew I could not let him into any of the actual reasons I stayed with Kazue. 


«Father it's not what you think. I hope I could explain it to you but..»


«There will be no need for this anymore. Help yourself out..» he said as he pointed at the door. And I could barely hold my heart from bursting out as I walked out of the room.


***


A devastating blow. For the next period, I was exiled from my own family and lived together with a man that was secretly working against us. I didn't know where to look for someone to trust. I was completely alone, yet I knew I had to finish what I started. I had to keep going no matter how hard it was. 


For the next few days, I would continue looking for things that proved my theory. There had to be something to showcase the fact that I was right. I could feel secret plans under the sweet facade Kazue had worked so hard to build, yet it would all equal a cloud in the sky unless something concrete would come my way. I only had to find some evidence to be in a position to make my case and I needed more time for this. But unfortunately, another surprise was waiting for me right around the corner. My credit cards and bank accounts were all canceled by my father. He made sure I got hold off from any access to the resources I had in relation to him or the company. No money or cash was left on my name other than a few savings I had on my bag. Time was closing up and I had to move fast or the worst was about to take place.


One random day that he was away from home I got the opportunity to invade his office and look inside his computer. Through my password, he had managed to penetrate the private files of the company accessing every document and email that was ever transmitted through the servers. He had a separate disc to keep all the data in a backup storage and all the elements to know our every move or plan the moment we got anything in written form. I decided to gather all the data as proof. Still though it wasn't enough to put him in jail as It was all subject to interpretation if the case was brought to court. The only substantial proof was to make him admit his deeds and record him doing it. So I kept all the data under an account held by my name and set up a recorder with a message in case anything bad would happen to me. Inside it, I had specific directions and details about my findings together with directions in case I was unable to act within time. I was about to confront him face to face and I was ready for all possible outcomes.


***


I set up a video recorder and waited up for him to return. There was nothing I could do but let him know about my findings and allow him the opportunity to trap himself on his own. 


As he got inside the house he found me sitting in the armchair staring over at him seriously.


«Honey? What's up?» he said as he let his keys over the little table. «You seem rather..serious». He took off the jacket and rubbed off the situation with a smile.


«I want us to talk,» I said in a heavy tone observing him as his smile vanished within a second. 


«You want to talk, I thought we had everything settled here» he joked around but turned to serious again once he saw that I remained unaffected by it.


«Sure honey, shoot up. What's up?» he said and sat opposite to me.


«I know what you've been doing. I know you are following me just to get information for your business and fulfill your little plan. I know it all. No need to hide it anymore.»


He seemed rather shocked in the beginning but tried to slip away by marking it as irrational.


«Honey how do you get these ideas. Yes, I may be working for Akoi and sure maybe I withheld the fact from you but I only did it because I knew it would influence you and you would put an end.» He leaned forward. «And we both know what a shame that would be, don't we?».


«I have your disc as well.»


«You what?»


«You heard me..» this last piece of information seemed to put him off guard as it made the point I was really serious about it.


«And you have the courage to come and tell me about it? That's quite bolshie..»


«You were stealing information from us all along. That's the reason you got involved with Kitchi as well. To gain insider info. But once she passed away you run out and thought to find a new source for it. Am I right?»


«Well let me think about it.» he raised up and started approaching me. «The data part well..that may be true. But that doesn't erase all the good moments we had together honey» He came really close to me touching my cheek with his. «Too bad you had to put an end on this like this..» he whispered in my ear and laid me down tying my hands. I screamed to let me go but he wouldn't listen.


«You were behind everything all along weren't you? You were the one to hurt Kitchi.» I yelled.


«Ohh why don't you calm down now,» he said. «You see she was like you. She liked to snoop around and search things she had no business to. She gave me no choice but to put her out of the way.»


«You bastard..» I screamed from the top of my lungs. And as I was fighting him to let me loose he put out a gun, he screwed a silencer on top of it and pointed right at me.


«Do it you son of a bitch. Do it» I yelled. And he shot me hitting me right in the side of my head, putting me into a coma for a full year. That was the last thing I remember to an otherwise blank space in time. When I woke up I only found my father standing on the side of my bed asleep in his chair. And so it came that the day he almost got my life, was the day he gave me a new one...




September 11, 2020 20:07

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.