A LEAP OF FAITH

Submitted into Contest #89 in response to: Start your story with a character taking a leap of faith.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction Adventure Christian

I could already disclose to it will be truly difficult to write in this scratch pad while this moronic transport is bobbing everywhere on the interstate, yet I must arrangement with it since I have effectively been riding this thing two or three days, and I must discover something to do with my hands, also my psyche, while these unlimited miles and unlimited hours continue to move by steadily. I am headed toward start an entirely different life in a totally different spot, so I figured it would be the ideal opportunity to begin composing a diary. Along these lines, the last time when we halted at that Stuckey's and the driver was having a cigarette, I ran in and purchased this journal and this pen and this will be where I can record every one of the musings and dreams that go through my mind each day. 

Along these lines, since this is the primary page of my new diary, I surmise I ought to record every one of the essential realities about me which you probably won't know. I'm 22 years of age. My name is Maria Smyth, albeit as of recently or two back it was Maria Smith. Yet, I figured that since I was beginning this new life, I should have another, all things considered, kind of new, name to go with it. Truly, however, nobody understands what my genuine name is, on the grounds that I was a foundling and I was brought up in a Catholic shelter in my old neighborhood of St. Kwiatoslaw, South Dakota. Someone left me in a crate at the police headquarters when I was only a little while old, so they gave me the last name of "Smith" and they called me "Maria" after Sheriff Banaszek's better half. He was the person who discovered me in the bin. Thus, when I hopped on this transport a couple of days prior, I chose to energize my name a little by spelling it with a "y" despite the fact that I'm actually going to articulate it "Smith". 

For as long as three years or so I have filled in as a clinical transcriptionist and once in a while office aide at the workplace of Dr. Leonard Pigeon, who is a sort of unnerving and unsavory man, however who is an unmistakable Ear, Nose and Throat expert in St. Kwiatoslaw. My number one thing on the planet is films. I didn't actually have a family when I was growing up; different children in the shelter traveled every which way excessively fast, truly, to become acquainted with. Furthermore, the nuns were all essentially on their own excursion, being Brides of Christ and really focusing on the Poor, to truly think often a lot about me. Thus, I invested a ton of energy watching motion pictures on the TV set in the pitiable "rec room" of the halfway house. From the start, it was only the old high contrast films that the nuns had lying around, however then during the 90s when everything was exchanging over to DVD, the Blockbuster Video around gave all their VHS tapes to the shelter. I have never been on a genuine date, yet I have seen each film at any point produced using a Nicholas Sparks book, so I have a feeling that I've been infatuated many occasions! 

My #1 film ever is "The Sound of Music", in light of the fact that Julie Andrews' name was "Maria" in that film and she resembled, caught in a religious circle loaded with nuns until she could break out and hurry to the highest point of an Alp where she could whirl and spin and sing and let her face get scorched by the sun. That is the way I felt now and then when I was a young lady so I generally cherished that film. What's more, when the nuns were singing "How would you tackle an issue like Maria?" I generally envisioned that was the way the Sisters were discussing me when I wasn't anywhere near; that despite the fact that I appeared to be timid and plain and exhausting to everybody around me, in all actuality I was something exceptional and ethereal like a moonbeam. 

At any rate, when I at long last turned 18 I had the option to move out of the shelter. The sisters set me up with a task at a hiring office, and had tracked down a little proficiency condo for me down on Babetski road up and over of a laundry. A few months, I landed this temp position at Dr. Pigeon's, yet the woman I was supplanting, who was simply expected to be an extended get-away, called one morning and, as per Becky the assistant, told Dr. Pigeon to "push it up his butt." So, they requested that I stay on and I have been working there from that point forward. Indeed, a few days prior at any rate. 

The town I live in, St. Kwiatoslaw, is a truly unassuming community in the northwest corner of South Dakota. There is a neighborhood joke which resembles "I'd prefer be in northwest South Dakota than southeast North Dakota!" however I don't actually believe that it's actual clever, so I don't utilize it frequently. In any case, St. Kwiatoslaw is something like 98% Polish. That is OK with me, I don't have anything against Polish individuals, aside from possibly their last names, which are throughout the entire truly and loaded with an excessive number of z's and k's and y's and things. Like in the event that I was Polish, it would spell my name Smyth Sczmythczkie or something. Some of the time when Becky goes on lunch I need to pick up the telephone for her and that is the point at which it very well may be a genuine issue. Somebody will call up and request to make an arrangement for somebody whose name seems like "Mr. Mxyzptlk" and afterward they get all crabby when I'd request that they spell it for me. Or on the other hand in some cases when they would come in to the workplace I would peer down to see their names written in the arrangement record, I would need to gaze upward and imagine that I had experienced childhood in the house nearby to them and say, "Great Morning, Mrs. J! Why not sit down?" It ordinarily wasn't an issue, aside from this one old bi*h who had a hyphenated last name, so I just called her by her first name. "Hello, Kunegunda!" I said, yet I more likely than not articulated it wrong or something since she whined to the specialist about my "demeanor". Anyway, can't satisfy everybody. 

At any rate, everything two or three days prior on Wednesday. It was the gala day of St. Kwiatoslaw, which resembles the greatest arrangement of the year in our town. All the Polish individuals around assemble at the congregation for a unique Mass, and after that they all return home, eat a major feast of root vegetables, become inebriated and nod off before the TV. I might have gone in the event that I needed, yet truly, following 18 years in the halfway house with the Little Sisters of St. Cecilia, the last spot I need to go is a congregation. 

The workplace was practically vacant that day. Most places were shut, however Dr. Pigeon isn't Polish and he doesn't live in St. Kwiatoslaw in any case. Thus, the solitary individuals there were the specialist, me, and Matt, the doctor's partner, who is the lone other non-Polish individual in the workplace. Matt is a truly decent person however he's been truly nervous of late in light of the fact that his better half is pregnant and she's pretty much as large as a house and she resembles fourteen days late. We weren't exceptionally occupied, indeed, the solitary patient was a woman whose spouse had called that early daytime inquiring as to whether we could accommodate her in with some kind of "crisis". Her name was Mrs. Niedzielski and she was a short, squat, cartoon of a lady with a colossal nose, and a head of brilliant, bold red hair regardless of the way that she was very much into her seventies. Her hair stood straight up from her head and when she strolled into the workplace everything I could consider was the "Warmth Miser" from that Christmas unique they show each year. 

In any case, Mrs. Niedzielski had been in the test space for some time and I was ordering some quiet records when out of nowhere, Matt came running out and snatched his coat. He actually had the elastic gloves on all fours I could hear as he ran out the entryway was something about his significant other's water breaking. 

I should disclose to you that regarding things like infants, and where they come from, I am gullible, in a manner of speaking. The Little Sister of St. Cecilia wasn't much in the method of Sex Ed. In this way, I'm not 100% sure what her "water breaking" signifies, yet I'm genuinely sure it had something to do with the child at long last being as its would prefer. 

A couple of moments later, I heard the flourishing voice of Dr. Pigeon from the test room. "Smith!" he shouted, "Get in here! Presently!" 

This has consistently been something I've kind of feared on the grounds that Dr. Pigeon is a truly mean man and I truly don't prefer to be hollered at. Thus, I said, "Umm, indeed, Doctor," in a voice so low that he most likely couldn't hear me, put my grinds down flawlessly and strolled over to the test room. I thumped delicately on the entryway before I entered, despite the fact that it was at that point open. "Umm, yes..?" I said. 

I investigated and saw Mrs. Warmth Miser unconscious on the test table, an IV dribble suspended close to her. I saw there was a major wad of gum adhered to the lower part of her shoe. 

"Goddam it, Smith, get here! I need you to brace this present lady's uvula!" he blast at me, waving some sort of clinical instrument at me as he hollered. I faltered briefly, yet then I discovered my mental fortitude and took the instrument from the specialist's hand. I peered down at Mrs. Niedzielsky. She lay there, her horrendous red hair now in tangled bunches, her mouth agape. She didn't have a solitary tooth in her mouth; her false teeth were sitting in a cup on the opposite side of the room. The specialist had pulled the test light right up front, enlightening her shocking, innocuous smile, and that is the point at which I saw it. Her uvula, that is. The little piece of suspended tissue at the rear of Mrs. Niedzielski's mouth had become furious and swollen, and when I saw it, it looked large and red and dreadful like a radish with beating veins, and on the off chance that I didn't realize better I would have sworn it had a face like the bubble on that person's neck in "How to Get Ahead in Advertising". In this way, I shouted. I shouted like a young lady, as Jamie Lee Curtis in "Halloween". I shouted so uproarious, clearly, that my shout slice through whatever sedative fog the specialist had put Mrs. Niedzielski under and she sat straight up, hitting her head with a break on the test light. By then, she fell down onto the test table, oblivious, a slight stream of blood starting to move from the enormous cut in her temple. Dr. Pigeon went to me with rage in his eyes. 

"Get out!" he hollered at me, little chunks of spit framing toward the edges of his mouth. "Get the f**

April 10, 2021 11:26

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.