0 comments

Adventure Friendship Inspirational

The room was quiet, all you could hear was the wooshing of a fan as well as a book crinkling. Two girls were sitting on the couch that was against the wall facing the tv screen. One had blonde hair and her friend had black hair. The blonde had her legs curled beside her while her head was stuck inside her favorite book. The black-haired friend was laying beside her playing a game on her phone.

   She looked over toward her friend who was gazing with such intense emotion on her face as she read her book. She could not understand how she could have the passion she does for reading. She calls out to her friend to get her attention. "Ava!" Her friend did not hear her. 

   She decides to kick her with one of her legs that was on her friend's lap. Ava glares at her as she rubs her arm that Rose kicked. "I was calling your name you seemed to have not heard me, so I decided to kick you to get your attention", Rose told her. 

   "Oh sorry I was caught up in a part in my story." Rose rolls her eyes as she smiles, "I can tell." Ava sticks her tongue out at her. Rose just laughs at her. "What was so important that you have to kick me to get my attention?" Rose looks at Ava with a pout and whines, "I am bored let us do something." 

   Ava turns her body toward Rose with her back touching the arm of the couch. Making Rose's legs fall off her lap. Rose sits up to look at Ava better, drawing her legs up to her chest. Causing her black, long hair to become a curtain around her. "Why not read a book I have plenty in my room you can choose from?"

   Rose looks at her like she lost her mind. "Ava, you have known me for years. Have I ever cared for reading?" Ava starts to laugh at that question. "Have you tried, and I mean actually tried not just read one page then gave up on it?"

   "Rose starts to explain her reason for that." "How could I enjoy something that does not have any pictures or entertainment to me?" "Ava just looks at her with amusement in her eyes." "Sweetie it is called imagination. You use it to understand what the book is explaining," Ava tells Rose. "I still do not care for it. I do not see how you can." 

   Ava has a thoughtful look on her face as she looks at Rose trying to contemplate how to explain what reading means to her. "A book is like a painting, movie, or song. All of it has emotion and explanation that an author is trying to explain to you. To show you what they are seeing in their head and wants you to see it for yourself." Ava notices that she has Rose's attention so she goes further into her explanation. 

   "In a movie, you see the movement, the emotion, as well as the environment those people are in. You see the pain and emotional torment they go through with the loss of a loved one or the tragic lifestyle they have grown up in. You can see the love and passion a couple has when they hold each other as they glide across the floor lost in each other's eyes." As Ava explains in detail Rose leans closer toward her without realizing because she is enchanted by what her friend is telling her. 

   "With a painting, most people just see a splash of color or figures on a board right?" Rose nods her head. "To someone who understands the painter and what they are trying to explain they see the pain, fear, and heartbreak they went through by looking at that one painting." Ava gets up from the couch, walks toward the coffee table on the other side of the room to grab her Bluetooth speaker. After she grabs it she goes back to the couch to sit next to Rose.

   Ava grabs her phone from her back pocket of her shorts to plug it up to her speaker. "Now when I play this song I want you to close your eyes and just listen. Notice what you start to feel when you hear it as well as what you start to imagine. Can you do that?" Rose nods her head letting Ava know she can do that.

     "Alright, here we go" Ava starts to play the song and Rose closes her eyes. Rose starts to imagine herself dancing with a tall and well-built man who is wearing gray breeches, a waistcoat with a short-skirt, and a royal blue coat with curving back fronts from the 1800s. He had sea-green eyes that she could get lost in. Black semi-curly hair she could run her hands through. Rose sees herself in a Blood red corset dress, and her hair curled as it flows down her back. 

    They glide across the floor in a ballroom that has a chandelier hanging from the ceiling. Windows all around the room. Tiles on the floor that is white and gold. The walls a beautiful brown color. People all around them dancing and having the best time. 

    The vision changed to herself on top of a giant Oaktree wearing a white sundress, her hair flowing from the breeze, and her feet barefoot. She is looking towards the beautiful sky that is colored in pink, orange, and yellow. You could see nothing for miles but the beautiful sky. The vision changes again to herself being in the rain in the middle of a garden filled with every flower you could imagine. It starts to thunderstorm and poor rain.

    She smiles and starts to laugh in joy even though her blue dress is getting wet. She tilts her head back, sticking her tongue out to taste the rain. She starts to notice as the visions change she feels emotions of love, lust, wonder, and joy. The song ends making her open her eyes to look at Ava. Ava sees into Rose's green eyes there is a ton of emotions in her eyes. Ava understands that Rose finally understands why she has such passion for reading. 

    "You finally get what I mean. A song is a book as well just with instruments. A movie is a book with pictures. Art is a book with colors and figures. It all tells you a story. A book is the same way with just words."

    "You just have to find the story that fits you." Rose looks at Ava in amazement. She tries to say something, but she is at a loss for words. Ava laughs at Rose's struggle."All you need to do is use your imagination like you did with the song. A book could be a great adventure" Ava told Rose.

January 30, 2021 02:34

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.