0 comments

Creative Nonfiction

It was January 2013, when I boarded a plane, and flew to North Idaho to be a caretaker for a small homestead. As the airplane made it's way more north, the landscape started showing me my possible future.

Looking out of the window from my seat, beautiful log cabins, and barns, and many recreation vehicles, for snow, and for trail riding came into view. I started seeing snow, and lakes, and beautiful trees. As I watched all of this, I was very sad. I longed to have something like that in my life. Then hope filled me about new possibilities. I watched as the plane came in to land, noticing how serene, and lovely this new place was, and suddenly was excited about what I would see and do next!

We off boarded, and as I'm walking down the ramp, I caught sight of my childhood friend who's homestead I'd be watching and caring for. He didn't see me, perfect! So far so good! I go to get my luggage, knowing he's behind me, and all of a sudden, all the sadness I had felt earlier, left me, and I happily embraced my friend!

He took me on a train ride to his city, and from there, the ride to his property. All the while, I'm seeing Eagles perched in trees, Elk walking in hurds, Deer jumping threw the snow, with their white fluffy tails straight up and wagging. Gorgeous rivers, that had the most amazing ice crystal formations. Trains coming and going on a two track system. People smiling, waving. There was real joy here!

Then we ascend up the mountain road to his home. If you've ever been on a country diet road, imagine that with snow! Oh my word, it was so lovely! The sparse neighbors all smiled and waved as we went by. I couldn't believe the feeling of belonging. I hadn't had that for a very long time. When we got to his home, you had to hike in with ski poles, as the snow was four feet deep just on the shoveled path.

He had a creek running threw the center of his property! It was an amazing sight! It had it's own ice formations, and little birds in the trees, chirping happily away.

I will never forget this day, as my whole life, and being, changed from then on. I was introduced to a lovely community, who were genuine, and full of compassion. Who welcomed me in with open arms, and were there truly, if I needed anything. This began the next chapter in my life, full of joy, love, peace, and promise. I never in a hundred years, expected what I was so warmly welcomed into. I've been told that best has yet to come, and you know, I'm so excited!

February 09, 2020 16:28

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.