122 comments

Mystery


I ran briskly through the backdoor of our house as I managed to escape from my mum. Where is this naughty girl? I heard my mum asked from the living room. I had worn three cardigans with my teddy bear hung round my neck fully prepared for work.

I forgot to introduce myself. I am Clara Bernard a junior nurse in Amelia Lewis Hospital (ALH). I am the intelligent one but the clumsiest nurse in the hospital. I was supposed to be a senior nurse but due to my clumsy nature, I am still in my present position. Some even see me as a psycho. My mum Mrs. Patricia is the Matron in charge of ALH.

Running through the back door, I headed for Debby’s house. She is my best friend and also a nurse in ALH as well. We left together for the hospital and when we arrived; Debby went to attend to the patient assigned to her while I sneaked into the room where “OUT OF BOUND” was placed on the door. I have been visiting my sleeping beauty for some days now.

Amelia Lewis the 1st has been in coma for six months and that was as a result of the ghastly motor accident she was involved in. she is betrothed to Hilary Howard the only heir to Hilary Howard Hospital (HHH) also known as the triple H Hospital and he is also the best Surgeon in New York. Mr. Alexander Lewis and Mr. Jeremy Howard have been very good friends in terms of business and personal relationship and hence, they decided to make the bond stronger by uniting their children.

I looked at the liquid dropping through the intravenous chemotherapy line and I noticed some changes in it. Phenobarbital was added to the drip and it’s an injection that weakens the body system and prevents the patient from waking up. I quickly threw the drip away replacing it with a new one.

Amelia’s POV

One month later, I woke up from coma and didn’t see my Clara; I was told she went to Cairo with my love. I don’t have any fear since I trust her. After two weeks, I was looking stronger so I resumed work against my dad’s wish. Many had happened in my absence and I must make sure I correct them.

I tried working but couldn’t concentrate. My shareholders want a merger to be introduced to give them the full assurance that their shares are okay and that is my marriage to Hilary. His dad and I went ahead to sign the marriage certificate in his absence because we thought things were still the same. Too many things are going on now and I feel so vulnerable for the first time in my life. My mum went missing after I went into coma, dad is sick and his health keeps deteriorating everyday, Tonia my step mum is turning my shareholders against me, Daniella my half-sister is fighting me because of Hilary so I decided to pay a surprised visit to Hilary in Cairo. I got there as early as possible and met them at home. I hugged Clara on seeing her and no doubt, she looks beautiful but I don’t think everything is alright. She seems moody seeing me flirting with Hilary. I confirmed everything from her diary.

I don’t think I can take this anymore Amelia Lewis the only heir to the Amelia Lewis Hospital (ALH) said amidst tears. She doesn’t cry and has never done that; that’s why she is called Amelia Lewis the 1st.

I don’t believe Clara can do this to me. I trusted her with my life; I saw her as the sister I never had and now all she could do is to take Hilary away from me even though she saved my life.

Lary how could you? After what we've shared, I thought you love me. How about the merger? I can’t loose my father’s property just like that; it’s my only inheritance and it’s what I have lived all my life for. You can’t break off the merger I said in tears as I packed my bags leaving the apartment.

Clara’s POV

I knew I was wrong to have fallen in love with Hilary but I couldn’t help it; there is this connection between us that I can’t resist. Following how I had disgraced him from the past because he mistakenly threw away my red bag which i call my Generation bag. It was hell working with him at first but after saving his life, and also saving him from a situation that would have tarnished his image and career forever and reuniting him with his mum, we became so close. I remembered when he entered into the fire just to save me. I risked my life entering the already burning office to get hidden files of patients whom he scheduled surgery for. Doctor Ken was jealous of him and decided to hide all the files regarding the patients.

After crying my eyes out, my phone started ringing and when I picked it up, it was Nurse Tamara. Clara you are ordered to return to New York within 24 hours.

I got to New York and headed for my house but on getting there; I broke into tears again seeing my mum and she consoled me telling me it’s going to be okay.

Amelia's POV

I know I shouldn’t have lied to Mr. Howard but I have to protect Clara even though I am angry with her. I have to do something fast before Mr. Howard gets to her. I know Hilary came back last night because of her and they are meeting at the beach this evening. I think my heart belongs to Steve my Ex and first love. Getting betrothed to Lary had separated us and I will have to look for a better way to break the merger since lots of drugs are being exchanged by my hospital and HHH within the past few weeks. I ordered my boys to demolish her father’s house and with that, they will have no option than to move to Manila before Mr. Howard gets to them.

Clara’s POV

My new life started in Manila after I had told Hilary I don’t love him anymore and our house demolished. Life wasn’t easy in Manila with my father left with nothing as his shop back in New York got burnt, mum sacked from work. We continued to live our peaceful life until Amelia showed up in our house pleading that she loves me and did all she did to protect me. I letter got to understand that she is dying of ovarian cancer and needed to go to Canada for surgery since Hilary doesn’t specialize in that field. She wants me to take control of the hospital till she gets back of which I accepted to help her. That night, we played in the moonlight like kids and I could see the pains in her eyes. She is really going through a lot.

I journeyed to New York the next day with a face mask identical to Amelia’s face and Amelia took the first flight to Canada for her surgery and I must confess that I will really miss her.

I walked gorgeously into the hospital after practicing Amelia’s lifestyle, working steps, and likes and many bowed their head greeting me. Some trembled on seeing me. They say my presence comes with an aura that is beyond human comprehension. I don’t blame them; Amelia was brought up that way. No childhood memories, just business and ruling. I headed for the ICT unit and when I got there, I saw Jake the youngest computer guru Amelia has. He is 12 years but he is incomparable when it comes to ICT.

Jake get me my laptop I said while I settled on the executive chair in the room. What is happening now? I asked as I ran my fingers on the keyboard. Ma, I think Malcolm is back again. He wants to buy the same building we are planning on buying to bring to life our Chicago branch that was locked down because of his evil plans.

Malcolm has been a bone in their neck right from the time Amelia's father was running the hospital. I think he has someone from within that feeds him with information and I must find out. When is the bidding starting I asked Jake and I was told it will kick start in 20 minutes time. Get the systems prepared and connected I said to them and everyone became focused. Soon the bidding started and I asked Jake to bid $500,000.00 and I thought we were going to get it.

Ma, Malcolm just increased his to $700,000.00 and it seems other bidders are withdrawing since the price is getting higher than normal he called to me. Okay login and create another bidder using Hilary Howard Hospital. Malcolm may think it’s Mr. Jeremy Howard who is bidding. Two minutes after, Jake notified me that Malcolm still increased the bid to $950,000,00.

Malcolm's POV

The bidding started and I told my boys to keep on topping the amount just to make sure ALH is completely driven out of Chicago. I saw as other bidders started withdrawing and I laughed out wickedly. HHH soon join the bidding and I laughed at Amelia’s foolishness to think I will believe Mr. Howard joined the bidding. I knew all along that she was the one using the same account so I still topped the amount. Let’s see how you get to secure your hospital here in Chicago I said grinning wickedly.

Clara’s POV

Immediately Jake informed me that Malcolm topped the money, i continued the bidding myself and created another user with the name Trinity Hospital and to my utmost surprise, Malcolm gave up and Trinity hospital won the bidding after which I ordered my boys at Chicago to place ALH signpost there.

Malcolm's POV

I asked my boys to withdraw after I saw a new hospital by name Trinity Hospital after confirming that ALH does not win the bidding. Trinity or whatever they call it can take the building I don’t care. My eyes became red immediately I saw the name changed from Trinity Hospital to Amelia Lewis Hospital. No I shouted throwing the wine glass I was holding across the room and it shattered into pieces. Amelia fooled me but I must get back at her.

Clara’s POV

We celebrated our victory together and when I returned to Hilary’s suit, I became moody since I had to keep acting as Amelia. I couldn’t concentrate well so I decided to move to Amelia’s family house hiding under the guise of taking care of father. I arrived at the suit late and Mr. Lewis hugged me on seeing me thinking it was her daughter. Dad I called, I am here now and I will make sure everything is fine. I must know the cause of this partial paralysis I said to myself. I absented myself from work the next day just to take care of dad even though I knew Malcolm can strike that period. Food was served and I made sure both I and Mrs. Tonia ate from the same plate dad was eating from. Nothing happened afterwards not until dad slumped then I had to give him a drip in his room and lock him up. If it is not food then how is the poison been given to him? I decided to use another means so I went to the maid on duty and asked her to give me water for my dad. She opened the up section of the refrigerator and gave me a bottle water; I came back and asked her to give me for Mrs. Tonia and she gave me from the down section and then my suspicions were confirmed. I pinned her to the wall giving her a resounding slap. She started confessing before I could even ask her. Sorry ma, please don’t kill me; Madam Tonia asked me to separate the water and she gave me a powdered substance to be adding into the water. I left her ordering that Mr. Lewis’s water be changed to new ones of which she obliged. So Mrs. Tonia has been the one poisoning Mr. Lewis. I left for Amelia’s Annex suite and headed into her study room. There, I found a letter enclosed in an envelope on the table. I opened it and it says;

My beauty my world, I miss you so much and wish I was here for you but I can’t since people are wicked. I know by the time you will see this letter; I might not be here but if anything happens to me just know that Tonia is responsible for it.

Wait! Mrs. Tonia is responsible for Amelia’s missing mum? I was saying that when I sighted some men dressed in black jumping through the fence so I quickly ran through the back door and entered the swimming pool immediately I saw that they were already inside the house. I was lucky enough that they ran away immediately they spotted Hilary entering the compound. They almost killed me I cried in his arms. Let’s get back home he said and I obliged. We got home and I entered the bathroom to freshen up. I sobbed silently knowing the fact that Hilary has finally moved on and accepted Amelia back. I was shocked when a hand slid round my waist and I stood numb. I knew all along that it was you Clara. I just wanted to confirm if you still love me; I am sorry for the pains I have caused you. We started kissing and ended up making out. My first time wasn’t painful as other girls would say. Hilary gave me the pleasure I never experience before. Gosh! I so much love this man.

I later decided to restore the branch at San Francisco which Malcolm ruined long time ago. I searched for a building that looks exactly like the previous one and found one. I later decided to go see the building myself. About 3 days later, the bidding started and Malcolm was there to compete with me again. I kept increasing the bidding to a higher price and he kept doing same. Ma this amount is weigh more than what is in our account Jeremy said and I asked him not to bother. Malcolm sold his five hospitals including the one at San Francisco giving himself the assurance that when he purchase this one, he will quickly recover everything since ALH will be completely driven out of San Francisco and since the hospital is big. I finally let him buy the hospital after buying his own Hospital at San Francisco and two others with a different name entirely for my soon to be father in-law Mr. Howard for his branches which Malcolm has driven out from two different cities. I watch them move their things into the hospital and commencing their normal activities. I decided to save the lives of patients there so I used an intercom to tell everybody to get out of the hospital because the hospital will collapse in the next 30 minutes. I had seen that the walls of the building were weak and would collapse anytime soon the day I went to check on the building. I saw the weather forecast and it will be stormy in the next 30 minutes. Malcolm lost everything as he watched the building collapse. This is too much for me the almighty Malcolm cried bitterly..

Malcolm: Tonia is so stupid; she has been working with me for long because her secrets lie within me. I am only using her to get all the Lewis wealth and that is my last opportunity now. Daniella’s true identity been Aliyah is pure money. Aliyah was thought to have died long ago. She was born on the same day of the month with Mr. Lewis grandmother so all her wealth was willed to Aliyah. Tonia stole her, changing her name to Daniella and I helped her gain her way into the Lewis family.

Clara’s POV

The next day, I monitored Mrs. Tonia's movement and later discovered were she was hiding Mrs. Isabella. I picked my phone and called Mr. Lewis to come and meet me at the exact address Mrs. Tonia stopped. Jake called the Police and also gave them the address.

Isabella’s POV

I almost ran mad because of the ill treatment given to me by Tonia. I wondered how my baby is doing. Tonia came in and was later followed by Malcolm. They forced me to sign off my daughter’s inheritance or else she will be killed. I hesitated but later decided to do it just to save my daughter but i stopped immediately I sighted my darling husband, daughter and the cops. Tonia and Malcolm were later arrested.

Clara: I entered into the hall for a board meeting and my shareholders insisted that a test be run to confirm if I am a true Lewis. I know Daniella is behind this. I obliged and a sample of my blood and Amelia’s parents were collected with my heart pounding heavily. The test result came out confirming that I am a true Lewis. How was that possible? What a miracle?

Amelia later came back looking healthy and explained to her parents that I was the one acting in her place all the while and they looked shock. Mr. Lewis thanked me for saving his life and that of his wife.

Aliyah! Amelia shouted after asking her mother why she believed that Clara was her. She has a star tattoo given to my children by your granny. It was later confirmed that Mrs. Patricia took her away after discovering Tonia's plan and left her daughter behind while the nurse told Isabella she lost her child. Clara is indeed my long lost sister. 


October 23, 2020 15:13

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

122 comments

Magdalene Lam
00:05 Nov 28, 2020

It's a...... interesting story

Reply

Show 0 replies
Loiusa Clement
15:50 Oct 30, 2020

quiet encouraging..............ride on

Reply

Show 0 replies
Grace Chrix
15:35 Oct 30, 2020

wonderful

Reply

Show 0 replies
Samuel Chrix
15:33 Oct 30, 2020

Very entertaining story..........more grace

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sunday Chrix
15:28 Oct 30, 2020

breath taking story

Reply

Show 0 replies
Elias Chris
15:23 Oct 30, 2020

quiet awesome

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jacob Chrix
15:13 Oct 30, 2020

Wonderful write up

Reply

Show 0 replies
Aboh Francis
15:10 Oct 30, 2020

wow! amazing story, keep the good work going

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ajibo Unogwu
14:53 Oct 30, 2020

Amazing story.........keep it up

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jacob Praise
14:41 Oct 30, 2020

Wonderful work

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jay Studioo
14:41 Oct 30, 2020

Good!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Cue Black
13:55 Oct 30, 2020

wonderful work............ride on

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mimi Obeta
13:48 Oct 30, 2020

Wow! what an intrigue mind blowing and suspense filled story

Reply

Show 0 replies
13:40 Oct 30, 2020

Wonderful work...........keep the good work going

Reply

Show 0 replies
Aboyi Praise
11:34 Oct 30, 2020

Amazing story

Reply

Show 0 replies
10:41 Oct 30, 2020

good write up...........keep it moving

Reply

Show 0 replies
Innocent Rayner
10:02 Oct 30, 2020

fantastic..........ride on

Reply

Show 0 replies
Endurance Ogezi
09:54 Oct 30, 2020

quiet interesting

Reply

Show 0 replies
Paulina Abutu
09:39 Oct 30, 2020

Good work author..........keep it up

Reply

Show 0 replies
17:30 Oct 29, 2020

amazing

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.