1 comment

Science Fiction Drama

“Mom what is thaaat?”  Lyra had called to me from down the aisle of the first square at Moriah. Moriah was the marketplace I came to that day to gather another ten year supply of goods, and to accomplish another unfortunate task.

Rushing to her side, I slapped her hand away from the pink gelatinous blob that kept turning in on itself.  Although on the outer layer of Moriah the value of things were not as much as the inner layer square, I needed Lyra to be unmarked, perfect in every way. 

 “That is Gobble Blob and used to destroy vermin and pests.  What did I tell you?  Let’s get in and out.  It is not safe to linger.  Do not touch,” I snapped. Staring into the translucent blob of death,  I added softly, “I will answer your questions later.”  The lie crushed my heart, but what was I to do?  This was the way things are.

I grabbed my slender daughter’s hand, leading deeper into the layers of squares.  Moriah was made so that there was one layer inside another, inside another, and so on and so forth.  Each square had one entrance and one exit opposite each other. A single row of merchants made a barrier to the next section. The purpose of the design was security.  As a being moved further inward, the value of the merchandise went up.  Each entrance and exit scanned your MIB, or Moriah Implant Bracelet, and scanned you to make sure your purchases were legal. It was a fool proof way to prevent stealing.  Lifeforms from many planets came here to get the things they needed for survival.   

I lead Lyra through to the next layer, one more step closer to the fate that awaits. Holding my breath so I would not have to smell the Thrual that was scanning MIBs.  His pungent order of death did not help to calm my nerves. This was one of the most abhorrent species I have come across. He was large, towering 7 feet or more, and robust.  He looked as if he was a pale balloon filled with fat, but underneath was an unholy strength.  I bet the only fear a Thrual has is that of being clean. I saw grey rock lice crawling about his bald head.  Excrement flies tried to land in his 7 tiny eyes. Lyra gagged and I squeezed her hand to comfort her. Oh my Lyra, try as I might to not have formed a motherly love with you these past ten years, it happened the moment I held you to my breast.  Lyra, my firstborn. I thought about the twelve children I left back on Uron. I thought about how they needed medicine, food, warmth.  I thought of my mate. Countless others from my planet had made this trek, why did I struggle so much with what I had to do? I tried not to look at Lyra, of her perfect complexion and long ebony locks.  The deep blue curiosity of her eyes made me turn away with guilt,  She no doubt was preparing a list of questions in her head.  Questions that would never be answered.  I wondered if she noticed the absence of laughter in Moriah.  Did she notice it is one adult and one offspring picking out life sustaining items from the various stands? Did she notice that there were no real transactions taking place. Aliens everywhere took what they needed, but did not trade or pay in return. I do not think she noticed. Prior to our trip, in one of my sleepless nights, I debated with my own mind as to tell her about Kundu and what was to happen once we made it to the center square.  I could not bear to tell her. I loved Lyra despite every effort not to. I would not take one moment of her innocent happy life away from her.  I loved all my children and that is why this trip was necessary. Twelve babes awaited supplies.  Time was pressing us. Layer by layer we plunged. I had to make the final transaction by the time Uron was directly in front of planet Gogrit or return empty handed to hungry brood. 

We neared the eye of the square, where all evil took place, where Lyra and I would meet the infamous Kundu, the creator of Mariah. Lyra looked up at me at this final entrance. Our eyes met, and she saw in that moment my fear, my heartache, my pain. I hoped she saw my love as well.

“Mom?” that single questioning word was the end of me.  Could I go on? Could I face Kundu?  I closed my eyes and thought of twelve playing babes, laughing, happy, safe, fulfilled till the next required journey.  I had to. I had to. With feet that felt weighed down with shackles I took a step closer to the dark narrow entryway. Up until now the walls were just walls of vendors set up with their merchandise under tents. Here we stood before 20 foot walls that shimmered with some liquid metallic substance I was unfamiliar with.  A native bird species with 2 red heads and digits instead of wings flew into it. Although the metal seemed like liquid flowing up and down on its own accord, the bird ricocheted off it.  It then fluttered to the brown dirt below, one neck broken. It surely would not survive with half itself dead.  Lyra watched the spectacle silently as one tear slid down her cheek.  She knew, I think,in that instant, what was on the other side of those walls.  With little resistance, Lyra however followed my lead into the dark opening in the wall. And there he was.

“Urania, you made it.”  Kundu's voice boomed through the cavern. It seemed as if we were standing in a hole in the center of the planet. A dark, damp cave of horror. I felt Lyra begin to shake under his gaze.  There was no going back now. The transaction needed to take place. Before us stood a dragon like species. He was twice our height, with wings the color of fire. He had a head like that of the human species, but with black teeth and snake-like fangs protruding from the top and bottom.  His body was long and slender, covered in layers or glowing fur or hair I could not tell. Strangely enough, there was no smell in the air. How is there no smell at all? Even water and dirt has odor.  But here in Kundro’s presence it was as if there was a lack of scent. Maybe it was because I could not breath.  He slowly bent down over Lyra and I felt as if she would just collapse in terror.  

“She is perfect as you said she would be,”

“Mommy. Mommy what’s going on?  Mommy I want to go home.”

I could bear it no longer. I pushed my baby girl toward Kundu and I ran. I ran back to my ship, almost being torn apart by a Thrual when I forgot to scan my MIB on the way out proving I had paid for my purchases which awaited me on the ship.  Oh my Lyra. My poor, poor Lyra.  May Kundu spare you pain. Your sacrifice will never be forgotten.  Your brothers and sisters will live, but my soul is dead.  I am forever damned by my own spirit. It gave me no joy when I reached home to hand the supplies to my mate, who tried to comfort me.  There was no solace to see my happy children once again have their tummies filled. I felt as if I was feeding them their own sister.  Perhaps in a way I was.

November 11, 2020 17:09

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Unknown User
12:32 Nov 19, 2020

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.