0 comments

General

As I sat there in the restaurant, I wondered what her answer would be. Of course, I hadn’t asked the question yet. Still, though, I couldn’t help but worry about the outcome to the question, either way. The answer, at least the one that I was hoping for, would be a commitment to everything I hoped to come to pass. Hopefully, the wait would be over.

           The day itself didn’t seem to be all that promising. Thunderstorms were rolling through. Isolated downpours, lots of lightning and thunder. Not exactly the atmosphere I was hoping for. But, she had always said she found storms to be fascinating. Maybe this was a good sign? I hoped it was. We had circled this day on our calendars over two weeks ago. The intervening time had been busy, so busy. Despite this, there were numerous times daily that I mulled over what I wanted to ask her. I hoped that she hadn’t asked for this date so far out that it gave her time to figure out what I was going to ask. The wait on the day to arrive was increasing my anxiety with every passing day. Finally, the day arrived. I contacted the restaurant and asked for a table away from everyone else. What I had to ask was not for anyone else to hear.

           Arriving at the restaurant, I was pleased to see that the table asked for was indeed away from everyone else. The server came by to see if I wanted anything. I told her that I was waiting on someone else before ordering. However, a drink would likely help my nerves, so I asked for a bourbon, neat. She was back with the drink in less than a minute, leaving me to wait on Laurie.

           I glanced at my watch for what seemed like the twentieth time in the last ten minutes. Trust me to be fifteen minutes early! It was maybe thirty seconds after the last time I checked. Time did not seem to be flowing smoothly. Sometimes it was so slow, other times a stray thought occupied minutes when it seemed like only seconds. I knew I couldn’t begin to think about anything other than this night, and this question.

           Other patrons paid me little to no attention…except for this one kid across the room. Every time I looked at him, he was staring at me. A hard stare, like something was out of place with me. I really, really wanted to go to the restroom and see if my hair was out of place! But I just knew that she would walk in just as I walked out, so I just sat there.

           Finally, she arrived. I saw her first when she was stopped by the greeter. I waved, and she saw my hand motion. Smiling, she exchanged some words with the greeter, who also turned around. The two ladies looked at each other, and something passed between them. They both giggled, and Laurie started my way.

           Just as she was about to sit down, a large flash of lightning erupted from the clouds. The lights flickered in the restaurant in response, but they did not go out. People looked around a little, most of them apprehensive about their evening being spoiled by a power outage. I looked at Laurie, to see what her reaction was to this. She was still smiling, her eyes alive and sparkling, despite or maybe in response to the electricity in the air. Either way, I was not able to make a coherent sentence just then.

           The server came by to take our orders. I needed that respite. Being a gentleman (or so I thought myself to be) I let Laurie order first. That allowed me to figure out how to speak in English again. Taking my order, the server smiled and left.

           “Well, you couldn’t ask for better weather, now could you?” Laurie said, a little chuckle in her voice.

           “I couldn’t arrange for a hurricane on such short notice. Usually takes a good week or two for that order.” I offered as a comeback. It worked! Laurie softly laughed with me. That broke the ice, at least for me. We were able to have a good conversation after that.

           The meal came and went. I barely tasted my meal, despite how well prepared it was. Undoubtedly it was good. But if I wanted to actually taste it, I would have to come back, another time. All I could really think about was Laurie, and what I needed to ask her that night. It really didn’t help that she looked absolutely fabulous! And I wasn’t the only person to notice. Oh no, there were several other people that had followed her with their eyes as she walked over to our table.

           As we ate, I kept mulling over how to ask her what I wanted. I vacillated between a direct approach or a gradual approach. Pretty soon, I figured that the gradual approach would be best. That way, I could maybe get a sense of what she was feeling before I would actually ask. I knew I didn’t want to hear the word “no”. But I was prepared for that response if that was to be her answer.

           We finished dinner and settled back to enjoy a glass of wine each. Though the conversation was pleasant enough, I finally could not wait any longer. I had to know her answer!

           “Laurie, we’ve known each other, what…ten years? In that time, I have really grown to treasure you as a person. You’ve been there for me in so many times of need. I can’t even begin to show you how much that means to me.” There, not exactly revealing of where I was going with this, I thought.

           Laurie looked across the table at me. “I appreciate that, Steve. You have meant a lot to me also. It’s hard to believe it has been ten years since we met.”

           A positive response! Was the wait finally over? “I’m sorry that it has taken this long to get to this point…but here goes.” I took a deep breath, then took the plunge. “Laurie, you know the main goal I have been trying to accomplish for most of these ten years. Earlier today, I decided that it is time to reach for that goal, and I want you with me for this.”

           Laurie’s eyes grew wide. “You mean…you’re sure?”

           “Yes, very sure.” I stood up, reaching inside my jacket. As I did this, I thought one last prayer, asking that this wait, these last few weeks after deciding to ask her, was finally over. I pulled out the item I had placed in my jacket. “Laurie, I am formally asking you. I am now running for President of the United States, and I can think of no one that I would like to have as my Vice President as you. Will you consider being my running mate?”

           Her eyes glowing, rimmed with a little moisture, Laurie answered “Yes!!”

           The wait was over!

July 07, 2020 18:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.