10 comments

Mystery Suspense

โ€œWhat did you do?โ€ Kadin was asking me questions but I couldnโ€™t understand. Everything was spinning and I didnโ€™t know how we would get home.

โ€œCasie tell me what you did.โ€ He knew I couldnโ€™t lie, something in my body just wouldnโ€™t allow me to.

โ€œWell, where should I startโ€.

She always did something to annoy me, big or small she was always there to tick me off. I was a bomb waiting to go off until I finally did. It started in 7th grade and now weโ€™re in high school. It would be little things like leaving her arm on my desk and bumping into me occasionally then it progressed. It became more frequent and severe; ignoring me, purposefully getting me in trouble, copying my answers. Everything a school bully would do but this was worse for some reason. Maybe she didnโ€™t like me because I always had something to say.ย 

I couldnโ€™t help it, something just told me to always tell the truth no matter what. I got her in trouble for small things like talking in class and not doing homework. Little things that wouldnโ€™t get her in serious trouble and yet she still hated me. I told her once that if she didnโ€™t want to get in trouble she shouldn't tell me things. She continued to speak to me even after that conversation. I tried to warn her and she still spoke to me.

I can hold it in but not for long. I donโ€™t know how people bite their tongue and keep quiet and donโ€™t feel like they might explode if they donโ€™t tell the truth. I donโ€™t understand how people can lie so freely without feeling guilty. I tried to lie once and it was the only thing I thought about until I told the truth. Lies eat me up inside, they fill me up with an immense amount of pain that doesnโ€™t release until I tell the whole truth.

We could see the red and blue lights flashing through the trees while we were talking.

โ€œCasie we gotta goโ€. Kadin said while pulling my arm to run. By that time we saw multiple flashlights pointed in our direction. We started to run away from the yellow-tinted lights but we were soon met with them again. On all sides we had lights pointed at us.

โ˜…โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ˜…โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ˜…

โ€œHey, Casieโ€. I turned around to see Tara speaking to me. I was at my locker and tried to ignore her but couldnโ€™t. I took a deep breath before turning around, โ€œHi, Taraโ€.

โ€œSo, do you like my shoesโ€. Why would she ask me that knowing I would tell her the full truth. They were an ugly shade of green mixed slightly with purple.

โ€œYour shoes are hideous. They look like Barney threw up and made that monstrosity. What went through your mind when picking those to wear to school? Theyโ€™re very ugly and I donโ€™t like them. Sorryโ€. I said shrugging my shoulders. I was sorry I just canโ€™t lie. I always felt bad when I spoke about my negative opinions. People either get mad or laugh it off most get angry and Iโ€™m left to deal with it. I also canโ€™t say that it was a joke because that would be lying.

She didnโ€™t respond verbally but she slapped me. A clean forceful slap to my right cheek. It made a noise and everyone turned to look at us. My face was turned to the left looking at everybody staring at me. I got embarrassed and ran.

โ˜…โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ˜…โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ˜…

โ€œCome on just tell us what you knowโ€. An officer was breathing hot air down my neck. I had been quiet the whole ride here. I didnโ€™t want to say anything that might get me in trouble. I tried keeping quiet even in this poorly lit room. I constantly bit my lip and it started to bleed but I remained silent.

โ€œTell us and you wonโ€™t get in troubleโ€. I knew that was a lie so I stood quiet and refused to speak. The officer was about to speak before someone walked into the room.

โ€œLet her goโ€, A man entered the room speaking directly to the officer.

โ€œWhy?โ€. I didnโ€™t hear the rest of the conversation because they whispered but I was let go soon after.

I inhaled the cold air as I stepped outside and was escorted to a car.

โ€œWhatโ€™s your nameโ€. The woman in the driverโ€™s seat asked me.ย 

โ€œCasieโ€. I answered abruptly, I didnโ€™t want to spend time talking, I just wanted to get back to Kadin. I wanted to go home and stare at the ceiling while laying on my bed.

โ€œMy name is Jordan, nice to meet youโ€. She said looking back towards me.

โ€œNot to be rude but where are we goingโ€. It was dark and I couldnโ€™t see much but the trees outside my window didnโ€™t feel like home.

โ€œDonโ€™t worry about where weโ€™re going just yetโ€. My eyes started to get heavy and I couldnโ€™t respond to her.

โ˜…โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ˜…โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ˜…

It was like I could hear the fear in her steps as I chased her into the woods. She was fast but I was the one that had been on the track team. I was compelled to chase her down after what happened that didnโ€™t. Not to exactly chase her but just scare her. I didnโ€™t want to but I knew I had to.ย 

โ€œCome on out you know you canโ€™t hideโ€. I could practically hear her heavy breath as I got close to the tree she was hiding behind.

โ€œPlease, Casieโ€. She pleaded while looking into my eyes on the verge of tears.

โ€œPlease what Taraโ€. She was scared I could tell but I just couldnโ€™t stop myself.

โ€œThis isnโ€™t like you just let me goโ€. How could she possibly know me all she ever did was get on my nerves.

โ€œWell, I canโ€™t do that now can Iโ€. I wasnโ€™t planning on hurting her yet here we are.

January 09, 2021 05:32

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

10 comments

21:07 Jan 09, 2021

I love it, woohoo! Also, happy almost birthday, Alana!

Reply

Thank you my birthday is in 3 days im so excited!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Yaaaaaars I LOVED THISSSS! Super intriguing and leaves you wanting for more. The names are so creative! Awesome job!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Akshaya โœจ
07:07 Jan 09, 2021

Hi, Alana! Welcome to the Reedsy community! :) I'm glad I read this story because it was a very enjoyable read and I loved it! I like your take on the prompt, it was creative and well written!! Congratulations on your first ten stories!! I wish you happy writing! :D

Reply

Akshaya โœจ
16:28 Jan 10, 2021

Wecome! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.