1 comment

General

Anna, a bright teenager has been brought to a waiting room outside of the Airport. Although it was her friend who called her not knowing why, she came because her friend has insisted. She was sitting on the bench playing Roblox on her phone, when someone sat beside her. "Hey. How long have you been?" she said. Anna looked at the stranger. "Uh...for like 20 minutes. Why?" The stranger looked at Anna. "Uh..I'm just asking. I am going down to the United States to see Ariana Grande. I'm just waiting for my luggage to arrive...My husband is bringing them down for me..so. Who is YOUR favorite singer? Oh and I am Beathy." the stranger said. Anna looked astonished. "Oh. You're lucky. My name is Anna. Nice to meet you Beathy. I also like Ariana Grande. I like Justin Bieber too! Are you Canadian or American? I am European." Beathy smiled. "I am actually Chinese-Canadian, but I was born in Vancouver. My parents are from China so. Yeah! How long did you live in Canada?" Beathy asked. "I have been in Canada for like 12 years now...I think more but I am not sure. I live in Toronto. What is your hobby, or I mean what do you like to do?" Anna asked curiously. Beathy smiled again. Her smile was so bright and beautiful, that Anna couldn't help but to think how she could hold her face...her smile seemed WAY too big for her face. "I like to read, sometimes draw. Go out for walks, all the classics! Wow. This is going to be a wait worthwhile! I met someone new...at least I am not stuck here doing nothing," Beathy said. "Oh, and what is YOUR hobby? What is your thing?" Anna laughed. "Oh. I LOVE to play Roblox with my best friend, read and draw...and go outside to do some laps or play a little of soccer," Anna paused with a sigh. "I mostly feel lonely though. My brother lives all the way back in Europe, and I am here in Canada. There is no chance of seeing him this year...sadly." Beathy looked at Anna and reached into her handbag. "By the way. Isn't this your brother?" Anna's eyes opened wide. "How do you know that that is my brother?" Beathy looked at her. "Don't you know? I follow him on Instagram. I go to Czech once a year...you know!" Anna looked at Beathy, and smiled. "So you know that I am from Czech. Can I have your contact? Maybe we can chat over Facebook or something?" Anna blushed. She usually didn't ask other people for their contact...but Beathy was so kind. "Why not! That's a GREAT idea! My Facebook username is Beathy Chen." Anna nodded and looked for her phone. "Mine is Anna Eco. I'll send you a friend request." Beathy nodded and got her phone out as she heard a notification ping ring. As Anna put her phone away, she realized that maybe friends will come into the way of a person. Maybe if she is open more times, they will come and start a conversation...supposedly if they are both waiting for something! "Beathy reached into her bag, and took out a photo album. "Look here. I have this album that my mom gave to me just this year when I turned 23 years old. Its vintage. Here. Look inside." Anna cautiously took the photo album, and opened it. She gasped. "These are the most beautiful photos I have ever seen. Are these you? Were you an ATHLETE?'' Beathy smiled, and her cheeks blushed fully blushed. "Yes. My mother was an athlete too. Every female in our family was an athlete. I trained day and night, and became the number 1 athlete for China." Anna sighed and couldn't believe what she had heard. She has met an ATHLETE? NO WAY! "Speaking of which...could I get your photograph?" Anna asked. Beathy smiled. "Of course! No one can recognize me. That's why I am not center attention right now! I got a new haircut!" Anna smiled and admired Beathy. She was talented, positive and kind. Anna has never met anyone as kind as Beathy. Anna stood beside her new friend as they took a photo. OMG! They sat back down. "So. How old are YOU, Anna?" Beathy asked curiously. "I am currently 18 years old." Anna responded. She had a question on mind, but she forgot it. "Dang. I forgot something. I was going to ask you something, but I forgot." Anna sighed. She looked around and realized she was at the airport. ''Beathy. Why am I at the airport?" Beathy stared. "You are waiting for something or someone." Anna nodded, and finally realized that was the reason she was there. Beathy got out her phone. "Do you have Instagram Anna?" Anna looked at Beathy. "Yeah...I do." Beathy nodded. "I'll follow you. What's your username?" Anna got her phone out of her bag, and looked at her Instagram. "AnnaEcoPlaysRoblox is my username." Beathy nodded. As she was typing she stopped. "You play Roblox?" Anna nodded. Beathy smiled, and her eyes seemed to relax a little bit. "Well, even though I AM an athlete, I play Roblox too!" Anna gasped. "Really? I thought you practice a lot! I guess you do it in your free time right?" Beathy nodded. It was a sincere nod. "Anna...there is something I have to tell you." Beathy said. Anna looked at her. "Go ahead. Tell me." Beathy looked at Anna. "Your friend send me here. You were supposed to meet her. I am going to the US and she knew that. But since I was going to have to wait for my luggage, she told me to find you and start a conversation. Soooo..." Anna looked at Beathy. "You kidding? I'm not mad! I am glad...I got to meet with a champion athlete! That is AMAZING!" Beathy smiled and once again blushed. "Oh yeah, Anna its time to blind fold you...the thing has arrived so you have to be blind folded now." Anna stared confused. "OK..." She turned around and Beathy blind folded her with her scarf. Anna turned around and Beathy seemed to walk away. "Ok. Anna, you can take off the blind now. Come on." Beathy said excitedly. Anna wasn't sure what happened or what was happening, but she nervously took of her blind fold. The moment she took it off, she gasped. Her brother was standing in front of her. She rubbed her eyes, and looked again. Tears formed in her eyes, and ran to hug her brother. "Hey lil sis. Are you ok?" Anna nodded. "Ok. I have to go Anna. My husband arrived with my suitcase. We'll talk over Facebook and Instagram ok?" Beathy said. Anna waved to Beathy, and she watched her leave. So it turned out that her brother came. Anna was so happy that she was crying for the rest of the day out of happiness. It was worth waiting for...

July 10, 2020 01:18

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Catherine Howard
23:34 Jul 15, 2020

Hi Anna What an interesting take on the prompt. Your story has a non native english speaker vibe which adds to the story as the characters both have international backgrounds. well done.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.