4 comments

Fiction Drama American

The year was 1943, and World War 2 was dragging on. German Troops were suffering due to stupid decisions that originated from the fanatic mind of Hitler. The invasion of mainland Europe was on the cards of the Allied army. Americans recently captured the Buna from the Japanese troops. Everyone lauded Paul, the Captain of the US Army, who played a crucial role in that battle. He was recalled to home for a post at The Office of Strategic Services: America's First Intelligence Agency. 

Paul arrived in the USA with a letter that confirmed his appointment as the training officer in Paris. The OSS office gave him a week off, and after that, he had to report to the office in Paris. 

'Only a week? Can't you ask for more days? Heroes are entitled to accolades,' said Bruna, Paul's mother, born in Germany, brought up in the USA. 

'Heroes never rest. They are always ready to serve the higher cause. Luxuries are not what they seek,' clarified Albert, Paul's father, and a proud owner of famous bakeries in the USA. Albert was also born in Germany, brought up in the USA. He escaped Germany a decade after WWI. Albert lived the American Dream and became the successful owner of bakeries around the nation. He had enough wealth for Paul to retire and enjoy a chilled life, but Paul had his dream to fulfill like his father. 

'Right. Nation calls & I should not delay.'

It was already a week, and Paul was ready to depart. 

'Make us Proud,' said Albert. Bruna let a tear roll out of her eye as she couldn't reason with her son to stay for another week. She bid adieu with a heavy heart. 

Paul was astonished to see the office in Paris. It was not what his imagination drew and gave the final touch. However, he adjusted to it within a month. He dedicated his entire day to train the recruits in combat and intelligence gathering. He never had time to complain because seldom he was free from his duty. He sometimes went into the field with the resistance group of Paris to gather information. 

He rose through the ranks and became the most influential person amongst the resistance group in the whole of France. He penetrated most of the Nazi office in Europe with his informants. The intelligence that he gathered helped the Allied army to get back many occupied territories from the Nazis. 

Within a year, the USA recalled Paul back home. Nobody knew why this sudden recall, but something big was on the cards for him. Meanwhile, two things happened to him in Paris. First, he became the most influential person amongst the resistance, and Second, he met his future wife, Cathy. 

Cathy came from Britain to Paris. Britain Intelligence Agency sent her to train the resistance in Paris. Paul and Cathy met in one of the operations in Paris. It was love at first sight, and the romance bloomed. They married in Paris, and Cathy accompanied Paul to the USA.

A Surprise was waiting for Paul in the USA. The director of OSS appointed Paul as the Deputy Director of Intelligence Services in the European Division. He was shocked but also excited to serve the nation from that position of power. Now, he can infiltrate the inner circle of the Nazi more effectively. Cathy was happy as she was expecting. She took voluntary retirement from the service and decided to serve her husband rather than her nation. British Intelligence Agency didn't accept her choice and suggested she return to the agency six months after delivery. Cathy agreed by taking permission from Paul. 

'Paul, can you get a transfer in Britain after I deliver the baby?' asked Cathy

'I can try. Not for sure but I will try honey.'

Paul promised, but his intention was enough. 

Time began to fly in months. Cathy was expecting in a month, but something drastic happened during that time. 

Five submarines that were going to destroy the Kriegsmarine's headquarter (Navy of Nazi Germany) in a single blow was itself destroyed by U-boats outside that headquarter. Someone leaked the information to the enemy camp. That information was privy to only a few, but somehow it reached the enemy camp. 

Internal Audit began, and auditors cleared all except a few officers from the European division. The needle of suspicion was pointed at Paul but without hard evidence, no one can touch him.

'I told you to hold on to that information,' Paul expressed his displeasure to his father, Albert.

'But, Heir Hitler had to have some solid to break the spirit of this Allied Army. They are moving in quickly. Something needed to be done,' cleared Albert with patriotism dripping from his eyes. 

'Now they are after me.'

'I told your father to wait. But he didn't listen. He was eager to please those officers in SD (Sicherheitsdienst des Reichsführers-SS (SD) - intelligence agency of the SS and the Nazi Party),' said Bruna.

'That is why I do not share intelligence with both of you. We are given particular instructions for passing on critical information only when necessary. Our job is to infiltrate the OSS and maneuver in accordance with the wish of Heir Hitler. Make OSS weak and to manipulate it with our vision. Passing information is secondary,' said Paul.

'Now, focus on diverting the spotlight on you.'

'Yes, mom. I have a plan for it. It is in motion.'

'Should we let Cathy in?' asked Bruna to Paul.

'No, she is part of my other plan,' cleared Paul.

'Don't go to the library again. Lay low for two weeks. No activity' ordered Paul to his parents.

Cathy sensed something unusual in the behavior of Paul after that submarine was destroyed by U-Boat. She knew that her husband was on the top list of the suspect for leaking the information. Her spy mind was at work. Her detective antenna detected some suspicious activity. 

One morning she began searching for clues. Those bread crumbs that can help her reach to a conclusion. She found a Library card from a local library. She was surprised because Paul was many things but not a reader. She somehow excused herself from home to reach the library. 

She found the book that Paul borrowed but returned after a short duration. She opened the book in one of the corners of the library. In it was a note that read, 'Thank you for the Tip. Accept the Appreciation.' There was an envelope full of Benjamins. 

As planned, Paul reach there with Military Police and arrested Cathy for espionage. A patriot apprehended a traitor. The world saw it and believed it. 

The book had other details that pointed to the intelligence gathering network of Nazi supporters penetrated deeply in Washington DC.

Paul had written all the details to its accuracy so that no one can suspect a foul play on Cathy. He planned well and sacrificed some low-level officers of SD in the USA to survive the information leak on submarines. There were no rays of hope for Cathy as everything in the book was real and that made her the ringmaster of the Nazi Spy network in the USA. 

Paul was happy but that happiness only lasted a few days until the OSS officers verified and arrested all the spies of the sleeper cells in Washington DC. 

The real twist happened in Paris when Paul came on the radar of the counter-intelligence agency. He brought an intel that was put in play by that counter-intelligence agency. Nobody can touch the most influential spy in Europe so a counter intelligent op was designed and Cathy was brought in from Britain. 

Cathy was given the task of apprehending Paul with hard evidence and along with him the entire spy network that infiltrated and infested the Washington DC in the USA. OSS know that they were on something big and that they don't want to ruin it in its infancy. Thus, they led it to grow, and then they decided to reap it. It took hundreds of informers with him. 

The counterintelligence op was designed by the joined effort of Britain and the American intelligence agencies. They planted Cathy and Cathy did well. She also faked her pregnancy to maintain her cover and be around Paul for some more time. 

The agency would feed unwanted information and see it pass through channels but they were unable to do something without hard evidence. They placed defunct subs and let U-Boats have their time near the agency. Their strategy worked and they apprehended Paul and destroyed all the sleeper cells of Nazi Supporter in Washington DC.

Cathy was free to go as a Hero and Paul, Bruna and Albert would spend the rest of their days in prison. 

October 22, 2020 06:07

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Pratheeksha R
21:34 Oct 28, 2020

This was an amazing read! I have only 1 suggestions to make the story great. When you write - [Cathy was expecting in a month, but something drastic happened during that time.] and [The real twist happened in Paris when Paul....] the readers start guessing what will come. Rather, write in a way such that the story unfolds itself. Let the readers discover the twist on their own. That will enhance the reading experience.

Reply

HBR Patel
08:15 Oct 29, 2020

Thank you Pratheeksha for your invaluable guidance. will try to implement it in the future. Once again thank you for reading & pointing a way to perfection.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Hannah Fransen
06:58 Oct 29, 2020

This was a really interesting read! I really enjoy the way you set the stage in the first paragraph.

Reply

HBR Patel
08:15 Oct 29, 2020

Thank you Hannah for your kind words.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.