0 comments

Fiction Happy

One day I was having coffee in Second Cup. As I was going through my calendar. The place was pretty busy. A long line up out almost out the door. I took a sip of coffee; I remembered a dream that I had last night.

A misty rain started falling as I was putting my groceries in the car. I had bumped my head as I was getting out of the vehicle. I picked up the last bag and sat down in the driver’s seat.

As I started the car, I watched a crowd of people go into the Second Cup coffee shop. I wondered what was going on. I got out of the car and walked over to the coffee shop. A man walked up to me and said, “Hello, my name is Bill. I saw you were interested in our group. Why not join us? My sister is celebrating her first year of being clean, from what doesn’t really matter. All the excitement is really the fact that she is healthy mentally, emotionally and physically.” he said. “Would you like to join me? Are you from this neighbourhood? I was just asking because we are from the Bloor and Avenue Road neighbourhood. We welcome new people to celebrate. There will be no alcohol; just hang out in the Second Cup grab a coffee. Say hello to people that live nearby. My sister’s name is Kristy. I hope I am not scaring you off?”

“I would like to join you; why not. The groceries can wait.” Shawna replied.

I put out my right hand and said, “My name is Shawna. You are?”

“Nice to meet you, Shawna,” he said. “Would you like to come in with me? I’ll even buy the coffee.”

“Now that’s a nice offer. That’s fabulous news about your sister. She has shown how strong she can be,” Shawna said.

When Bill opened the door for Shawna, he saw Kristy at a table and said, “Well, you got your coffee fast. Here, Kristy, I would like you to meet Shawna. I saw her packing up her groceries and thinking how proud I am of you; I asked her to join our celebration.”

“Oh wonderful, the more, the merrier. Nice to meet you, Shawna. At this table, we have Rick, Charles and Mike. Here we have Bev, Nancy and Dorine and you have already met my brother Bill. We are all from the same program. My mother and father are still in line for coffee and dessert. We just saw a ballet called Charlottesville. What a beautiful performance. It was about an adopted child growing up as an orphan. Her mother gave her up to give her a better life. Except that’s not what always happens. Oh, it touched every emotion we have. I would recommend it.”

“I have never heard of Charlottesville,” Shawna said.

“Well, it is a small town in Virginia. They have a population of roughly 48,000. Which is a nice size. A delightful town. I visited there when visiting the University of Virginia. It’s in Charlottesville.”

“Would you recommend the play? Maybe I’ll take my parents to it. What an odd day. I net expected a stranger to ask me to join them for coffee. Thank you so much for coming up to me and inviting me. I don’t think I would be able to just walk up to someone and invite them to be a part of a family gathering.” Shawna expressed.

“Well, for something like this. It’s a new day, a new beginning. I am glad that you and to come inside and share this event. I am so proud of her, but this is only the beginning.” Bill explained.

“Another three hundred and sixty-five days to get to year two!” and raised his coffee cup.

“Everyone, I would like to announce that my sister is having a glorious celebration and so glad that you are all a part of it. I cannot keep silent; that’s how proud I am of her for keeping herself clean and free of all mood-altering substances. We all even got decaf coffee. That’s how important it is all that is a part of the celebration.” Bill said.

Kristy stood up and said, “Thank you all for supporting me and spending the day mood-altering free. I appreciate what you have all done. Again, I hope you are all having a great day and thank you again. Cheers,” and lifting her coffee.. the dream faded away.

Now sitting alone in Second Cup, enjoying my coffee. A group of people walked in and got in line. The last person was male. Had jet black hair, standing at least 6 feet. He had brown eyes. Clean-shaven and friendly. He was a stranger, but I knew who he was. His name is Bill.

I was so shaken up that it was the same guy in my dream last night. He asked me and only me to join his family and friends that were having a and celebration. It was not fear that I felt the excitement. I had to compose myself.

While in line to buy a coffee, he scanned the room for people. When our eyes met, we both smiled. I stood up and said, “Hi, how are you doing. My name is Shawna. I just have this strange feeling that we have somehow met before. Sorry, I know it sounds strange.”

“Hi. My name is Bill,” he told her.

“Would you like to have a seat with me? It’s pretty crowded in here?” she asked.

“That sounds nice. Although I am having a get-together with my sister. I am so proud of her, and they both said,” Is it Kristy, one year clean. ”

“How did you know that?” Bill asked Shawna.

“I saw you in a dream. You came up to me while I was putting my groceries in the car. You were so excited about your sister. You could have involved the world to know how proud you were. Then you invited me to sit with you, and I met your family. You had introduced them all to me. It was wonderful.”

“Well, that’s interesting because that’s why we are here. Incredible it’s amazing how things happen.”

“So, will you sit with me at my table?” She asked.

“Sure, let me introduce you to everyone.”

Shawna followed Bill to the tables. Then moved my table over to his group of people.

It was just like a dream. Everyone was proud and curious about what just happened.

July 21, 2021 17:17

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.