0 comments

Fiction Mystery Thriller

Laughter echoed around the room as everyone watched a teenage boy with brown hair squeeze an entire bottle of whipped cream onto his face. After he had finished, he allowed everyone to snap a picture of this "wonderful" moment before wiping all the cream off with a paper towel.

Glaring at a girl who had taken the most pictures and who was laughing the loudest, he snarled, "Nice one, Carla. But let's see how you like my next dare."

On one hazy summer night, a small group of friends decided to gather and play a few rounds of truth or dare. Soon, a few playful rounds turned into an all-out competition between a snarky Michael and a mischievous Carla to see who could give each other the most embarrassing and weird dares.

Wiping his face one more time, he started with the classic phrase.

"Truth or dare?"

Without a pause, Carla replied with "Dare."

A cheshire smile slowly spread across his face as he stared directly into Carla's ocean irises.

'I dare you to... go home. Leave. Don't come back."

Several ooh's and gasps could be heard from the circle of people that had surrounded them. Carla's eyes hardened to ice as she glared at him.

"Oh, how low of you, Michael." She seethed.

Both had grown up hating each other with a passion, and it didn't help that they were neighbors. Since they had lived beside each other their entire lives, it was impossible to avoid accidentally discovering things about each other. At the age of 6, Michael had realized that Carla was deathly afraid of being left out. That feeling of everyone doing something without you, and later on telling jokes and speaking of experiences that you couldn't relate to because you weren't there... it was hard to explain, but Carla hated that feeling. And now, Michael was poking at her weak spot on purpose...

Carla forced a shrug, got up and brushed herself off.

"Ok." was all she said as she walked out the door into the misty air and disappeared.

That night, at 8:43 pm, was the last time anyone ever saw Carla Everned alive.

Michael kicked a stone around as he walked down the street to his house at 9:36 pm. He had his hands in his pockets, head slightly lowered. Not gonna lie, he did feel a tiny bit guilty about what he did to Carla. As he walked past her house, he glanced up at her bedroom window. The lights were all off. Maybe she was asleep already. He yawned and stretched, before entering his own house and heading off to his room to wash up and rest.

The next day, he awakened with a groan to the sound of his phone ringing at 10:13 am.

Answering the call, Michael heard the frantic voice of Josh, who was Carla's boyfriend. Being busy with his part-time job, he hadn't been able to attend last night's little gather.

"Michael you live next to Carla right? Can you go check on her? Please man, I'm begging you. This is really important. Just go check on her, please. I'm begging you, please man. I can't right now, I'm with my mom at the hospital across town right now. Please-"

Still half-asleep, Michael groaned.

"Bro, what the hell? What's going on? What happened to Carla?"

"That's the thing, I don't know! She was supposed to call me after she got home safe last night, except she never did. I called her a few times, but when she didn't answer, I just thought she was asleep or something. But you know how Carla volunteers at the hospital? I didn't see her this morning. She never misses her shifts. So please can you go see if she's oka-"

Michael grunted, sitting up.

"Okay okay, chill dude. I'll go check on her..." he yawned, while his stomach began grumbled. "... after breakfast."

Josh began to argue, but Michael hung up.

Michael exited his house at 10:46 am, and as he began to walk down his porch, his foot hit a little cardboard box. He picked it up, puzzled, until he saw his name scribbled on the box in a red marker.

Feeling excited, he opened it and found a piece of paper and what seemed to be a large ring box. Unfolding the paper, he felt a chill creep down his spine. Written on the paper were the words "TRUTH OR DARE?" in a red marker... at least, he hoped it was a red marker and not what he was thinking about.

The situation was a little ironic. If he choose truth and wanted to learn the truth of what was in the little box, he'd have to open it. And if he choose dare, the taunting crimson letters would be daring him to open the box... and Michael was never one to back down from a dare.

Gulping, his trembling hands slowly moved to the black satin box. Cracking it open and peeking inside, he felt his insides freeze up. Michael let out a loud yell and dropped the box and scrambled away from it, while bending over and clutching his stomach, trying to not throw up.

Rolling out from the little box, was a bloody eye with an irise the color of the ocean, staring at him.

Author's note: hello hello :) i hope this made sense lol. i didn't have a lot of time left when this story idea came into my head. i may or may not write a sequel next week (it kinda depends on the prompts). hope that the person reading this stays safe, happy and healthy \(- 0 -)/

Author's note Part two: hjwsdlkjvnei reedsy won't let me publish this since its 56 words short im sorry i promise i'll write more next time \(T0T)\ anyways, ignore this message because it's just to add more words to my word count bjnjnqwiejcnsl

oof this is awkward why am i still short this is just sad at this point. by the way did you know that sometimes when you close your eyes, you can't see? haha i am humor.

August 20, 2021 06:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.