Murphy's (Against the) Law

Submitted into Contest #242 in response to: Write about an art thief who is struggling to commit the perfect heist.... view prompt

8 comments

Adventure Funny

Let me introduce myself, I'm Murphy, a gal whose clumsiness is as legendary as my charm. I'm the sort of person who could trip over an ant and somehow manage to knock down a skyscraper in the process. My friends often joke that I could turn a simple walk into a slapstick comedy routine. Despite my constant mishaps, my wide-eyed innocence and never-ending apologies make it hard for anyone to stay mad at me for long.

One bright afternoon, I decided to visit an antiques store. The store was a maze of delicate trinkets and priceless artifacts, a place where one wrong step could lead to disaster. True to form, I, with my usual lack of grace, managed to knock over not one, not two, but three glass vases. The vases teetered on the edge of their shelves, wobbled precariously, but miraculously, they didn't break.

However, my luck didn't last. The wobbling vases knocked into a solid wooden table. The table, sturdy and unyielding, didn't stand a chance against my unintentional domino effect. With a loud crack, one of the table legs gave way, and the antique table shattered into pieces. I was left standing amidst the wreckage, a look of horrified surprise on my face. 

Despite my propensity for unintentional destruction, I harbor a profound love for art. The allure of brush strokes, the vibrancy of colors, and the emotions that a single piece can evoke captivate me. I am irresistibly drawn to art galleries, entranced by the beauty that humans can create. I yearn to bring this beauty into my home, to immerse myself in the creativity and passion that each piece embodies.

However, my desire to own beautiful things is persistently challenged by my clumsiness. The numerous instances where I've accidentally knocked over a sculpture or sent a painting crashing to the floor are painful reminders of the delicate balance between my love for art and inherent clumsiness. This dance, one that often concludes with a broken piece of art and a broken heart, is a rhythm I've yet to master.

The financial implications of my clumsiness are significant. Art is not cheap, and the cost of replacing the pieces I've accidentally destroyed is escalating. While I'm willing to pay this price for the joy that art brings, it's becoming increasingly difficult to justify. I find myself trapped in a cycle of purchasing and breaking, a cycle as costly as it is heartbreaking.

The incident that led to the decision to attempt to steal a piece of art from the museum was a combination of admiration and a sense of injustice. It began on a regular day at the museum, where I was captivated by a vibrant landscape painting. However, the tranquility was shattered when a sculpture was destroyed by a group of unsupervised children climbing on it. The sight of the ruined sculpture, a piece of art I had admired, filled me with a deep sense of loss and anger.

This incident sparked a thought - if I could have the painting that had so captivated me in my own home, I could protect it from a similar fate. This thought grew into a decision, a decision to attempt to steal the painting to save it from potential destruction.

As soon as I made up my mind to steal the painting, I knew I had to become an expert on the museum's security. I spent countless hours observing the guards, noting their routines and shift changes. I scrutinized the placement of the security cameras, identifying their blind spots. I watched the visitors, paying close attention to the security checks at the entrance and exit. I understood that knowing the museum's security inside out was crucial for the heist's success.

I also realized that this was not a one-man job. I needed a team, people I could trust. So, I reached out to some old friends, individuals who had left their criminal pasts behind, just like I had. It took some convincing, but they agreed to help. We were all in this for the love of art, not for the money.

Once the team was assembled, we began to plan in earnest. We mapped out the museum, marking the location of the painting, the security cameras, the guards. We planned our route, the quickest way in and out. We discussed every possible scenario, every potential obstacle. We left nothing to chance.

We knew we needed a diversion, something to distract the guards and the security cameras. After much deliberation, we decided on a fake fire alarm. It was risky, but it could give us the few minutes we needed to grab the painting and get out.

The next few weeks were spent in intense rehearsal. We practiced our movements, our timing. We ran through the plan over and over, until we could do it in our sleep. We knew we only had one shot at this, and we couldn't afford to make any mistakes.

As the day of the heist approached, I felt a mix of fear and excitement. I knew what we were about to do was wrong, but I couldn't shake the feeling that it was the only way to save the painting. I reassured myself that we were doing this for the right reasons.

The night before the heist, I couldn't sleep. I went over the plan in my head, again and again. I thought about the painting, the way the colors seemed to come alive. I thought about the broken sculpture, the senseless destruction. I knew I was making the right choice.

On the day of the heist, I stood in front of the museum, my heart pounding in my chest. I looked at my team, saw the determination in their eyes. We were ready. It was time to put our plan into action.

Looking back at the meticulous planning that went into the heist, I realize the importance of understanding every aspect of the target and its surroundings. The success of a heist depends not only on a well-rehearsed plan but also on a reliable team.

Our meticulously crafted plan had accounted for every conceivable scenario, every potential hurdle. We had practiced our moves and timing repeatedly, ensuring precision. We believed we were prepared for everything. However, my inherent clumsiness, a trait I had always possessed but never considered as a potential risk, proved to be our downfall.

As we navigated through the museum, everything proceeded as planned. The decoy fire alarm had successfully created the desired chaos and confusion. The guards were preoccupied, and the security cameras were diverted. We were in and out within minutes, just as we had strategized. But then, catastrophe struck.

In my rush to exit the museum, I stumbled over a cord strewn across the floor. Despite my desperate attempts to regain balance, it was too late. I fell, and in doing so, knocked over a display case. The case housed an invaluable artifact, a priceless Ming Dynasty vase. It shattered into countless pieces, the sound reverberating through the eerily silent museum.

The moment the Ming vase shattered, a wave of panic washed over us. The sound of the priceless artifact breaking echoed through the museum, a chilling reminder of our failure. We froze, our hearts pounding in our chests, waiting for the inevitable alarm to sound. We braced ourselves for the deafening blare, the flashing lights, the rush of guards. But to our surprise, nothing happened.

The museum remained eerily silent, the only sound being our ragged breaths and the distant chaos caused by the fake fire alarm. We looked at each other, confusion etched on our faces. The alarm should have gone off, the security system should have been triggered. But it wasn't. There was no alarm, no rush of guards, no immediate consequence. It was as if the museum itself was in shock, unable to comprehend the destruction of such a priceless artifact.

In retrospect, my clumsiness was actually a blessing in disguise. While navigating through the museum, I bumped into a plug. At that moment, I didn't give it much thought, being too engrossed in the task at hand. However, unbeknownst to me, that plug was connected to the computer running museum's alarm system. When I bumped into it, I inadvertently disconnected it, disabling the alarms without even realizing it.

It was only after the vase shattered and the expected alarm failed to sound, that I began to piece together what had happened. The cord I had tripped over, the alarm that didn't go off - it all started to make sense. My clumsiness, which had caused the vase to shatter, had also saved me from immediate capture. It was an unexpected twist of fate that none of us could have predicted.

Our daring escape from the museum with the painting still sends a thrill down my spine. My team and I skillfully navigated the labyrinthine corridors of the museum, successfully absconding with the painting despite the unexpected obstacles that came our way. The painting, a priceless masterpiece, was meticulously handled and transported by one of my teammates while I spearheaded our escape.

Upon breaching the confines of the museum, our inconspicuous getaway van was strategically parked a few blocks away, seamlessly blending into the surroundings. Our driver, an indispensable part of our team, was on standby, primed for a rapid departure. We swiftly loaded the painting into the van, ensuring its safety and security. With a final, lingering glance at the museum, we executed our getaway, leaving behind a silent museum and a shattered vase as the sole testament to our audacious venture.

In a regrettable twist of fate, my inherent clumsiness led to a disastrous outcome. While making a swift getaway from the museum, I inadvertently jostled the driver's arm, causing the van to swerve uncontrollably. Tragically, an off-duty police officer’s unmarked car happened to be in the van's erratic path and was struck before we could steer the vehicle back on course. Within a matter of minutes, the area was swarming with law enforcement. Despite our desperate attempts to evade capture, my accomplices and I were apprehended, and the stolen painting was swiftly recovered. Consequently, I found myself behind bars, my clumsiness having transformed what initially seemed like a successful heist into a catastrophic failure.

March 15, 2024 22:12

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

8 comments

Krissa Svavars
17:57 Mar 23, 2024

Laughing out loud at her determination to own a priceless work of art knowing that in the future her clumsiness would somehow destroy it. Actually happy that she got caught. Even thou she really did have the right idea.

Reply

Denise Glickler
13:10 Mar 27, 2024

Thank you, and I agree...what made me giggle when writing it is having her want to 'save' the painting from the children vandals - and ignoring the fact that even if she'd succeeded and not been caught, she WAS an unintentional vandal.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Belladona Vulpa
11:39 Mar 23, 2024

I love how the clumsiness is both a blessing and a curse in the same story!

Reply

Denise Glickler
13:10 Mar 27, 2024

I love this comment, thanks. :) I wanted exactly that.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kristi Gott
02:22 Mar 26, 2024

Lol. I love the whimsical, madcap humor of this! We need stories like this one so we remember how to smile and laugh. Sorry she did get caught. Keep up the humor writing, Denise. You have a gift! :-)

Reply

Denise Glickler
13:10 Mar 27, 2024

You're going to make me blush!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
15:18 Mar 16, 2024

Lovely use of imagery, as usual. Lovely job !

Reply

Denise Glickler
13:10 Mar 27, 2024

Thanks so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.