0 comments

Romance

     The Ring of Truth

James Harrington Witherspoon III, Jimmy to his friends and family except for his mother, was a true English gentleman. He was due to inherit his grandfather's woolen-mill on his twenty-fifth birthday. The young man would also join the ruling strata of English gentlemen farmers. Along with the woolen mill, he would also inherit 5,000 acres of prime agricultural land in North Yorkshire, plus a further 3,000 acres on the Scottish borderland. He raised Aberdeen Angus cattle, along with Scottish Blackface and Border Leicester sheep.

Jimmy stood a one-half inch over six feet. Two blue eyes seemed to smile out of a handsomely chiseled face. The young man also sported a head full of thick blond wavy hair. Always cheerful and willing to help anyone in need, one couldn't help but like Jimmy. Phrases like a Jolly nice fellow, decent chap, and pleasant sort of bloke were often used to describe him. All in all, with his good looks, plenty of money, and pleasing personality, Jimmy had a very bright future ahead. Educated in Harrow, Jimmy applied for and was granted a place in Cambridge University, where he graduated with a lower first in Business Studies, plus a minor in animal and crop husbandry.

Of course, the young man was an attractive catch for the debutantes from the surrounding counties, although strangely, he didn't realize he was such an appealing bachelor. A shy person, he put up with grace, his mother's constant nagging and invitations for all the pretty young ladies to attend the parties she arranged every weekend in their country manor. Try as she might, Mrs. Ethel Sonia Witherspoon could not get him to settle down. She would browbeat him almost every day, her thin nose thrusting out from a once pretty face, her voice a grating nasal twang, which bored into his and everyone else's brain whenever she spoke.

"James darling, how on earth am I going to grow old in contentment, knowing that there are no heirs to the family fortune? You must get married, and marry soon; do you have any idea of the total embarrassment I suffer when we meet every week for afternoon tea at the charity county ladies' society?" In truth, James neither cared nor worried about his snobbish mother's social situation. Also, although he was due his inheritance in two months, he showed neither interest nor excitement at becoming exceedingly wealthy.

It happened by complete accident as though out of a children's fairy story, and it was an accident. While driving through the village of Upper Dunsforth, he was captivated as usual by the red clock face of St. Mary's Church, when his old Austen Healy ran into the back of a motorbike. He slammed on the brakes, opened the door, and ran over to ascertain the damage to the motorcycle and of course, render any aid for the biker who was rising slowly from the ground and massaging her rear end where it had made contact with the gravel beneath.

"I say," said James,

 "I'm so frightfully sorry. I was busy admiring the church clock, I just didn't see you." The girl turned around to face him, and his whole body shivered in surprise at the creature standing in front of him. She smiled back and replied,

"That's alright mate, I don't fink I have been hurt in any way, although I'm not so sure about the ruddy bike."

James managed to pull himself together,

 "Ah, yes, the bike." He replied.

"Once again, I'm so frightfully sorry but please don't worry, I'll pay for any damage." She smiled back at him and nodded her head in reply.

"My name's James Witherspoon by the way, but please call me Jimmy, all my friends do."

"I'm Barbara Jones, but everyone calls me Babs," the girl replied, in an accent that showed she was not on the same social strata as James.

"Well Babs, I'm very pleased to make you; There's a quaint little tea shop just around the corner from here that I often frequent. They have the most delicious muffins with raspberry jam, please allow me to treat you."

"Eh Yeah, Thanks a lot mate, I'd love to." She replied, with a coquettish smile and fluttering eyelashes.

 Barbara Jones was born into what is sometimes called the working class. Her father worked at various odd jobs, while her mother cleaned the offices of local businesses. Barbara left school at fifteen. She worked at nothing and was on the dole, or parish as it was known in that part of Yorkshire. What she did have was a beautiful figure along with a pretty smiling face. On more than one occasion, Barbara had used her physical attributes to earn a living. Glancing up at Jimmy, she took in his air of wealth, Austin Healy sports car, and his handsome face. Babs decided there and then that if he were a fish, he would be one hell of a catch.

Jimmy held open the door to the Cavendish Tearooms and pointed to a small rectangular setting by the window. The table was covered in a crisp white tablecloth on which stood a three-tiered silver cake stand advertising an assortment of muffins and cream cakes. The rest of the table displayed cups and saucers with an array of bright flowery designs. A dish with butter pats shaped like little barrels stood next to a clay honey pot advertising its contents with a painting of small bees on the pot's sides.

A waitress dressed in a crisp black and white skirt and blouse approaches and asks for their order.

"What type of tea do you prefer?" Jimmy asks.

 "Wif milk and sugar." Replies Babs.

"One black tea and a pot of Earl Grey please."

"What's Earl Grey when it's at home?" Babs enquires.

 "It's another variety of tea with a distinct aroma." Jimmy Replies.

"So, Jimmy, what do you do around here?"

"Not terribly much actually. You see in less than a month I turn twenty-five. On my birthday I will inherit a rather large business from my family and well, to tell the truth, I'm sitting rather pretty."

Babs immediately thought,

"Crikey, I'm on to a good fing ere if I plays me cards right."

During the repast, Jimmy makes halting attempts to engage her interest. A streetwise Babs doesn't take long to notice his stumbling, somewhat innocent attempts at conversation and decides to take advantage of her newfound potential goldmine.

"Jimmy. Do you live near here?"

"Yes, I do. Did you notice the large gated driveway lined with Chestnut trees about a mile back?" Babs thinks to herself, 'Christ, does he live there?' Just how bleeding rich is the guy?

"Wow! You mean you live in that big mansion back there that I seen through them trees? I've never been to a place like that before." She gives him a fake, innocent, awestruck smile.

"Tell you what Babs, if your free this coming Saturday, I would like it very much if you could join mother and me for afternoon tea. I'll be happy to show you around the estate."

"I'd love that, Jimmy." She replies.

"Jolly good, I'll introduce you to the old gal, but I should warn you, she can be quite sharp with her tongue."

"What's an old gal?" Babs enquires.

"Old Gal? Ah, it's just another name I use when referring to mother."

"What time do you want me to come around?" Babs asks.

"Well, tea is at 4:30pm so if you could be here around 2 pm that should give me time to show you the estate's immediate surroundings." After taking the motorbike to the local garage, the mechanic adjusts the engine making sure it runs smoothly. Babs mounts the bike gives Jimmy a sweet, sugar-laden smile, and departs with a wave and a coquettish eye flutter that melts his soul. Driving home on her bike a plan develops in her mind. Her plan is simple. Get him into bed and fool him into believing she is pregnant.

The following Saturday Babs motorbike can be heard as she wends her way along the tree-lined entrance to Jimmy's abode. She stops her bike in front of the mansion and wonders if and whom she must charm besides Jimmy.

Peeking out of her upstairs bedroom window, Jimmy's mother looks at Bab's and her mode of transport. One question enters her mind. What must I do to get rid of this young trollop? Anyone riding a motorbike cannot be a match for my son. How can I make James realize this young pretender is only after his money? Numerous ideas jump into her thoughts, but none of them please her. Mother decides to play the gracious hostess until she can figure a way to make the lad realize his mistake in falling into the young hussy's apparent plans to steal the family fortune.

During tea, Ethel is full of insincere smiles. In the supposed light chatter, she probes Babs background for family information. Not that she needs to; Babs working-class accent makes it evident.

That evening, after Bab's has departed, Ethel's mind is in turmoil as she tries to think of the most effective way to rid James of his obvious infatuation with the young floozy.

Later, while asleep, she has a nightmare in which James, dressed as a circus clown, is dancing in a jerky, uncoordinated manner. She then notices Bab's is controlling James' movements via strings attached to different parts of her son's body. The dream causes her to seek advice from the family solicitor.

 After carefully listening to his client's report, Mr. Davenport Senior, from Davenport and Son's, solicitors to anyone with money to spare, arrives at the conclusion that Ethel wants to scare her son into taking the actions she advises. Emotionally blind to the realization that Mr. Davenport has fleshed out what Mrs. Witherspoon wants; he suggests she takes the steps he knows she wants to employ.  

Next morning, while James is enjoying a breakfast of tomato juice, kippers, and fresh morning rolls with coffee, Ethel drops the bombshell she is sure will make her son take stock of his situation and realize his ridiculous infatuation with this Babs person. Ethel has no doubts James will see sense and arrive at the same conclusions as herself.

Immediately after James mother informs him, she intends to cut him off from everything he has been promised, James calmly wipes his lips with a napkin, stands erect, and tells his mother,

"Goodbye forever." He then walks sedately out of the dining room. For one of the few times in her life, Ethel opens her mouth to speak, but nothing comes out except air.

James retires to his bedroom, opens two calf leather bound suitcases, and packs his essential belongings into them. Next, James writes a short note to his mother in which he tells her he is in love with Babs and doesn't give a damn about the family fortune.

James puts the suitcases into the back of his Austin Healy and drives to the nearby town of Thirsk, where he has the keys to a little apartment. The following morning James enters a different bank, opens a new account, then attempts to transfer the money from his old bank to the new one. What Jimmy didn't realize, as he had forgotten his mother was a cosigner to James accounts and had foreseen what he intended to do. Ethel transferred all the money into her own private checking account, leaving Jimmy with no more than the few pounds in his wallet, plus his clothes and his car.

Realizing what had occurred, Jimmy was at first infuriated, but only for a couple of minutes. He had a future with Babs, and that was something his mother could never take from him.

Jimmy had arranged to meet Babs in Town that afternoon for lunch. The young man was sure she, like him, would understand that their mutual love would overcome any difficulties his now financially bankrupt situation presented.

Over lunch, Jimmy explained the situation to Babs. As he was telling her the bad news, Jimmy failed to see the shocked look on her face.

Babs then burst out crying, told him she agreed that he had done the right thing. Meanwhile, her mind was in turmoil trying to figure out a way to get him to return home and tell his mother he had come to his senses and returned to the family fold.

Pretending to be thinking out loud, she tells Jimmy that he shouldn't let his mother take away his rightful inheritance.

"Jimmy, my darling, look, I don't care about if we have money or not. I do fink though, that you shouldn't let your mom run your life like she owns you. Go back and ask her to forgive you. Then, when she does, we can secretly marry. I know our love for each other is more than any amount of money you may have Jimmy, but you deserve that money; I mean it should be yours. Whatever happens, I will always love you."

Fortified with Bab's so-called unconditional love, Jimmy drives home to utter a false apology for his childish behavior and actions. Babs meanwhile is thinking just how she will manage to separate Jimmy from his money. Not that it mattered in the end.

James returned home but wasn't given a chance to relate his false apology. Before he even began to ring the clarion sounding front doorbell, the butler opened the door and announced to James, that he was unwelcome in this home and that he had better clear off before he set the dogs on him. James stood there in shock, but only for a few seconds. He yelled loudly knowing his mother was waiting nearby and could hear him.

"Mother, you have stolen my inheritance, but you cannot in any way take the love Barbara, and I have for each other. Unlike you, mother, our mutual passion is both real and unconditional." James then turned around with his head held high and proud. All he could think about was the undying, eternal love he and Babs had for each other.

Arriving back in Thirsk, James goes straight to his apartment, where he spent the night getting to know Babs biblically.

He relays the episode that had occurred in what was going to be his estate. At first, Jimmy couldn't grasp what Babs was saying to him. He was aware of her high-pitched screaming; her curse words, and most of all, it wasn't just her words that destroyed him. It was the viciousness of her tone. Jimmy collapsed into a chair in front of her. Babs then spat at him and left the apartment without closing the door. In almost a trance, Jimmy left the apartment, got into his car, and drove away.

In a daze, Jimmy got into his car and drove off without thinking of where he was going. He found himself on a deserted beach by the North Sea. James got out of the car, walked into the ocean, and disappeared.

December 11, 2020 18:32

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.