"Beneath The Cloak Of Loyalty Lies A Dagger of Deceit"

Submitted into Contest #241 in response to: Start your story with an unexpected betrayal.... view prompt

2 comments

Historical Fiction American Sad

"Beneath The Cloak Of Loyalty

Lies A Dagger of Deceit"

        The Senate, a grand theater of political intrigue and power!  It is a place where ambition and loyalty collide. It's also a place where crimson drapes rise on betrayal. The echoes of ancient Rome reverberate through the marble corridors of power, and mahogany walls witness the rise and fall of empires.

        The Lady Senator's office, a sanctuary filled with secrets, offered a view of the manicured lawn—the facade of normalcy that masked the turmoil within. The room smelled of aged leather and unspoken truths.

        There she stood. Julius Caesar, they called her, the indomitable force. Now, she stands as a tragic figure, entangled in a web spun by fate and ambition. The press, like soothsayers, foretold doom.

        The Ides of March arrived—an ominous date etched in history. The Brutus of the present-day tale confessed—not with a dagger but with irrefutable evidence of betrayal. The Senate chambers echoed with gasps as the truth spilled forth: Magda, Magda!

        The final blade plunged deep. The Lady Senator stood there looking out to the beautifully manicured lawn, muttering over and over again, "Et tu, Brute?"

        How does one move on when so shattered? While she wore her stoicism like armor, the scars ran deep. She retreated while the media showed the world reacting—the faithful, the curious, and the judgmental. Some expressed sympathy; others reveled in her pain.

        The Ides of March is a symbol—a reminder that even the mightiest can fall. She pondered the ghosts of Caesar and Brutus, wondering how she would survive this betrayal.

        And so, now the Lady Senator, once viewed as a seasoned and skilled Julius Caesar. retreated into the shadows as a mosaic of broken promises. This date etched in the fragile chambers of her shattered soul.

        With her office doors closed, she turned her attention to her two-timing, double-crossing cheater, her Judas.

        He said, "Lady Senator, we need to talk."

        Wearing a mask of stoicism, she turned her entire being on him. "Talk?" Her laughter was brittle. “What more is there to say?" She paused and changed her facial expression to show how outrageous she found his need to air his issue.

        Enraged, she snarled, "Et tu, Brute?"

        He shifted uncomfortably as his eyes avoided hers. The weight of this political betrayal hung between them like a guillotine blade.

        "You know," he winced. "You know, it was a mistake."

        "A mistake?" Her stoicism was gone, and her eyes were now ablaze. The Lady Senator stepped closer. "You despicable fraud! You belittled me and betrayed the very essence of trust—our political pact!"

        He looked away, unable to meet her gaze. "I never meant—"

        "Never meant!" Her sarcastic voice rose.

        He clenched his fists.

        She scoffed. Her heart was a tempest of rage filled with deep, unspeakable sorrow. She seethed yet again and asked, "Et tu, Brute?"

        Her Brutus, the shatterer of her heart, looked up, his eyes betraying guilt. The room seemed smaller with the walls closing in. The drapes, crimson like blood, amplified the sense of treachery played out before them.

        The Lady Senator, a skilled orator, asked with a tone colder than the Senate's marble floors. "Et tu, Brute?"

        He flinched as if the words had struck him physically. His hands trembled, the weight of his crimes etched into every line on his face. Magda—the name hung between them like a specter.

        "I never meant—" he stammered, but the Lady Senator struck a professional pose and raised her hand to silence him as though he was a blabbering idiot.

        "You never meant?" Her laughter was hard, sharp, and sarcastic!

        As his eyes pleaded for forgiveness, forgiveness was a luxury that the Lady Senator could no longer afford. The Senate—a modern-day Julius Caesar Senate—had already passed judgment. The irrefutable evidence was now inscribed into history like the Ides of March.

        He hung his head, unable to meet her gaze. The room seemed to tilt, the historical portraits watching in silence. The wounded Lady Senator stepped closer to him as her fingers traced the edge of the desk—the same desk where their alliance was forged.

        The Lady Senator's voice dripped with bitterness. "Passion is loyalty, commitment—a fire that burns even in the darkest hours."

        His eyes still pleaded for forgiveness.

        She stepped back, her resolve hardening. The ghost of Caesar loomed large in front of her, the mighty leader brought to his knees and ultimately his death by betrayal. The Lady Senator wondered if she, too, would be immortalized in tragedy.

        "Perhaps it's the intoxication of power—the belief that one can defy consequences," she said.

        His eyes finally met her eyes. "What now?"

        She straightened; her spine unyielding. "The Ides of March have come," she said.

        As she walked away from him and back around her desk, the curtains rustled, carrying echoes of their confrontation. The air shifted.

Breathing heavily and striving to maintain control, she asked, "Did Magda know the consequences of her actions before she agreed to participate in your plot? Did she understand that her co-conspiring with you would echo through history?"

        He looked up, tears glistening in his eyes, and now she laughed—a bitter, broken sound. "Tears! Tears do not..."

        And then, with the weight of history upon her, the Lady Senator turned away. She simply was unable to talk. 

        With the opening of her office door, the curtains rustled, and she stepped into the corridor. She was the betrayed, the one-time indomitable force, the modern-day Julius Caesar. The Ides of March had come, and her fate now awaited.

        Behind her, her one-time trusted and esteemed colleague—her modern-day Brutus.

        As they walked single-file down the hall, they could feel the corridor's airflow carrying echoes of their confrontation.

        When they reached the Senate chambers, the world was waiting and watching what their next move would be.

        Senate Pages opened the Senate Chamber doors for her.

        The Lady Senator entered and found herself standing at the crossroads, torn between two opposing forces. On one side were the accusers: the senators, the public, the moralists who demanded justice. Ready to strike, they brandished their daggers of righteousness and used their voices to echo the ancient political cries of betrayal. They called for retribution!

        On the other side were the liars: the spin doctors, the loyalists, the defenders of her throne. They wove intricate narratives, casting doubt on the evidence, questioning Magda's motives, and painting her formerly esteemed colleague as a victim of a political vendetta. They whispered in her ear to remain resolute. They urged her to protect the legacy.

        With her heart on the battleground, she had been the venerated Lady Senator, the keeper of secrets, the silent witness while they weathered political storms and scandals. This betrayal, though, stood to shatter everything. She needed distance to survive such treachery.

        As Julius Ceasar did in his era, she stood on a political cliff. The Senate trial loomed, and the verdict would echo through history. Should she be the loyalist or the avenging angel demanding justice?

        She decided to choose neither side.  Instead, she withdrew from the public eye to become a silent observer. She needed isolation to shield herself and nurse her wounds. She let the accusers and the liars battle on.

        In the end, her fellow countrymen were all left to openly discuss and ponder the cost of loyalty and the fragility of trust.

        As she stood alone, her modern-day political tragedy was etched in the annals of American history.

        Before exiting the Senate Chambers, the mighty Lady Senator stood for all to see one last time, a haunting echo of the once-mighty Julius Caesar. In today's forum, she is held out as the symbol of shattered dreams and lost trust. The sprawling corridors of government power once spoke her name in revered tones. Unfortunately, today, the Senate Chambers bore witness to her undoing. This revealed the dual nature of her strength and vulnerability, mirroring the rise and fall of Caesar. The betrayal, like the serpent, always slithering through the hallowed halls. Brutus, the last to betray her, was her undoing. His dagger, sharp and merciless, impaled her trust. As the most powerful Lady Senator collapsed, her smashed hopes reverberated like a seismic tremor.

        Wrapped in the center of this tragedy, she exited the Senate Chamber as both victim and legend. Despite her stoicism, she historically became a symbol of shattered dreams and lost trust, forever entwined with the ghosts of emperors past. She was a modern-day Julius Ceasar, and like oracles of old, the press prophesied the impending tempest lurking beyond the horizon. There was no denying the truth. The dagger that stabbed her was the unmasking of the stain on the submitted evidence. He stabbed her; he indeed did!

        After retreating from the senatorial arena, the Lady Senator formerly withdrew from public life. In search of solace, she retreated to her study, tears flowing as she replayed the echoes of her tragic downfall in her mind.

        She tried to heal by pondering the nature of betrayal and seeking answers to relevant questions. Was it a flaw in human character, an inherent weakness? Or was power simply corrupt?

        She finally came to the point where she could stop sobbing and examine several healing programs. Someone—some force—needed to help her collect the splintered pieces of herself. She needed to heal and move forward with her life.

        Unfortunately, the critical question was, How do you heal after being ravaged?

        In the seclusion of her retreat, she created a sanctuary for her wounded soul. She desired a space where she could transition from the darkness of her past to the light of healing. She worked to shed the betrayal, the masks, and move on to healing her soul. Consequently, she created:

1. The Reflection Forum: In this chamber, she faced mirrors—literal and metaphorical. She confronted the reflections, dissecting choices and vulnerabilities. Through meditation, she discovered solace amidst the turmoil, a beacon of hope on her path to healing.

2. The Resilience Garden: Amidst blooming roses, she, a wounded soul, continued to plant seeds of resilience. Each petal held a story wherein, if a betrayal survived, a heart mended. Tending to the roses and nurturing them instead of spending her time sobbing about how deeply wounded she'd become led to her emotional mending.

3. Empathy Library: Shelves upon shelves sagged under the weight of written accounts of betrayal, forgiveness, and redemption. Reading one account at least once a day helped her secure relevant answers. Ultimately, she planned to pen her own memoir. "Beneath The Cloak Of Loyalty Lies A Dagger of Deceit," or simply "Stabbed by Trust," would realistically help guide others through their darkness.

4. A Forgiveness Fountain: Water danced and even danced in the moonlight, cleansing wounds. Forgiveness seemed to flow like a river, washing away anger, leaving a fresh, clean space to wrap yourself in.

        As her shadows of darkness passed into the brightness of sunlight, the healing continued as the years passed. She wore her betrayal like a scar—a continual reminder that the mighty do fall. When confronted by a roving reporter nowadays, she faces them, her eyes always reflecting deep pain.

        On March 15, 2024, the Ides of March find the former ferocious Lady Senator, a Julius Caesar of sorts, living.

March 15, 2024 03:51

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Elina Feliu
18:47 Mar 16, 2024

Thank you for your comments. The reason why I only referred to her as "Lady Senator" was to stay within the federal govt's custom of referring to their people as "Mr. Speaker". I also thought that by restricting it to "Lady Senator" help to build a more powerful parallel between her and Julius Caesar. While I did worry about overusing "stoicism" and "Et Tu, Brute", her emotional state was such that people just find it hard to articulate their issues in detail. During the chapter depicted, the verbal exchange generally is brief and repeti...

Reply

Show 0 replies
David Sweet
16:50 Mar 16, 2024

I enjoyed the parallels, but I was still wanting to know what the betrayal was! I think by giving more details, as the reader, we can gain more sympathy for this character. I also think that giving her a name would help. We see the obvious parallels, but we need to humanize her, empathize with her, so that her contributions at the end have more weight. I also think that your use of stoicism and the phrase "Et tu, Brute," may be a little overused as well. Save it for that moment she truly feels the depth of the betrayal. I think a little long...

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.